Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid full price for this car, why am I forced to deal with so many ads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Tesla is exploiting the fact that I need to use the app and allow notifications for regular usage of my car, and they are using that advantage to push ads at me.

In other words, my car is spamming me and I can't do anything to stop it other than to disable some core functionality. Not sure why everyone thinks this is normal and OK.

edit: Or can I? This app setting seems new, and seems promising. Maybe I'll just go back to complaining about the menu. 🤪

You get 1 notification when you first get the app/car, then you shouldn't ever again unless you agree to the terms and conditions.

I mentioned this up thread, but I have gotten 2 of these since I got my car in 2018, so its >1 but I dont know many people who consider "2" to be "a lot".

Did you re-install the app at one point? My wife and I have one had the original and none since. Even when we upgrade phones each year, it's not there.
I have re installed the app a couple of times over the years since 2018, yes. Not recently though (and I did not get this push notification the OP is talking about, that sounds like it went out recently)

You get 1 notification when you first get the app/car, then you shouldn't ever again unless you agree to the terms and conditions.

I've had a MX over four years, I've had a MY over a year, I've never reinstalled the app, and I haven't agreed to those terms and conditions.

Seems like a sign of desperation at Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm not going out of my way, nor digging into sub menus. 8% of the *main menu* is ads. That seems unusual to me for a car. No?
8% based on what measurement? The main menu doesnt have any ads at all that I can see, unless you consider a button that reaches another page that contains options that can be purchased online. By that logic a grocery stores should not be showing price labels ("How dare they advertise what price I have to pay!").

Not once has an ad showed in the app for me or the wifey ... over the years we've owned 5 (about to be 6) Teslas ...

You and the wifey are on same account, no? So that's one vs. the three people in this thread saying they have received spam like this.

Maybe you didn't get this message because you are (or are not) on some list the solar sales group maintains. Or maybe the difference is Android vs iOS. Or maybe it went to a randomized selection of customers.

Anyway, I was annoyed but if I hadn't seen this thread I would have forgotten about it. Spam is a part of life these days.

Reactions: lensovet
Again, super weird that the overwhelming majority response to my complaint about ads in the car sums up to:

"The ads aren't that big"
"That's not an ad, it's just a link to stuff they want to sell you"
if your post was just about the Loot Box, it would be reasonable as there are others that had a notification for it, but with the added "8% of the menu is ads" troll...no one is taking it seriously.

Again, super weird that the overwhelming majority response to my complaint about ads in the car sums up to:

"The ads aren't that big"
"That's not an ad, it's just a SHOP NOW button linking to stuff they want to sell you"
I mean, the "upgrades" button is just objectively NOT an advertisement. It's a necessary and even useful vehicle control to enable features exclusively relevant to the operation of said vehicle, buried at the bottom of a menu you have to actively click into to find.

The idea that it's an "ad" in the same way as an unsolicited push notification to buy solar is patently stupid.

Furthermore, it's pretty easy to disable push notifications for "ads" in the app too, ya? Profile -> Settings -> News and Events

Last edited:
I mean, the "upgrades" button is just objectively NOT an advertisement........
I don't know. Seems Tesla is being a little disingenuous and using advertising trickery to get us to click on it.

IMG_2146.jpeg

if your post was just about the Loot Box, it would be reasonable as there are others that had a notification for it, but with the added "8% of the menu is ads" troll...no one is taking it seriously.

If the thread title was something like:

"Did anyone else get this Push notification and find it intrusive?"

and the content was about surprise about getting a push notification from tesla, this thread would look quite a bit different, and likely have almost universal agreement. With that being said, It appears to me that the thread title was not picked at random, it was picked to "get conversation going", which it has obviously succeeded at.

Sounds like OP is actually disgruntled by the price drops and wants a ‘premium experience’ without ‘ads’ since he paid extra
You likely nailed it.
The VAST majority of Trolls, Tesla haters, and Tesla Bashers on this forum have felt scorned for something they feel they are entitled to but of course aren’t. And when you tell those people “No, Tesla doesn’t give customers things they aren’t entitled to”, they attack, and inevitably show up here, because how dare you tell them no.
You also have short sellers that lost their shirts, oil company staff, competing auto makers, media, etc. the list is long.