Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I raced a Huracan and people can't believe the result.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple months ago I raced a Lamborghini Huracan at a 1/2 mile event. Someone linked the video in an article and people are losing their minds because I won.

I saw a Huracan at the event and was curious how my Model 3 Performance would compare. So I asked the owner if he'd race me and he said he would. He was curious as well his wife has an AWD non performance.

I was below 80% charge but I got a good start and got out ahead of him early. I expected to get out ahead of him off the start but thought he'd come around me by the end of the 1/2 mile. He was gaining on me but I crossed the 1/2 mile a head of him. This was before the last 5% power increase as well.

There have been a few people that have watched the video and are upset about it for various reasons. Many claim the is no way the Model 3 Performance can win a race against a Huracan but it is possible especially with regular people driving.

Looks like you took off as soon as the guys arms were moving past his head based on frame analysis, whereas I couldn't even hear the Huracan take off til well after his arms were down. Any delay off the start gives the Tesla an advantage due to the instant torque. It would have been impressive had you pulled off the same feat and took off at the same time or atleast waited till arms were down. GJ nonetheless.

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
Looks like you took off as soon as the guys arms were moving past his head based on frame analysis, whereas I couldn't even hear the Huracan take off til well after his arms were down. Any delay off the start gives the Tesla an advantage due to the instant torque. It would have been impressive had you pulled off the same feat and took off at the same time or atleast waited till arms were down. GJ nonetheless.

The way the guy was starting the runs was giving a thumbs up to each driver then pointing down the runway with his thumbs for the sign to go. He wasn't raising his arms and dropping them so waiting until arms are down would have been a really bad start.

The way the guy was starting the runs was giving a thumbs up to each driver then pointing down the runway with his thumbs for the sign to go. He wasn't raising his arms and dropping them so waiting until arms are down would have been a really bad start.

I'm not saying you weren't following instructions. I'm just saying that you got the jump on him pretty significantly and therefore gave you an edge to win. It doesn't make the car any less impressive on it's own but should be acknowledged.

You jumped him pretty good. Not saying you didn't win the race, but you sure as hell didn't outrun a huracan in a model 3, before or after the recent software upgrade.

The other thing I'd like to add is that not only was the huracan NOT in launch mode, it sounded like he was completely off the throttle right before take off.

He was given all the time he needed to get ready and was asked if he was ready. If he wasn't ready he shouldn't have motioned that he was. He didn't outrun me either and I crossed the line first. I'm trying to make it out to their next event to run him again and see how it goes with a good start.

He was given all the time he needed to get ready and was asked if he was ready. If he wasn't ready he shouldn't have motioned that he was. He didn't outrun me either and I crossed the line first. I'm trying to make it out to their next event to run him again and see how it goes with a good start.

That's why I said you won the race, but there's no way possible you actually outrun a hurricane. That thing does a quarter mile 2 seconds faster than your car. And the half mile way faster. Because the driver ****ed up doesn't mean your car is faster.

That's why I said you won the race, but there's no way possible you actually outrun a hurricane. That thing does a quarter mile 2 seconds faster than your car. And the half mile way faster. Because the driver ****ed up doesn't mean your car is faster.

I didn't get a 2 second jump on him off of the start so how did I cross the line first if your numbers are guaranteed? Also this isn't a prepped surface or a rack with tons of rubber down on it. This is as close to the real world as you can get and legally have a race. Track and test numbers don't mean much in a real world type scenario.

Reactions: electrictorque
If this was the case a model three could technically outrun a top fuel dragster. we just need the thing to break or the driver take a nap.

The car still needs driven. Doesn't matter how fast it is if you can't drive it. I'd bet if you put an average driver in a drag car they wouldn't even be able to pull it up to the line without tons of instruction let alone get it down the track. Also in this situation even the best racers would have trouble getting the dragster down the air strip.

In the dragsters element yeah it's way faster. But in the model 3s element the model 3 is going to better at what it was truly built for. How long would it take to pick the kids up from school in a dragster?

That's a different convention than what most people have ever seen or heard of. No surprise why people would interpret the video the way they did

Reactions: Sam1
Blah, some people don’t realize that magazine numbers are just that magazine numbers. Greatest thing about EVs is that for the most part they are always consistent, mash the pedal and go. ICE? Depends on the driver, whether the car is feeling it, heat soak(for turbos) etc etc.
Biggest thing we used to check when going to the drag strip in an ICE was Density Altitude... combination of altitude, temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. It all affects air density...denser air plus more fuel = more power.