Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like Hansshow Ultra Mini Screen Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow uploaded two new sets of firmware for Ultra Mini Screen Display to their web site at Mini Tesla Model 3/Y Gauge Cluster Screen|LCD Display|Hansshow. See screenshot below:

View attachment 878630

First (#1) firmware fixed the parking, low/high beam head lights status indicators. Unzip both zip and rar files. Hansshow accidentally included two files of IDENTICAL file names, can_app.bin, but with different dates. The one you want was dated November 16, 2022 (not October 17, 2022). The other necessary file is app.upd. This is very IMPORTANT. After finishing downloading to your device, in the Settings setup screen, set the "CAN" option to 2 (at lower left) which is designed for lights status indicators. Load this firmware into your device first before going to #2 in next paragraph. Please see video tutorial. See post number 46 of this thread for clearer instructions. That post uses exact same firmware as the link from Hansshow. Also see post number 66 of this thread for description and pictures of new lights status indicators.

Second (#2) firmware update is called "Plaid mode" and it's kind of a gimmick but also kind of fun. This update also introduced 12 Hour clock format which is nice for USA. Note that there's only one firmware file, app.upd, for this firmware update. You won't see can_app.bin and it's not needed. See video tutorial.

I've tested both firmware updates and they work well. Let me know if you have questions or trouble updating the firmware to your Ultra Mini Screen Display device.

If you have not yet updated the headlights status indicator bug fix, I suggest to download this firmware update first and then the "Plaid mode" firmware update so that you will have both updates as described above. If you only updated the "Plaid mode" firmware and not the headlights status indicator bug fix, you may not get headlights status indicator bug fix.

I am not affiliated or paid by Hansshow. I will not be responsible for any damage to your device.

Good luck.

Peter
Here's an easier way to upload new firmware updates to your device only once.

#1 Copy can_app.bin file dated November 16, 2022 (not October 17, 2022) from headlights fix firmware update to thumb drive.
#2 Copy app.upd file from Plaid mode firmware update to thumb drive.

Insert thumb drive to Mini Screen Display USB-C connector.
Program the device.

That's it. You only need to program the device only once.

Peter

I found a potential issue with this display (hopefully just mine). I live in Arizona and so I wear sunglasses even in the winter time.

Anyone else see issues with display polarization? Mine is unreadable with polarized sunglasses on.

I own 5 sunglasses and found two are polarized and not very viewable at LCD screens. It's not unusual for polarized sunglasses to cause issues when looking at LCD screens. Same applies to Tesla main screen, it looks terrible with polarized sunglasses. Do a Google search for advantages and disadvantages of polarized sunglasses. One of the disadvantages is polarized sunglasses don't offer good UV protection. I suggest not to wear polarized sunglasses when looking at LCD screens and use sunglasses with good UV protection. I know that's not the answer what you wanted to hear.

Peter

Another suggestion is to find a polarized sunglasses that the polarized coating is oriented or aligned differently than yours (45 to 90 degrees out of alignment). Different polarized sunglasses have different polarized alignment on the glass. I bet if you tilt your head, the screen will appear nicely. If I tilt my phone about 30 to 45 degrees, the screen goes black with my polarized sunglasses. This is not necessarily the fault of Hansshow LCD screen.

Peter

Last edited:
I may not have been clear so I’m sorry. It is 100% an issue with the Hansshow display. I’m trying to find out if it’s a quality control issue (just mine) or a design flaw (everyone).

Good quality polarized lens have a standard they follow for polarization (horizontal) which is why the LCD in all cars are readable when using properly polarized lens. They also make lens that offer Polarization and UV protection (which can be googled).

Attachments

• F6463E69-DF65-4B68-97F7-49E81440AEBD.jpeg
    F6463E69-DF65-4B68-97F7-49E81440AEBD.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 0278DBB5-DE2C-4464-A16E-5198729EF515.jpeg
    0278DBB5-DE2C-4464-A16E-5198729EF515.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DFF2EE5C-E90F-4A38-B502-B5C49CC8F531.jpeg
    DFF2EE5C-E90F-4A38-B502-B5C49CC8F531.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 3941A37A-5927-4C50-B69A-E680D0033BAF.jpeg
    3941A37A-5927-4C50-B69A-E680D0033BAF.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 115
I may not have been clear so I’m sorry. It is 100% an issue with the Hansshow display. I’m trying to find out if it’s a quality control issue (just mine) or a design flaw (everyone).

Good quality polarized lens have a standard they follow for polarization (horizontal) which is why the LCD in all cars are readable when using properly polarized lens. They also make lens that offer Polarization and UV protection (which can be googled).

yeah they did it the wrong way round..... chinese quality control i guess

I see same kind of artifacts as Bare's 4th picture on Tesla's main screen even though it's viewable but drives me crazy. It's showing pinkish-reddish hue like mine.

I prefer wearing non-polarized anti-reflective with UV-IR protection sunglasses and works fine in any orientation.

Peter

MTN Ranger,

Mine is Ts1_V202.3.E3.01 . I got mine about 2 weeks ago. When did you get yours?

I've been trying to communicate with Hansshow asking them if mine already has latest and greatest firmware version and no response. The WhatsApp is crap. But I used the Chat at their web site and they said they are looking into issues I discovered as shown below.

I like the device and works well. My complaint is it's not displaying headlights and parking lights status indicators properly.

1) Normal green headlight indicator does not show up at all when turning on low beam headlights. It shows parking light indicator instead.
2) Pushing turn signal stalk toward the dash does not display high beam indicator.
3) Pulling turn signal stalk does display high beam indicator but stays ON forever until I turn off headlights.
4) Activating Cruise Control or Auto Pilot turns on parking lights indicator which is incorrect.

Are you seeing the above issues?

Ignore CAN options 1 to 10. They are probably placeholders and all 10 are identical for now.

My Tesla software is 2022.40.4.1. My CPU is Intel Atom.

Peter
CAN option "2" will show the lowbeam and highbeam (separately). Had to figure this out by trial and error as there's no instruction manual from Hansshow...🙄

My gripes:

1. The screen seems just a bit brighter than the center screen.
2. Clock only shows in 24h format.
3. The graphic showing follow distance is stupid IMO. Who really needs that.
4. Make the battery info bigger - font is so small.

Having said the above, I absolutely love this thing and would buy it again. My best mod.

Reactions: topboxman
My gripes:

Having said the above, I absolutely love this thing and would buy it again. My best mod.
Please see posts #74 and #83 of this thread for firmware upgrades. Read #74 first (don't upgrade yet) and upgrade from #83. They also mention about setting CAN option to "2" about headlights status indicators. Also, it includes 12 hour clock format setting,

Peter

My gripes:

never understood how companies can slap such ugly graphics on there and call it a day....

Last edited by a moderator:
I own 5 sunglasses and found two are polarized and not very viewable at LCD screens. It's not unusual for polarized sunglasses to cause issues when looking at LCD screens. Same applies to Tesla main screen, it looks terrible with polarized sunglasses. Do a Google search for advantages and disadvantages of polarized sunglasses. One of the disadvantages is polarized sunglasses don't offer good UV protection. I suggest not to wear polarized sunglasses when looking at LCD screens and use sunglasses with good UV protection. I know that's not the answer what you wanted to hear.

Peter

Polarized glasses don’t affect my view of the main screen at all. Glad the other guy mentioned this as a problem because it’s a deal killer for me!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Watched that video... too tedious for me (I'm lazy) and hooking up the data cable under the right passenger dash seemed like a pain.

I'm currently using one of those cheapie HUDs that hook up to the rear OBD in the center console. That was easy to do.

Someone should make the something like this mini display without having to take apart the steering column and dashboard.

Watched that video... too tedious for me (I'm lazy) and hooking up the data cable under the right passenger dash seemed like a pain.

I'm currently using one of those cheapie HUDs that hook up to the rear OBD in the center console. That was easy to do.

Someone should make the something like this mini display without having to take apart the steering column and dashboard.
It took me 10 seconds to disconnect the connector under the glove box. It's very simple. Just use two small or medium flat blade screwdrivers, one to press and hold the locking tab and the other to slide the connector to disconnect. The whole installation may look intimidating but was easy. It took less than 30 minutes.

Peter

Reactions: BigNerd
Been running one of these for the past couple of weeks, really like the unit compared to the larger screens.

52517704043_1e4a39c377_b.jpg

Just got a dozen of them in stock for those in the SoCal area looking to get one installed on the spot. Or drop by and see it in action in person.

52544976636_37b9c3df47_b.jpg

Last edited:
the only annoying thing is no android auto on those....
And no way to shrink the AP view on the mainscreen which makes this a bit useless.
Don't think fully cloning the main screen was the intention, but as an auxiliary screen instead.

I like the basic features, especially finally having speed, turn signals and an odometer in plain view.