Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I predict those 21" wheels will break at the hub.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've looked at these new 21 inch turbine wheels, and I don't like them for a few reasons.

If the Model 3 was breaking 20 inch rims on a good pothole, what do you think will happen with even larger wheels, despite the slightly bigger tire size? They will give a fairly rough ride, and tires are very expensive in 21 inch.

It's been proven that bigger rims give worse efficiency, and Tesla charges big money for them on top of that. Not economically efficient.

But most importantly, they are going to be structurally weak. They've got no diagonal bracing or support between the hub and rim. Compare to the Model 3 Aero wheels, lots of diagonals. None in these turbine 21 inchers. It's bad enough that Teslas make lots of power, but then you've got regen also. So these wheels are going to be getting flexed hard, both when speeding up and slowing down.

Yeah I know, the wheels had to pass testing to get approved for manufacture, but wait until people start putting real world miles on these things. Those turbine blades will be cracking at the hub end. You heard it here first!

Maybe I'm not first with this prediction, but I don't read the Y section a lot, so maybe someone already wrote about it, but whatever. Don't buy 21 inch wheels, stick with the 19's for maximum winning.

I think the 21" wheels look great on the car, but I also think Tesla might have gone a bit too big. Honestly I wish they sold the PUP with the 20" Induction wheels instead.. but this is what we get and honestly I am not too worried and the more I see them, the more I think they look awesome.

To your concern about them breaking at the hub, if you look at the point where the spokes meet the outer wheel, it actually gets quite thick there and there are a LOT of "spokes" (not sure what else to call them). I have had wheels with much less surface area and fewer "spokes", like the M3 Competition Wheels. I have Zero worries about these breaking like you said, they look really solid to me compared to many many other wheels I have seen.

wheels.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I find it interesting that the wheels don't have exposed lug nuts. I wonder if you're supposed to poke that little hole under the tesla logo kinda like a sim try on a phone...
I'm a complete noob when it comes to wheels/rims, but would it be possible to put these uber wheels on a model 3? I know the hit to range, pot holes, etc, but I've wanted these rims since the reveal, and am trying to see how i can make it work....

I am curious as to see what wheels could fit on the cars with PUP if we wish to avoid this but keep the other upgrades. Could the 19" Gemini wheels (or whatever they're called on the Y) fit, like how the Model 3 versions can on the performance models? (Right now you can buy them for the Model 3 performance oddly enough as a winter tire set in the USA, not sure if they're different for the model y aside from the tire size difference or if even that version would work on the Model Y)

I find it interesting that the wheels don't have exposed lug nuts. I wonder if you're supposed to poke that little hole under the tesla logo kinda like a sim try on a phone...
I'm a complete noob when it comes to wheels/rims, but would it be possible to put these uber wheels on a model 3? I know the hit to range, pot holes, etc, but I've wanted these rims since the reveal, and am trying to see how i can make it work....
Yeah, it looks like that pinhole on the center cap is used to access them, probably comes with a prying tool.

I am curious as to see what wheels could fit on the cars with PUP if we wish to avoid this but keep the other upgrades. Could the 19" Gemini wheels (or whatever they're called on the Y) fit, like how the Model 3 versions can on the performance models? (Right now you can buy them for the Model 3 performance oddly enough as a winter tire set in the USA, not sure if they're different for the model y aside from the tire size difference or if even that version would work on the Model Y)
There will be plenty of aftermarket manufacturers with options in the coming months.

The brake rotors diameter is the same on the normal Model Y as the PUP version so 19s will fit. On the Model 3, the standard rotors were 13.2", the PUP on that car was 14". That is why some wheels wouldn't fit. But since the Model Ys all have the same brake rotors diameter it won't matter.

Reactions: EfficientWatts