Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I placed two orders. 1st without 3rd row, 2nd with 3rd row.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

TLDR: Is it likely I can trade in my 1st order after delivery in September for my 2nd order (scheduled for delivery in December) and recoup my entire purchase price (~57k).

Long version:

I originally placed an order for a model Y without the 3rd row (57k) because I didn't think I'd want it. This model Y should be delivered in September.

I then decided I wanted a 3rd row instead. They told me the wait for a 3rd row would be ~December - January and it would be subject to all the price increases ($1000) between now and when I made the original order.

So instead I just made a 2nd order with the 3rd row figuring I could always just cancel my 1st order and take the $100 loss for the order if I have to. (or vice versa with the 2nd order)

What I'd really like to do is take the 1st Tesla. Enjoy Tesla life. Then trade that one for the one with a 3rd row.

Can I do this without losing money on the trade? If a trade doesn't make sense, I'm also okay with selling it.

If you think tesla will give you same amount of money you paid for car with 4 months of miles on it, you are mistaken. They need to add markup on it to make money too.

Carvana or Carmax may give you fat stacks of cash, but you will have to pay taxes on the sale of the vehicle, reducing your profit.

No free lunches and you will lose money on the deal, but might be minimal. Market is nuts, who knows.

If you think tesla will give you same amount of money you paid for car with 4 months of miles on it, you are mistaken. They need to add markup on it to make money too.

Carvana or Carmax may give you fat stacks of cash, but you will have to pay taxes on the sale of the vehicle, reducing your profit.

No free lunches and you will lose money on the deal, but might be minimal. Market is nuts, who knows.
I'm not concerned about the profitability of it. I'm just tired of this ICE. But if I'm losing money instead of breaking even, then I'll just wait the extra 3 months for the 3rd row.