Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I pick up my car on Friday - Yay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Lennier....I've got a S70 coming and was just wondering....I guess I'd do a 100% range charge before taking off of a trip between Melbourne to Sydney (giving me around 310km's) and then just the top charges that give me enough juice until the next SC at each stop (with the exception of a range charge when in Wodonga and maybe Goulburn).

Usually when I do this trip in an ICE car I stop for 1-2 hours in Albury and 1 hour in Goulburn.....that was when single....now with wife/child it's usually the same but with an additional 100 stops for toilet runs and the like....;-)

Last edited:
Thanks Lennier....I've got a S70 coming and was just wondering....I guess I'd do a 100% range charge before taking off of a trip between Melbourne to Sydney (giving me around 310km's) and then just the top charges that give me enough juice until the next SC at each stop (with the exception of a range charge when in Wodonga and maybe Goulburn).

Usually when I do this trip in an ICE car I stop for 1-2 hours in Albury and 1 hour in Goulburn.....that was when single....now with wife/child it's usually the same but with an additional 100 stops for toilet runs and the like....;-)

Probably no need to range charge (other than to relieve any anxiety!) as the best strategy (as you say) is to arrive at a supercharger with a low state of charge and only charge as much as needed to get to the next supercharger with a suitable safety margin. This both reduces the number of full charges you do (which can potentially affect battery performance longer term) and gives you the least charging time since the battery charges faster at the lower charge states and slows down increasingly as it approaches full charge. If Gundagai is still missing then yes you'd need a range charge at Wodonga I guess.

That said I've not actually done a supercharger trip yet so I'm only repeating the advice I've seen on the fora over the past months. I intend to do Melbourne to Sydney in January so I'll see how I go. My place to Euroa is theoretically only about 30kWh so a normal 90% charge should get me there with plenty to spare. You should romp it in in a 70D without range charging :)

Typical man. Got what he wanted. And now he never calls......

Thr car is amazing... Gotta say it was well worth the wait. The cars pulling up behind me at the lights with mobile phones flashing was kinda funny.

I drove to geelong to see my brother and his family... Tried a few launches. That is not getting old fast. Amazing car. Still grinning.

i got home with 13km left according to the trip planner so all in all an unbelievable experience.

i was told by James I'll get v7.0 in the next 24 hours...

- - - Updated - - -

Typical man. Got what he wanted. And now he never calls......

har har, not quite I was busy driving and experiencing all the car has to offer... Hearing my nieces and nephews say do it again is something I won't forget.

Geelong and back with only 13km left? That was more than a 'few' launches :) Congratulations! Surprised they didn't load V7.0 on it for delivery though.

Maybe a few more... I think it was slightly less than 80% charged, but it was a lot of fun showing my nieces and nephews and hearing them all say go again... something I won't forget in a while. What an amazing car. Yeah James said it will be available in the next 6-12 hours. I guess I'll check tomorrow am when I get up. I must admit seeing people pointing and mobile phones taking pictures is going to take some getting used to.

Maybe a few more...  I think it was slightly less than 80% charged, but it was a lot of fun showing my nieces and nephews and hearing them all say go again...  something I won't forget in a while. What an amazing car. Yeah James said it will be available in the next 6-12 hours. I guess I'll check tomorrow am when I get up. I must admit seeing people pointing and mobile phones taking pictures is going to take some getting used to.

Yeah the attention is strange. I ordered the car expecting it to be pretty stealth and under the radar given it's not especially shouty. I guess it is for people who don't know about them, but Tesla have had so much publicity lately that there's a lot of people who recognise them now and they're still rare enough to get a lot of attention from that crowd!

I would agree with what I call the "Automotive Royalty Effect"(A.R.E.). In fact it was Geelong about 2 weeks ago when my wife and I went down to visit friends for a late lunch that we experienced one of longest A.R.E's. Took us 1.5hrs to get away from the crowd of people stopping to quiz and get pictures etc.. Freaked my wife out a little as they where very keen to know all about the car and she reacted to not being confident on all the technology side. I still recon I could sell Model S- done that many walk thru's since January. The other thing that will be a buzz is people in traffic will be leaning out of cars taking rolling pictures or tradies jumping out of their utes at the lights take walk around picture then jump back in the ute and zoom off. Thens theres the Nismo nuts in the skylines busting to have a go..... Where possible I oblige - carefully.

Maybe a few more...  I think it was slightly less than 80% charged, but it was a lot of fun showing my nieces and nephews and hearing them all say go again...  something I won't forget in a while. What an amazing car. Yeah James said it will be available in the next 6-12 hours. I guess I'll check tomorrow am when I get up. I must admit seeing people pointing and mobile phones taking pictures is going to take some getting used to.
Congratulations! Hoping James looks after me on monday :biggrin:. Get used to being noticed, and harassed when you park. Strangers just walk up and talk to you.

Congratulations! Hoping James looks after me on monday :biggrin:. Get used to being noticed, and harassed when you park. Strangers just walk up and talk to you.

The funniest thing so far was pulling in to Tesla at Richmond and watching a girl walk right in front of the car she simply didn't hear me coming. Followed by a whole family taking pictures 1 by 1 as I sat waiting for a table at Top Paddoch.