Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really MUST get a portable charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or estimate range better.
IMG_3705.JPG

Oh well, at least you're honest about it. :wink:
I have ordered a modified Clipper Creek ECS 20 with a Mennekes Type 2 connector and AS\NZS 3112 15 Amp plug.
This is currently on its way to me from the USA and I will post pictures when it arrives, which will probably be next week.
The biggest drawback is, its quite expensive at US$862.35 including shipping. My credit card charge was AUD$1136.35.
I have ordered it with a 15 Amp plug as most of the Chargepoint charge posts I have come across in Sydney are equipped with a 15 Amp plug.
To connect to a 10 Amp supply I will be buying an Ampfibian when the mobile connector arrives but haven't decided whether I will go for the RV02 or the Mini.
this will depend on the physical size of the plug on the mobile connector.

Last edited:
I have to say that Tesla are VERY BLOODY SLACK with their apparent lack of concern re mobile ie 10 Amp ( or any) portable charging adapter. Or any other adapter for that matter. Given the high price of the car I reckon all early adopters are being treated with unreasonable contempt.
I suppose it forces us to be very careful re trip planning.
However it also MUST be a significant negative for general acceptance of the concept of EV cars. I know most of the people I talk to about the car are somewhat dismayed that I am so restricted in where I can go.
Needless to say Elon's claim that range anxiety is a thing of the past doesn't sit well with me- just spin - something the Americans are masters of.
Despite this rant I am still delighted by the car.

I have to say that Tesla are VERY BLOODY SLACK with their apparent lack of concern re mobile ie 10 Amp ( or any) portable charging adapter. Or any other adapter for that matter. Given the high price of the car I reckon all early adopters are being treated with unreasonable contempt.
However it also MUST be a significant negative for general acceptance of the concept of EV cars. I know most of the people I talk to about the car are somewhat dismayed that I am so restricted in where I can go.
Needless to say Elon's claim that range anxiety is a thing of the past doesn't sit well with me- just spin - something the Americans are masters of.

Dear Jimat,

Just buy yourself a wall charger and connect a 240v plug to it. You can set the dip switches inside to limit it to 10amps only. You will have an instant portable charger. Another on this forum has done it already and he said it works like a charm.

Cheers

Dear Jimat,

Just buy yourself a wall charger and connect a 240v plug to it. You can set the dip switches inside to limit it to 10amps only. You will have an instant portable charger. Another on this forum has done it already and he said it works like a charm.

Cheers

i have putting off doing that because the unit is physically much bigger than it needs to be. But I might have to go that way for peace of mind while we wait for a more elegant solution from Tesla.

Horray!
Sorry for being so relieved. I have been disturbed I would be the first poor bastard to be loaded onto a truck for running out of range. Ive pushed the limits on 400kms+ trip several times now but am very pleased the projections have been spot on. You can just about double your stated typical range if you drop to 70kph from 100kph. Around 105W/Km. (with no aircon).
Its gutsy to have admitted the event and to photograph as well.... awesome.!

The other thing to learn from this story is that this fellow had the common sense to know he wasn't going to make it home. It is much easier to load up a Model S on a flat bed when the main battery still has usable energy in it. When you run it all the way down until the car won't move any more and THEN wait for a tow, there is a chance that the car will completely shut down due to a low 12V battery and the electric parking brake becomes a problem. The only elegant solution then is to "jump" the car from the terminals behind the nose cone. How do I pop the nose cone again....?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, at least you're honest about it. :wink:
I have ordered a modified Clipper Creek ECS 20 with a Mennekes Type 2 connector and AS\NZS 3112 15 Amp plug.
This is currently on its way to me from the USA and I will post pictures when it arrives, which will probably be next week.
The biggest drawback is, its quite expensive at US$862.35 including shipping. My credit card charge was AUD$1136.35.
I have ordered it with a 15 Amp plug as most of the Chargepoint charge posts I have come across in Sydney are equipped with a 15 Amp plug.
To connect to a 10 Amp supply I will be buying an Ampfibian when the mobile connector arrives but haven't decided whether I will go for the RV02 or the Mini.
this will depend on the physical size of the plug on the mobile connector.
I'm curious why you decided to go with Clipper Creek. I think they make great stuff, but Type-2 is not normal for them. I would have thought that buying a European Type-2 Mobile EVSE and changing the plug locally would have been significantly cheaper. Something like this one, then using an adapter or just cutting off the Schuko plug. This unit also has the benefit of an adjustable pilot signal, so you won't trip the OCD when you're plugged into a 10A socket.

Anyway, according to another poster in the Mobile Charging for Australia thread, using any plug-in equipment that is not approved in Australia is illegal, so there is that too.

Last edited:
Some interesting numbers on range from yesterday.

Total traveled from full charge to six km left was 375 km. This included powering up the Toowoomba range and a few launches.

Currently the predictor in the energy app is telling me I've got 740 km available. This is from lots of 70 kph cruising at the end of the day.

Ray

Is the predictor the old energy graph? I really cannot see a difference in the energy screens from 6.1 to 6.2. Same question with the trip graph. I tested it admittedly over a very short distance, like 20 or km, and the predictions were way off!!!! Like 3% off. that is a lot, extrapolated over long distances. It was more accurate on 6.1. Am i missing something?

I'm curious why you decided to go with Clipper Creek. I think they make great stuff, but Type-2 is not normal for them. I would have thought that buying a European Type-2 Mobile EVSE and changing the plug locally would have been significantly cheaper. Something like this one, then using an adapter or just cutting off the Schuko plug. This unit also has the benefit of an adjustable pilot signal, so you won't trip the OCD when you're plugged into a 10A socket.

Anyway, according to another poster in the Mobile Charging for Australia thread, using any plug-in equipment that is not approved in Australia is illegal, so there is that too.

I looked at a number of European connectors and many, like this one, include a " Shuko moulded plug including temperature sensor". I was worried that cutting off the Shuko plug may render it inoperable if the temp sensor communicates with the device, no one could tell me if it would still work if replaced with an Australian plug without a temperature sensor.
In any case I understand that cutting off the plug voids any Australian approval so there is not much difference.
The Clipper Creek device was the only one I could order that was manufactured specifically for its intended use that would not require me to modify it in any way.
I will pair it with an australian made Ampfibian 15 Amp to 10 Amp converter that includes a built in 10 Amp over current protector.

I don't think it's fair to say Tesla are slack or contemptuous in any way. They have concerns about long charges on low amp household plugs and want to discourage their use.

There is no spin about what Elon says in this regard either, the car will warn you if it's driving out of the range of a known charge point. If you heed it, you won't have a problem.

The real issue here is how backward the governments' attitudes are to EV and green in general and the utterly dismal infrastructure for EV's in Australia.

I don't think it's fair to say Tesla are slack or contemptuous in any way. They have concerns about long charges on low amp household plugs and want to discourage their use.

There is no spin about what Elon says in this regard either, the car will warn you if it's driving out of the range of a known charge point. If you heed it, you won't have a problem.

The real issue here is how backward the governments' attitudes are to EV and green in general and the utterly dismal infrastructure for EV's in Australia.
Chicken and egg issue, I suspect.

We have been told quite often by Tesla Aust employees that a 10Amp cable will be available "soon" - initially it was supposed to be Q1 this year. I have not heard before that they are trying to discourage such an item.

The new navigation software tweaks will eventually be useful is Australia but at the moment the only superchargers are in Sydney.
And so all current owners have to rely on their wall chargers or non approved adaptions or imported portable chargers.

And you are quite correct re government attitudes which are simply Luddite and quite frankly an embarrassment.

The 3 phase connector was also supposed to be Q1. That is now mid year, so realistically Q4 Tesla time. After 4 1/4 years, I am used to Tesla time. I am just stunned we got 4.2 so fast!!
I am lucky, I don't really care. I don't do long trips often, and I live around the corner from the supercharger. I simply use my wall connector as a top up. Major charging is at the supercharger. Comfortable air conditioned lounge with wifi. Also, the free time required.
Coffee is not bad, either!!

I looked at a number of European connectors and many, like this one, include a " Shuko moulded plug including temperature sensor". I was worried that cutting off the Shuko plug may render it inoperable if the temp sensor communicates with the device, no one could tell me if it would still work if replaced with an Australian plug without a temperature sensor.
In any case I understand that cutting off the plug voids any Australian approval so there is not much difference.
The Clipper Creek device was the only one I could order that was manufactured specifically for its intended use that would not require me to modify it in any way.
I will pair it with an australian made Ampfibian 15 Amp to 10 Amp converter that includes a built in 10 Amp over current protector.
I can appreciate your conservative approach and willingness to pay extra for something that will work out of the box. When you use the Ampfibian, you may run into a situation where the car trips the CB before you can get the current turned down on the center screen. This happens because the Clipper Creek units do not have an adjustable pilot signal. In a new location, the car will assume it can use the full current indicated by the pilot signal, which I assume Clipper Creek has set to 15A, or is it 12A? In any case, you will have to quickly turn down the current to avoid tripping.

Some interesting numbers on range from yesterday.

Total traveled from full charge to six km left was 375 km. This included powering up the Toowoomba range and a few launches.

Currently the predictor in the energy app is telling me I've got 740 km available. This is from lots of 70 kph cruising at the end of the day.

Ray

I've just examined the trip data for the trip and it says that my 375 km (mentioned above) used 72.2 kWh. I wonder what happened to the other 12 kWh.

On the Tesla lack of low voltage adaptor; I think it is slack as we have just no way of charging west of here except for that.

I will be importing a European one and contrary to statements made by others on this forum, I do not need approval unless I am going to sell them.

Ray