Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really like this Heatshield sun shade. 100% block and nice and cool!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I bought two sun shades recently for my new MY. One is the foldable mesh type that most people seem to be using, and the other is more like a windshield visor but for the roof. It is made by a company called Heatshield and blocks 100% of the light. Unlike the mesh products, it is also reflective and insulating so it blocks most of the heat as well. It attaches with suction cups.

Here is the product:

And here is a video showing how it looks and works.

I initially thought I would only use this in extreme cases where the sun was especially hot, but I have to admit I am so impressed I may just use this all summer! The version for the Model Y roof comes in two pieces, a front half and a rear half. The pair was 45 dollars. Each section has 6 suction cups. It is aluminum on top and white underneath and very light weight. It rolls up and is easy to pop onto the roof anytime.

I was in the car today under full sun and really feeling that layer of heat just lingering overhead beneath the glass as usual. I unrolled just the front section and stuck it on the roof. Wow! Instant relief! I may not even use the back half as blocking the section over my head is really all that I need at this point. With just the front half installed you still have a huge sunroof, just not directly over you head. In some ways I like this better than covering the whole roof with the mesh option. They are both good in different ways.

Someone in another thread mentioned this product and shared the link. I'd like to say thanks but I forget where it was.

I second this product - thought about ordering the mesh but found this instead and felt that it would offer better protection. My car stays cooler when parked outdoors and I run the AC at a higher temp than before. Great company with a quality product. I'm in California and the summers can sometimes be hot. Comes in 2 pieces with suction cups. Very easy to put on.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I had one of their windshield shades for my Civic and another one for the van. They're very good, excellent quality and so much better than just about everything else on the market. I actually talked to the owner once and he was quite approachable. FWIW, they have a sale from time to time, like Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day IIRC

The shape is specific to the vehicle (which was important on a civic, and obviously on the Y too), so there are no awkward gaps around the edge. The only difficulty with the Civic was that I was sometimes too lazy to install it, which obviously was my problem, and it became a little awkward once I installed a dashcam ... not an issue with the Y

I have used its front windshield product for years (originally when I was living in Hawaii). Recently I bough the top cover as we park the car outside in full sun during the summer. When I received the part it had two trapezoid pieces that each cover 70% of the top glass and only have corner suction cups which makes them sag like crazy in the middle.

I tried for about 10min to figure out how to install them and I couldn't figure it out. Each could fit longitudinally with about six extra inches to covering the entire glass and too long to fit horizontally. I've emailed the company and they've been somewhat helpful, if delayed in its, response claiming this is a busy time of year.

At this point I'm fairly convinced I got the wrong item(s) but we shall see. I'll post photos when I get it all sorted out.

Ugly? While driving, I don't even notice them, as they're behind my line of vision. Suction cups haven't failed, 3 across, do a good job of preventing any sag.
That's true, only a backseat passenger would notice them. I actually don't mind the appearance at all personally.

I was wondering how well the suction cups would hold up over time. How long have you been using yours? How many on/offs?

I find that the cups disconnect really easily if I put my fingernail under them against the glass. I was worried that just pulling the shade might rip them. It's a little hassle, but so much easier than taking one of those mesh sunscreens in/out.

That's true, only a backseat passenger would notice them. I actually don't mind the appearance at all personally.

I was wondering how well the suction cups would hold up over time. How long have you been using yours? How many on/offs?

I find that the cups disconnect really easily if I put my fingernail under them against the glass. I was worried that just pulling the shade might rip them. It's a little hassle, but so much easier than taking one of those mesh sunscreens in/out.
I had them installed for over a week, in TX heat, and there was never an issue with any suction cup failing. I would occasionally press on the cups to make certain they hadn't lost any suction. When I removed the shade, I actually had to work at it harder than I anticipated.

What car did you order for? The Model y has two rectangular pieces for the roof. The window kits have trapezoidal pieces.
I ordered it for my MY these are HUGE trapezoidal pieces. One would cover 70-80% of the entire MY roof. They've asked me for the item number written on them and now want pictures of them. I think they are planning to replace them but trying to figure out what happened. I *think* it's clear to all at this point that it's a one-off issue.
Anyone have a promotional code?
If you get on its mailing list they have a sale occasionally and offer $5 off which is ~10% off for the roof refelector. I've never seen anything better than that.

Last edited:
I had them installed for over a week, in TX heat, and there was never an issue with any suction cup failing. I would occasionally press on the cups to make certain they hadn't lost any suction. When I removed the shade, I actually had to work at it harder than I anticipated.
So I received the roof shade and found no instructions, suction cups or anything else included. Do I need to order these separately or was a mistake made? I sent the company an email but it is the weekend and I have not heard from them yet.