Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like Hansshow Ultra Mini Screen Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed mine yesterday on my 2020 Model Y (Intel). What a PITA to get that ECU connector attached! I ended up having to remove the other lower connector first to be able to insert the one from this unit.

I'm seeing two issues:
1) Temp is stuck at 32F.
2) Time won't get out of 24hr mode.

Any thoughts on these two issues?

Also, I'm having troubles securing the thing to the wheel (snapping it into place). One clip just won't go in. I didn't think I was THAT weak, but I guess I am. Was thinking I'd try an oil filter wrench with the ratcheting feature, but it's not big enough. Any other suggestions?

Lastly, one of the leather shroud clips doesn't want to stay in place. Can it be bent into position on the bottom side without breaking it? Or, how do you make it more secure?

Oh, and one observation: Although it blends in beautifully, the dash behind it is slightly curved and this unit is straight, making it seem like it is crooked. Just an illusion, but a bit "imperfect". LOL
Can you take a picture of the settings so I can see the version number of the firmware installed? This is mine:

Hansshow_Mini_Display_Setting.JPG

Try set CAN option to "2". If that doesn't help, I can show you how to install appropriate firmware.

For securing the clips at steering wheel column, you really have to compress both halves with both hands pretty hard.

Which leather shroud clips are you referring?

I'm sorry about the difficulty of removing the ECU connector. I was able to do that in about 15 seconds. The trick is using two small to medium size flat blade screw drivers, one is to press and hold the locking tab of the connector and other screw driver to slide out the connector. Once the original connector is disconnected, the rest should be easy.

Thanks,
Peter

Can you take a picture of the settings so I can see the version number of the firmware installed? This is mine:

View attachment 893658

Try set CAN option to "2". If that doesn't help, I can show you how to install appropriate firmware.

For securing the clips at steering wheel column, you really have to compress both halves with both hands pretty hard.

Which leather shroud clips are you referring?

I'm sorry about the difficulty of removing the ECU connector. I was able to do that in about 15 seconds. The trick is using two small to medium size flat blade screw drivers, one is to press and hold the locking tab of the connector and other screw driver to slide out the connector. Once the original connector is disconnected, the rest should be easy.

Thanks,
Peter
Thanks, Can 2 fixed the temp issue. How about the time?
Removing the connector was easy. Putting the new one in was the challenge. Had tons of wrapped wires blocking easy access.

The shroud I'm talking about is the leather/pleather piece the unit connects to. It has four clips and one of mine is not securing tightly.

Attachments

• 20230108_143430.jpg
    20230108_143430.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 86
It looks like your firmware version is a little bit behind.

See posts #74, #83 and #93 of this thread. If you feel intimidated, let me know the details of what you're not understanding. Please re-read the three posts repeatedly until you really understand it.

Peter

Yes, although in this case it does seem to be following a logical Year/Month/Day sequence. I wonder if it being "V2" is significant vs V1.

I have a 2nd page of the menu now with the PLAID animation able to be toggled on/off.

This is one of the few displays that actually interest me. A few questions remain.

• I live in a very hot climate. How much does it block the airflow from the vents?
  • How long does it actually take to install?

This is one of the few displays that actually interest me. A few questions remain.

• I live in a very hot climate. How much does it block the airflow from the vents?
  • How long does it actually take to install?
It's small enough not to block airflow from vents.

Depending on skill level, 30 to 60 minutes. If I had to do it all over again, probably 15 minutes.

If you're car has AMD Ryzen CPU, it's much easier to install. This CPU is in late model, either 2021 or 2022 or later, not sure which year.

Peter

Reactions: DayTrippin
Last edited:
It's the best dashboard for yoke steering wheel, lots of people offer them

Would love it if this was hackable into a general purpose display that you could specify what you want displayed. Look up the item on the CanBus and you can add it to the display, I need to know the battery temps, or I would love the energy display from Teslogic

image.png

The CanBus is your Oyster

Last edited:
Installed mine yesterday on my 2020 Model Y (Intel). What a PITA to get that ECU connector attached! I ended up having to remove the other lower connector first to be able to insert the one from this unit.

I'm seeing two issues:
1) Temp is stuck at 32F.
2) Time won't get out of 24hr mode.

Any thoughts on these two issues?

Also, I'm having troubles securing the thing to the wheel (snapping it into place). One clip just won't go in. I didn't think I was THAT weak, but I guess I am. Was thinking I'd try an oil filter wrench with the ratcheting feature, but it's not big enough. Any other suggestions?

Lastly, one of the leather shroud clips doesn't want to stay in place. Can it be bent into position on the bottom side without breaking it? Or, how do you make it more secure?

Oh, and one observation: Although it blends in beautifully, the dash behind it is slightly curved and this unit is straight, making it seem like it is crooked. Just an illusion, but a bit "imperfect". LOL
don't know if you have solved your issues -- for me my the unit would not keep the 12 hr clock and a co-worker of mine had the same problem -- I installed firmware from Hansshow posted on their site -- it did not fix the problem. I got firmware version 2.0 from Tesery (I bought one unit from Tesery and one from Hansshow for my co-worker) and it worked -- units are back to working great. Regarding issues in installation -- be careful of those snaps -- the front ones by the steering wheel are real flimsy.. start with fitting the leather part, then the back snap and finally the front ones -- caution -- I broke one but I am a dentist so I have all the tools and plastic resins to repair the clip but if broken most people would have a problem -- the clips in in the back -- screws with nut and screw could be used to hold leather piece in place. I have an AMD Ryzen but I can feel your pain with the Intel installation as you have to go completely under dash to connect that version.

This is a newer firmware -- I used this version and it solved my issue -- the others begin with APP:Tsl_V1.xxx. What is posted online at Hansshow is version 1 and does not fix the issue -- Tesery sent me version 2 and all is right now.
The firmware posted at Hansshow web site works for me. You need to set CAN option to 2. The Plaid animation firmware contains 12 hour clock format fix.

You need to install headlights status indicators firmware first and then the Plaid animation firmware and then set CAN option to 2.

See post# 83 of this thread to upload firmware only once.

Peter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy
don't know if you have solved your issues -- for me my the unit would not keep the 12 hr clock and a co-worker of mine had the same problem -- I installed firmware from Hansshow posted on their site -- it did not fix the problem. I got firmware version 2.0 from Tesery (I bought one unit from Tesery and one from Hansshow for my co-worker) and it worked -- units are back to working great. Regarding issues in installation -- be careful of those snaps -- the front ones by the steering wheel are real flimsy.. start with fitting the leather part, then the back snap and finally the front ones -- caution -- I broke one but I am a dentist so I have all the tools and plastic resins to repair the clip but if broken most people would have a problem -- the clips in in the back -- screws with nut and screw could be used to hold leather piece in place. I have an AMD Ryzen but I can feel your pain with the Intel installation as you have to go completely under dash to connect that version.
Thanks. My clips at the front are not broken, but the one on the right just won't snap in securely. Even if I start on that side, it pops out. Seems like the female side that it goes into may have a broken piece. Thinking about replacing that whole bottom piece...

Saw this today on AE, looks like a new steering wheel mounted variant is coming, 8.1” but the thin pedestal could be a game changer for ventilation. I’ll follow and post any info if I see it. Could be promising. UI looks good, and it looks like it shows proximity sensor data in one of the pics, that would be a first for these displays. Says it’s for 2021-2023, could be AMD Ryzen compatible only?

US $193.85 61% Off | Car Steering Wheel LCD Instrument Cluster Head up Display For Tesla 2021-2023 Model 3 Model Y Large Meter Decoration Accessories

Attachments

• CC19A7F9-8186-4133-8786-997015711488.jpeg
    CC19A7F9-8186-4133-8786-997015711488.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 56