Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I pulled the trigger on a Model S, just have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

anon52695

I have been waiting for a model 3 very impatiently, but the right buy came along and purchased a 2015 85D. Pick up hopefully in the next couple of weeks. This will be my first Tesla and I am excited.

It was a CPO and I am trying to figure out things I need to check on the vehicle and what Tesla is responsible for. I have searched online but have not found a clear answer on what to check before I take delivery. I have been able to gather up a few things but looking for more information and something official from Tesla if there is anything.

I also have a question on the features included with Autopilot and Convenience Features. They changed with the tech package and haven't been able to find what started becoming standard with the Convenience Features package.

Anyways all the best, looking forward to a somewhat new Tesla.

Congratulations and welcom to the forum.

I also have a pre-owned 85 D. The tech package has the power lifitgate and navigation, along with full AP1 hardware and software features. I can't remember what else came in the package.

Mine has the premium interior package, but the premium lighting was a seperate package when mine was built in 2015.

GSP

If your Model S was built after October 1, 2014 it has Autopilot hardware. If it was built prior to that it does not. Another way to tell is that vehicles with Autopilot have a camera above the inside rear view mirror. Good luck!

I have been waiting for a model 3 very impatiently, but the right buy came along and purchased a 2015 85D. Pick up hopefully in the next couple of weeks. This will be my first Tesla and I am excited.

It was a CPO and I am trying to figure out things I need to check on the vehicle and what Tesla is responsible for. I have searched online but have not found a clear answer on what to check before I take delivery. I have been able to gather up a few things but looking for more information and something official from Tesla if there is anything.

I also have a question on the features included with Autopilot and Convenience Features. They changed with the tech package and haven't been able to find what started becoming standard with the Convenience Features package.

Anyways all the best, looking forward to a somewhat new Tesla.

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to TMC! Hope you'll be enjoying your 85D very soon.

In order to figure out the options and features on your soon-to-be 85D, it'll help know what packages were available at the time the car was configured. Prior to about March or April 2015, there was a Tech Package available, which included (among other things) navigation, AutoPilot (HW1), fog lights, power liftgate, and lighted door handles. After that date, the Tech Package was discontinued, and the various options that made it up were made standard (navigation), put into the new Autopilot Convenience package (Autopilot, duh), or the premium package (power liftgate, etc.). More details can be found here:

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

(The wiki is not my work, but I think what I wrote above is consistent with it. Note that the options have been re-juggled several more times since 2015, so the descriptions of the options packages for today's new cars won't be much help to you.)

I've seen a couple of checklists for taking delivery, but they were written for new deliveries, not CPOs. As far as I know there isn't anything official from Tesla.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: whitex
Congrats! That's the model I recently bought and I love it. Part of me has regret as for another 5k (after tax rebate), I could have had a newer model with AP2, but life is full of regrets! At the time, AP2 was getting a lot of negative press, but has since improved for the most part.

Bring a tape measure with you to measure any scratches. I forgot one and it I didn't get a chance to measure any scratches. Fortunately, my SC had their detailer work on them after the fact.

What @bmah said about the tech package - if your car has Tech Package and AP1 hardware, you have AutoPilot enabled. I don't know how many (or any) 85D's were built without AP hardware, but I couldn't find any currently available CPO's that are 85 and D but no AP hardware. ACF is just a name for enabling AP1 autopilot auto-steer and TACC features (safety features are on regardless).

What @bmah said about the tech package - if your car has Tech Package and AP1 hardware, you have AutoPilot enabled. I don't know how many (or any) 85D's were built without AP hardware, but I couldn't find any currently available CPO's that are 85 and D but no AP hardware. ACF is just a name for enabling AP1 autopilot auto-steer and TACC features (safety features are on regardless).

All Dual Motor cars have AP1 hardware (except for newer cars with AP2 hardware, of course.) They started installing AP1 hardware on all cars a couple weeks before the Dual Motor + AP announcement.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore
All Dual Motor cars have AP1 hardware (except for newer cars with AP2 hardware, of course.) They started installing AP1 hardware on all cars a couple weeks before the Dual Motor + AP announcement.

Yep and specifically all 85Ds and P85Ds have AP1 hardware because those battery configurations were discontinued before the introduction of AP2.

Bruce.

Thanks of all the replies. I think i figured it out, it is a late 2015 build and according to the link sent by @bmah and his information all makes sense now I just wanted to confirm it. This is what I have found if helpful.

Also on April 8, 2015 Tesla made some significant changes to the Model S option packages.

The following are now standard features of all S models as of April 8, 2015. (note that the previous Tech Package no longer exists)...

• Free long distance travel on the Tesla SuperCharger Network
  • Automatic Keyless Entry
  • Parking Sensors
  • Power-folding and heated Side Mirrors
  • Maps and Navigation with real time traffic updates
  • LED daytime running lights
  • Blind Spot Warning system
  • Automatic emergency braking
  • 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty on all Model S
  • GPS enabled Homelink
  • Lane Departure Warning system
Also connected with

Many of the new and future Autopilot features are now a bundled macro option which is made available in the Autopilot Convenience Features Option (ACFO). ACFO can be retrofitted after the fact via a software upgrade option (fee based) if your model S was built with all of the ACFO sensors, cameras and radars (typically built in the latter part of 2014):

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (currently shipping)
  • Lane Keeping with Automatic Steering (future feature - released October 15, 2015)
  • Parallel Self-Parking (future feature - released October 15, 2015)
  • Automatic High/Low Beam headlights (currently shipping)

@FlyF4 I sure hope not :)

Thanks for all the help, ill reach out to tesla to get more information. Ill see how the delivery process goes as well and keep an eye open on the car and make sure it looks good and up to par.

One thing you might want to ask Tesla about is the seats. I believe there were three seat options then:
Multi-pattern (mostly cloth)
Original leather
Next generation

On the first two, the headrests leaned forward and support for the upper back was poor for some people, though some people like them. The next generation seats are more comfortable for more people, though some people have found the size of the side bolsters on the seats to be uncomfortable. I had the multi-pattern seats and paid to upgrade to the next generation after delivery (which can cost a fair bit more than ordering them with the car because they have to junk the original seats, they have a policy about not reusing used parts).

If you want to feel next generation seats, they are very close to the seats in the cars being built now (they modified them a little and I think they are using the Model X frame on the seats now, but the current seats and the 2015 next gen are close enough you probably couldn't tell the difference).