Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I raced a Huracan and people can't believe the result.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get a 2 second jump on him off of the start so how did I cross the line first if your numbers are guaranteed? Also this isn't a prepped surface or a rack with tons of rubber down on it. This is as close to the real world as you can get and legally have a race. Track and test numbers don't mean much in a real world type scenario.

If you're so certain of that and you're in Arizona, I'm here in Las Vegas bring your model three up here my friend has a huracan, you get to pick the street as long as it's paved, $5,000. Cash. Show us how fast it is

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
Magazine times simply don’t matter when it comes to a given specific race. One of the benefits of the M3P is that it’s very easy to get a good drag time out of it compared to most ICE cars. This is particularly true when it comes to high torque ICE cars that need to be properly launched with properly warmed up tires and a prepped track to achieve their best numbers.

If you’ve been around long enough and participated in enough races, you’ll have observed the truth that magazine numbers don’t win races, drivers do along with whatever specific conditions exist at the time. If all you care about are numbers in a magazine then there’s nothing anyone here will be able to tell you to convince you otherwise.

Some people seem to think that my point is that a Model 3 will always beat a Huracan, but that is not what I'm saying at all. My point is that a Model 3 CAN beat a Huracan.

I didn't Fred Flintstone the car down the airstrip. Had I been in my old 473 wheel horsepower Camaro I wouldn't have been able to get as big of a lead off of the start as I did, had I been in my old Corvette I wouldn't have been able to get as good of a lead off the start, had I been on a bicycle I wouldn't have ever been in the lead. The Model 3 is what won the race combined with my reaction time. The faster car doesn't always win. That's why race championships exist.

The point is the Model 3 Performance, a 4 door family car, is able to be close enough to a car with a ~$200k msrp that if the driver makes a mistake they could lose to the Model 3.

I've had 3 races against 2 different cars that cost over $150,000.00 and all 3 races I crossed the finish line first in my Model 3 Performance. If the car had nothing to do with it I must have really awesome luck.

People always make excuses for this sort of thing. "Bad driver, bad traction blah blah". That's the reality. There is the ideal scenario where a skilled drag racer can hit X time on a track vs pulling up against an average owner on the street or track night. One of the benefits to a Tesla is that they are easy to push to the ideal.

He's saying bring $5,000 so that you can handily lose it against someone who knows how to launch a car and doesn't have grandma's reaction time. ;)

no reason to even validate his statements. he obviously has zero racing experience. But the offer is on the table, my buddy said he'll race no problem, but he's not doing it for free.

Hell, I'll even put up and extra $5k to make $10,000 against this guy's $5,000 for a race against the huracan. This should be an easy win for the model 3, so that's $10k in his pocket.

That's why I said you won the race, but there's no way possible you actually outrun a hurricane. That thing does a quarter mile 2 seconds faster than your car. And the half mile way faster. Because the driver ****ed up doesn't mean your car is faster.

I disagree to an extent. The fact that a Tesla driver can’t really screw up (no trans, no shifting, traction control, AWD mostly) is an advantage the car has. If the Lambo requires a skilled driver to maximize its straight line performance....then maybe that’s a weakness of the car or at least something the people at Lambo should consider. It should not take a skilled driver or a perfect run to maximize performance in a straight line in good weather.

Yeah we all know Tesla has the advantage of instant torque and lack of driver skill needed and can win races on this simple fact alone. I do it all the time with my LR AWD against much more expensive Porsches and Corvettes.

But this particular race wasn't what I call a "drivers race". One person with good reaction time against someone with the worst reaction time and/or wasn't prepared to take off. The engine didn't even start making noise until the 3 was 20 or 30 feet ahead where the kneeling camera guy was.

There's a difference between mashing the pedal in an EV and beating someone who has worse reaction time or didn't have a good launch or didn't shift very well versus doing it against someone who simply didn't even take off until 2 seconds later with no launch or engine rev.

That's why I said you won the race, but there's no way possible you actually outrun a hurricane. That thing does a quarter mile 2 seconds faster than your car. And the half mile way faster. Because the driver ****ed up doesn't mean your car is faster.

Hurricanes can hit 150 mph.
Huracans cannot. Nor are they 2 seconds faster.

Huracan driver slept and I feel this won't be the last one.

really? You're just solidifying the assumption that you have no clue how racing works. Have you ever even been to a race? Or did the model 3 and some youtube videos turn you into an "expert"?

"friend's" "huracan" "expert" :)

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4