Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I purchased a samsung micro sd endurance 128g card and a sandisk reader. it does not work. HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched a you tube on how to setup my tesla cam to capture video when on Sentry Mode. they suggested I purchase a Samsung Micro SD Endurance 128 card with a SandDsk reader. I had to download a software to format it to a FAT32 since I have a windows 10. After all this I plug it in and I don't see anything pop up on the right corner. It doesn't seem to be able to read it.
I checked and it says formatted in FAT32.. Can anyone help .. and yes I do have a TeslaCam folder on this card created.

Hello - I would start would these:

Have you tried both front USB ports ?
Are you seeing any status lights on the reader light up when you plug it into the USB ports ?
Have you confirmed the front USB ports are functioning correctly ?
Have you tried it with a different flash drive ?
What SanDisk reader are you using ?
Have you tried a reset ?

Just the other day I checked my microSD card (a Samsung Endurance 128GB in a U-Green card reader) in my laptop to see what the rear camera footage looks like with v10 and afterwards reinserted it in my car. Didn't see the icon appear. Checked it and figured out that it hadn't been inserted completely. Thought I had put it in all the way too. Apparently not. Second time inserting it the camera icon came up. Pressed it and the TeslaCam red light came on to say it was working. Could that be your issue as well? Honestly sounds like you have done what you need to do so that's the only thing that came to mind.

BTW my Samsung Endurance card has worked great since buying it.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I watched a you tube on how to setup my tesla cam to capture video when on Sentry Mode. they suggested I purchase a Samsung Micro SD Endurance 128 card with a SandDsk reader. I had to download a software to format it to a FAT32 since I have a windows 10. After all this I plug it in and I don't see anything pop up on the right corner. It doesn't seem to be able to read it.
I checked and it says formatted in FAT32.. Can anyone help .. and yes I do have a TeslaCam folder on this card created.

OP, as others mentioned, I would recommend checking the easy stuff first. I just purchased the exact same items (same card, same usb adapter) and they work fine in the car.

Try these things, in no specific order.

1. Check to ensure the sd card is fully seated in the adapter.
2. Check to ensure that the USB adapter is all the way pushed into the USB port in the car
3. Check to make sure the TeslaCam folder is created with the exact spelling
4. Re format the drive again, ensuring that it is actually formatted with fat32 (not exfat as they come by default). I used guiformat to format it but you can also do so manually with commands in the command line should you choose to do so.
3. Try the other USB port.
4. Reboot the car, try 2 and 3 again.

thank you for all your suggestions.. I tried it and I can read the card fine using he usb adapter on my computer and I can see the TeslaCam folder so I don't think any of these are the problem I even do properties on this card and see it is formatted to FAT32. Only thing I can think of is it's to big? i is a 128g card could that be it?

I will try rebooting the Tesla and see if that helps if not I guess I just live with no video unless I get a regular usb thumb drive which some people say is not mean to be rewritten over and over. but what else can I do ..
thanks again

thank you for all your suggestions.. I tried it and I can read the card fine using he usb adapter on my computer and I can see the TeslaCam folder so I don't think any of these are the problem I even do properties on this card and see it is formatted to FAT32. Only thing I can think of is it's to big? i is a 128g card could that be it?

I will try rebooting the Tesla and see if that helps if not I guess I just live with no video unless I get a regular usb thumb drive which some people say is not mean to be rewritten over and over. but what else can I do ..
thanks again
Nope, I use a Samsung 256, works (and has always) just fine.
Can you post a pic of the driver format and TeslaCam folder just to be sure? Not doubting, just wondering if it's setup correctly.

thanks again

I have that exact drive (the 128 version) with the exact USB adapter you have, so its definitely compatible. I would suggest starting with grabbing a spare USB you have around somewhere, formatting it fat32, putting the TeslaCam folder on there, and seeing if it works in the car. My gut feeling tells me that the issue is likely related to how you have it formatted, even if you are checking the properties on the drive.

I have that exact drive (the 128 version) with the exact USB adapter you have, so its definitely compatible. I would suggest starting with grabbing a spare USB you have around somewhere, formatting it fat32, putting the TeslaCam folder on there, and seeing if it works in the car. My gut feeling tells me that the issue is likely related to how you have it formatted, even if you are checking the properties on the drive.
Yep, screenshots would help so we would know if its formatted properly and the right folder installed. Hard to troubleshoot otherwise.

As I mentioned I'm using the same exact microSD card you have.

One video review on Amazon for that reader said their's wobbled (didn't fit all the way in and could be shifted side to side) in their laptop connection. Is yours solid in the Tesla connector? @jjrandorin had a good checklist to go through.

Since you mentioned you put properties on this microSD card, how much available space do you have?

Don't give up on getting this to work, it's a valuable security resource to have.

If it’s from Amazon is it possible they sent you a counterfeit drive? If you got it from Best Buy or Target or someplace where it’s not a 3rd party seller potentially then I would be more trusting.

I’m not sure of a way to verify a USB drive is legit but maybe do some speed test and see if that part at least checks out.

hmm running out of ideas.. tried all the ones everyone suggested.. by the way thank you to everyone for trying to help..
Yes, I can read the sd card on my laptop using the same reader I plug into the car I have a sd 128 and I think it said I had like 112 or so free space. I looked at the properties and it says it's FAT32.

I tried both usb ports on my tesla and it both works because if I plug in a thumb drive it seems to work fine. I just saw that it is not meant to be rewritten over and over like the sd micro endurance card..

So I guess bottom line is I will be using a thumb drive and use this card for my cell.

thanks again everyone for your help.