Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I put 21" Conti's on my P85+....don't do it...putting dynamats and Reus Sound instead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a P85+ that I had delivered 2 weeks ago. I love the handling and it drives as its on rails. Its arguable one of the best sports sedans out there, but since it has no engine, you become much more sensitized to the harsher ride quality and noiser cabin compared to the P85(although quieter than other ICE sedans)
I really didn't know what to expect, since I ordered the car without having the ability to test drive it first. But the moment I left the lot, the ride quality was harsher and louder than I would like it to be. After driving a P85, I loved the quiet and smooth ride, but after having a +, I love the handling so much, I just can't downgrade the car, but I would at least want to quiet the noise level in the car.
It was recommended that I try 19" rims, but that wouldn't look right in a P85+, and what would the handling advantage be and also why would I pay $6500 more to get worse handling then??
I then tried swapping them with 21" Continentals, but about 5 minutes into the drive, I just didn't like the looser handling of the car...almost seemed like I was driving a P85 and the noise level and ride quality did not change whatsoever. My advice for those P85 guys who want better handling without spending all that extra cash is to swap the tires our with michelins...I think that would improve handling by 30-40% just by itself!!!
As for me, I put my michelins back on, and had to think out of the box.
I have entrusted Reus audio to lay dynamats on the entire car.....I sure hope this will cut out some of the road noise that has been bothering me....
To boot, they are also installing a custom sound system witha 10" sub that is sure to really, really improve the sound quality of the car. Even though I have the upgraded stereo system, I found it a bit lacking for an audiophiles tastebuds. I sure hope this works.....

This was my thoughts as well after driving a P85+ and P85. I ended up going with the P85, knowing I would upgrade the wheels aftermarket. I think a staggered setup of 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear along with good rubber will be a great in between. If handling is still an issue, stabilizer bar upgrades will be next.

FWIW, I picked up a 'full spec' P85 loaner today @ the Fremont service center (not +) #15790 at the Fremont service center, with the 21" turbine wheels and Contis. Compared to my 19" wheels and Goodyears, the ride is harder, harsher, and noisier. I am happy to have traded the performance for ride comfort. YMMV.

I have mentioned in other threads that I did not notice a smoother ride in a P85 with 19 in wheels than in my P85+. I also did not notice a difference in the road noise. Maybe it is due to my advanced age and accompanying hearing deterioration.

Its definitely worth it to get Reus stereo upgrade. they are very knowledgeable and its 5 times better than the stock upgrade package. After spending 130K for car, its one thing that I can't do without. cost me 3.7K. Totally worth it. Now the car seems like it is a step closer to perfection.
As for the dynamat....it really helped the rear noise, but no help from the front....depends on how sensitive your ears are....mine for a dam reason are extremely sensitive...thinking of maybe spray foam in the front wheel area.

joesp85+,

Appreciate the interesting information! I'm part of a Reus group buy being set up in the SF Bay Area and was considering the Dynamat treatment as well. Regarding your rear noise vs. front noise comment, should I interpret this to mean that only the rear seat Model S passengers heard a big improvement? In your subjective judgment how much improvement from the Dynamat did you note from the driver position?

Oliver in Sunnyvale