Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like Hansshow Ultra Mini Screen Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this today on AE, looks like a new steering wheel mounted variant is coming, 8.1” but the thin pedestal could be a game changer for ventilation. I’ll follow and post any info if I see it. Could be promising. UI looks good, and it looks like it shows proximity sensor data in one of the pics, that would be a first for these displays. Says it’s for 2021-2023, could be AMD Ryzen compatible only?

US $193.85 61% Off | Car Steering Wheel LCD Instrument Cluster Head up Display For Tesla 2021-2023 Model 3 Model Y Large Meter Decoration Accessories
Looks cool. I've never order anything from Aliexpress and I'm skeptical of them. I know others like them.

Peter

That's what's GREAT about AliExpress, you can order from vendors that are trying to scam you, but the AliExpress store front means that if you don't like or didn't get what you ordered there is a neutral 3rd party that holds your money until the transaction finishes.

The two times I was scammed I was w/o my money for a few months, but then I got it back in the end. Almost no harm, and all those other times I actually got what I wanted. See it on Ebay or Amazon? Want to pay less for it? Check out AliExpress

I’ve ordered a few items, with mixed success. Always use PayPal or a credit card.

Typically new items show up on AliExpress and then the usual retailers will start stocking and selling. This was the case with the new 7” rear entertainment display that’s popular, I saw it on AliExpress almost 2 months before anyone else started selling it (friendly tip - avoid that display like the plague for now, it looks really nice, but it’s loaded with issues!!!)

Curious to see how this new steering wheel display pans out…if it ends up with CarPlay too it could be a nice solution!

Saw this today on AE, looks like a new steering wheel mounted variant is coming, 8.1” but the thin pedestal could be a game changer for ventilation. I’ll follow and post any info if I see it. Could be promising. UI looks good, and it looks like it shows proximity sensor data in one of the pics, that would be a first for these displays. Says it’s for 2021-2023, could be AMD Ryzen compatible only?

US $193.85 61% Off | Car Steering Wheel LCD Instrument Cluster Head up Display For Tesla 2021-2023 Model 3 Model Y Large Meter Decoration Accessories
Something that I like is the person who reviewed it actually shows the airflow at about 8:40 into the video and has some good commentary about the airflow.

Reactions: PauliePucks
Can anyone clear up the deal here?

Is Hansshow the 'original' producer of this, and the half price ones on Aliexpress some cheap knock-off, maybe lower quality, maybe no aftersales support? What do you do for firmware updates with one from Aliexpress - get from Hansshow website anyway, or you're stuck with whatever you bought?

Or is Hansshow just a reseller selling the same generic stuff out of a factory in China for a premium price which they justify/get away with by providing a polished accessible website, aftersales support, etc? I did notice in the youtube video linked in the OP it came in a Hansshow branded box. But maybe they just have fancy boxes made?

If it's all the same stuff I'm tempted to avoid the Hansshow markup. If it's true Hansshow just 'add value' and resell generic stuff, is the same true for their other products? Can I pay half price on Aliexpress for their power frunk kit, soft close doors...?

Cheers.

Reactions: HeyEph
Hey Liam -

So…the long and short of it is this - most of the products hansshow sells are the same as the items that are found on AliExpress. Other resellers (PimpMyEV, Satonic, EVBase, etc.) do the same thing, same products, all different prices.

In the same vein, each company does occasionally come out with their own unique items and then they are copied and sold by other sellers, including AliExpress. So there’s really no way of knowing if the chicken or the egg came first here.

There are pros and cons to this - when you buy from a reseller, like Hansshow, you’re getting a better return policy, faster shipping (Hansshow has some stock in US) and it’s less of a risk.

I’ll give you a personal example - when the 7” rear entertainment display first hit the resellers, it was listed at one seller for $899!!! I went to AliExpress and found it for $313 shipped. I jumped on it. That was December 9. It’s now January 20 and my item never arrived and I am in the middle of a dispute with PayPal and AliExpress (they are terrible to work with FYI) I’m kind of glad because the display is pretty bad and loaded with bugs, but the message here is that is an absolute inherent risk with AliExpress.

Lastly, if it’s a product like these heads up steering wheel displays, they sometimes require firmware and software updates to work correctly. If Tesla changes the way the CANBUS sends information in a vehicle update, it could cause the display to fault. So having access to updates is crucial. I believe the subject display in this thread had an issue with headlights indicators displaying incorrectly. If you buy on AliExpress chances are the seller sells all kinds of auto enhancements and will have no idea about how to get the software updates and you’ll be SOL, resellers won’t help you unless you bought from them, Hansshow CS will not even speak to you without an order number from them.

So TL;DR - yes most of the products are the same. I recommend watching YouTube reviews of the products, you’ll see different vendors, same products, prices all over the place and different coupons to bring the price down. If it’s a product that expects software updates, stick with a reseller as they’ll have a direct access to the updates and often write their own software.

Reactions: LiamPope
Hey Liam -

So…the long and short of it is this - most of the products hansshow sells are the same as the items that are found on AliExpress. Other resellers (PimpMyEV, Satonic, EVBase, etc.) do the same thing, same products, all different prices.

In the same vein, each company does occasionally come out with their own unique items and then they are copied and sold by other sellers, including AliExpress. So there’s really no way of knowing if the chicken or the egg came first here.

There are pros and cons to this - when you buy from a reseller, like Hansshow, you’re getting a better return policy, faster shipping (Hansshow has some stock in US) and it’s less of a risk.

I’ll give you a personal example - when the 7” rear entertainment display first hit the resellers, it was listed at one seller for $899!!! I went to AliExpress and found it for $313 shipped. I jumped on it. That was December 9. It’s now January 20 and my item never arrived and I am in the middle of a dispute with PayPal and AliExpress (they are terrible to work with FYI) I’m kind of glad because the display is pretty bad and loaded with bugs, but the message here is that is an absolute inherent risk with AliExpress.

Lastly, if it’s a product like these heads up steering wheel displays, they sometimes require firmware and software updates to work correctly. If Tesla changes the way the CANBUS sends information in a vehicle update, it could cause the display to fault. So having access to updates is crucial. I believe the subject display in this thread had an issue with headlights indicators displaying incorrectly. If you buy on AliExpress chances are the seller sells all kinds of auto enhancements and will have no idea about how to get the software updates and you’ll be SOL, resellers won’t help you unless you bought from them, Hansshow CS will not even speak to you without an order number from them.

So TL;DR - yes most of the products are the same. I recommend watching YouTube reviews of the products, you’ll see different vendors, same products, prices all over the place and different coupons to bring the price down. If it’s a product that expects software updates, stick with a reseller as they’ll have a direct access to the updates and often write their own software.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such an informative response. Much appreciated!

Yeah I thought it would be something like this - so you never really know who really develops this stuff, and up to you if you source for the cheapest price or if you think the benefits of buying through a more established reputable reseller are worth the markup. And I guess you're right a decent reseller is likely to have direct access to the producer for support and even driving development of the product. From the online reviews looks like Hansshow is quick getting support/fixes for this product.

Reactions: PauliePucks
Thanks very much for taking the time to write such an informative response. Much appreciated!

Yeah I thought it would be something like this - so you never really know who really develops this stuff, and up to you if you source for the cheapest price or if you think the benefits of buying through a more established reputable reseller are worth the markup. And I guess you're right a decent reseller is likely to have direct access to the producer for support and even driving development of the product. From the online reviews looks like Hansshow is quick getting support/fixes for this product.
They have been better as of late, and are finally posting some of the update files on their website. For a long time they didn’t do that and you were at the mercy of trying to reach them on WhatsApp at 2am (business hours in mainland China) trying to get a solution. Not ideal.

If you are looking into power frunk and/or power trunk I would HIGHLY recommend an established seller and not AliExpress. Both of those units have dedicated ECUs that do occasionally need updating as Tesla makes changes to their files. There are a few variants of these items and if you get an older version on AliExpress unbeknownst to you, you risk having a frunk that won’t open because the latch motor failed or a bad strut. If you buy on AliExpress you will have zero recourse and zero help with that.

Reactions: LiamPope
don't know if you have solved your issues -- for me my the unit would not keep the 12 hr clock and a co-worker of mine had the same problem -- I installed firmware from Hansshow posted on their site -- it did not fix the problem. I got firmware version 2.0 from Tesery (I bought one unit from Tesery and one from Hansshow for my co-worker) and it worked -- units are back to working great. Regarding issues in installation -- be careful of those snaps -- the front ones by the steering wheel are real flimsy.. start with fitting the leather part, then the back snap and finally the front ones -- caution -- I broke one but I am a dentist so I have all the tools and plastic resins to repair the clip but if broken most people would have a problem -- the clips in in the back -- screws with nut and screw could be used to hold leather piece in place. I have an AMD Ryzen but I can feel your pain with the Intel installation as you have to go completely under dash to connect that version.
@Shorey1, can you please post the firmware here? I'd like to try it.

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyEph
What's the best price people have paid? I see one on AliExpress for $112 w/ free shipping:

EDIT: Oops, only $106 w/ free shipping:

EDIT: No wait, even cheaper, $100 w/ free shipping:

Did anyone try this on a 2017 or 2018 model year car?
OK, and the $100 unit arrived already. That was SUPER fast. Almost like ordering from Amazon, the ETA is still Feb. 2 even though I got it yesterday...

Last edited:
Hoping they push a firmeware update to allow us to adjust the brightnes, it is way brighter than the OEM screen at night. Not the best pic but def shows my concern
9AEB800E-E447-4766-9DF5-DA63FE7D7FEB.jpeg

Or it could use the same info the car has to determine local Sunrise and Sunset to switch between daytime and nighttime operation. Ambient would be more useful for setting the brightness of the screen. I have to imagine that is ALSO available from the car computer that this screen is plugged into.

Reactions: zoomer0056