Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I regret my Model Y purchase because of seat comfort and seating position problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem and have tried several seat cushions even some I modified some cushions to fit my seat. So far the best solution has been to adjust the front of the seat higher and adjust the lumbar. It helps but is not perfect. If I could just swap out the seat from my 2020 Outback.... best seat I have ever had. Good luck!

Reactions: ehfz
After having my model y for 5 months, I have to say that I unfortunately regret my purchase, because it's just not a good fit for me. And I mean that literally. For my body, the seat is not comfortable, and I can't achieve a comfortable driving position.

As I know others have discussed in other posts, for some people, me included, the seat bolsters are simply too narrow towards the rear, and it feels like I'm partially sitting on the bolsters themselves, which gives an uncomfortable feeling similar to as if I were sitting on a wallet in a back pocket. This leads to general discomfort and even a dull ache after time.

While it's less of a concern, I also find the back bolsters to be too narrow as well. These are less uncomfortable than the seat, but it adds to the feeling that the seat simply does not fit my body.

For those wondering, I'm 6'2" and 180lbs, and a lot of my height comes from a very long torso, and less so from leg length.

Which leads to the next problem. With relatively short legs, I sit relatively close to the dash. But with a long torso, my head ends up being very high up in the car. Even with the seat adjusted all the way down, I'm way too high up in the car. I have to duck down to see traffic lights. And if I keep a straight back and lean forwards, my forehead hits the headliner. I'm not entirely convinced that the airbag would actually protect my head in the event of a crash.

Now I get it, I have an atypical body shape, and I would have these issues in many other cars as well. The thing that irks me is that I've been driving a 2011 VW GTI for the past decade, and I've had no issues with seating position what-so-ever, and that's a significantly smaller car than the model y. The GTI allows me to lower the seat way lower than the model y. The model y seats are just sitting on a platform, which eats into what could have been space in which to lower the seat even further. If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position.

I really like almost everything else about this vehicle, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't fit me! And of course you might be saying "boo hoo why didn't you test drive it first?". Well, yeah, that's on me, I should have. I test drove a Model 3 when it first came out and don't remember having either of these issues. When the Model Y price dropped, I jumped on it and ordered one off the lot within an hour of the announcement without a test drive as I was afraid they'd sell out quickly, thinking that the larger model Y would surely not have issues like this with it being a larger vehicle. But lesson learned; I always need to test drive vehicles going forward, and I learned that vehicle size is not always correlated to headroom, seat adjustment range, seat comfort, etc.

What am I going to do with the Model Y? I don't know yet, probably keep it and just suck it up. There isn't really any other EV that qualifies for the tax credit that I would actually want to own at this time. The price/powertrain/charging-network/value advantage of the Model Y is undeniable, so I'll probably just keep it and keep an eye out as the EV landscape evolves over the coming years.

How about trade it in for a Model 3? Go test drive the Model 3 again. Or rent one from Turo for a day for extended test drive.

I'm 6ft 220lbs, with long torso. The Model 3 and Y seats were very comfortable for me, so no issues like you experienced. But, I did find the seats in the Model 3 and Y, more so in the Y, didn't go as low as I typically like to have my seat setup as. I gave it more recline so my elbows could rest on the car door arm rest and the center arm rest comfortably, and extended the steering wheel towards me and lowered it a bit, and the driving position was fine and dandy. No hitting the sun shades, not even close.

Hope you find a good solution to your problem!

I am 6'4" and find the Y to be very comfortable.
I am surprised that with 6'2" you say that you sit relatively close to the dash. Are your lags that short that you can't reach pedals or (this is what I assume) you just got used to the seating position from the past experience to keep a short distance from the body to the steeting wheel.

I notice sometimes drivers who sit veeeery close to the steering wheel, like within 1 foot between body and a steering wheel. And this is an incorrect seating position. Maybe it's something that you need to adjust?
With my 6'4", the steering wheel column setting extended to a max position, and the back of the seat tilted backward, aligned with a middle pillar. In this seating position, if I extend the arm and put it on the top of the steering wheel, it will be around my wrist area (or slightly closer to a palm). This is a considered correct distance from the body to the steering wheel.

By the way, you can additionally adjust the how high is your head by tilting the seat back. So ll kind of transition to a more "cinema couch" position rather than sitting straight (which is more relaxing by the way). So with shorter legs, you can pull the seat close enough so you can reach pedals, extend the steering column length to maximum, and then tilt the back of the seat backwards. And to balance this, you can tilt the seat itself backwards as well. So you ll seat almost like Formula 1 driver :D (just kidding)

Even in the really small previous cars, this trick always worked for me. Try it.

I set my seats up similar:
1. Adjust seat height and thigh cushion height so legs are comfortable.
2. Adjust seat fore and aft so feet/legs are comfortable with the pedals.
3. Adjust seat back recline so you don't feel like leaning forward or sitting back too much like F1 driver, and suitable recline to allow elbows to rest on arm rests.
4. Adjust seat bolster.
5. Adjust steering wheel height and distance so arms are comfortable.

Edited to add a few things.

Last edited:
Here’s a photo of the seat risers in a Model Y. Since the Y and 3 share the same platform, perhaps these risers can be removed and the Model 3 mounts could be under those? Or the Y risers could be replaced with shorter risers from a 3?
Then add a cheap aftermarket memory foam seat cushion and you should be good to go!

View attachment 943593

Anyone know why Tesla elected to set the seat risers at such high height?

Reactions: Georgesb2
Wow, I am 6'4" and 320 lbs and consider the available room and seat to be really great. My butt is perhaps wider than the seat pan but that's not the seats problem and isn't uncomfortable.

I also have a pretty long torso, as my pant length is only 30", despite my height. I think you might try leaning your seat back a good bit and extending the steering wheel. Extend your arm and put it on top of the steering wheel. If it's much closer than just under the wrist or forearm you are too close.

Reactions: Yelobird
I test drove a Model 3 when it first came out and don't remember having either of these issues.
Incredible that being as tall as you are, the Model 3 was a better fit.

When I first test drove a Tesla, it was an M3 back in 2019. I was instantly hooked and ordered one right there in the show room yet I hated getting in and out of the car cause it was too low for me. I actually remember popping off the pillar trim on the showroom model, getting in and out. Anyway, I was enamored by the test drive so I ordered one anyway and got the paperwork. After ordering, the damn salesperson tells me that there was a "Model Y" coming out and it would be more like an SUV. I let the 3 go and ate the $100 deposit. When the Y hit the market, Covid was just getting started and I ended up WFH for over a year. Didn't want to buy a car just to sit, then the prices got crazy. I finally got the Y this past February and ordered the day after the big price drop. Like you, I didn't test drive it, but then again, I'm 5'11. I suspect most people who bought one didn't test drive, so no judgement there. Gas prices are about to rise, you may find new appreciation for the car in a few months. It might even be comfy* after that. :)

I'm similarly proportioned at 6'2" with a 33" inseam and 175 lbs. I still struggle with finding my perfect driving position, even 2 years in, though can generally get by without too much discomfort. For my previous GTI and Giulia, I also had the seats pretty much slammed with a bit of rake for thigh support. With the MY, the lowest position seems awkward and uncomfortable to me, and I had to crank it up a bit to get more of a traditional SUV position. I also have trouble seeing the lights, though I'm not so close to the windshield support that I worry about hitting it. I use almost no lumbar support and have it very low in the back rest.

People rave about Tesla seats because they're soft, but I'd give them a solid 6/10. The non-adjustable headrest is obnoxious for a mainstream vehicle, with my head going over them and my wife going under. The seat bottom cushion feels way too short, as I can get a full fist between the seat and the backs of my knees. They are also brutally sweaty in the summer.

The best in the biz IMO are the Volvo, Audi, and Alfa seats that have extendable thigh support. Can do 5 hours no problem in those.

I'm similarly proportioned at 6'2" with a 33" inseam and 175 lbs. I still struggle with finding my perfect driving position, even 2 years in, though can generally get by without too much discomfort. For my previous GTI and Giulia, I also had the seats pretty much slammed with a bit of rake for thigh support. With the MY, the lowest position seems awkward and uncomfortable to me, and I had to crank it up a bit to get more of a traditional SUV position. I also have trouble seeing the lights, though I'm not so close to the windshield support that I worry about hitting it. I use almost no lumbar support and have it very low in the back rest.

People rave about Tesla seats because they're soft, but I'd give them a solid 6/10. The non-adjustable headrest is obnoxious for a mainstream vehicle, with my head going over them and my wife going under. The seat bottom cushion feels way too short, as I can get a full fist between the seat and the backs of my knees. They are also brutally sweaty in the summer.

The best in the biz IMO are the Volvo, Audi, and Alfa seats that have extendable thigh support. Can do 5 hours no problem in those.
I hear you on the headrest. To give people a sense for what I mean when I say I have a long torso -> for me, the headrest is a neck rest. the curve of the headrest actually fits the curve of the back of my neck nicely, so while the rest of the seat is uncomfortable, ironically the head rest doesn't give me the same issues that others have where it feels like it pushes their heads forward :)

Wow, I am 6'4" and 320 lbs and consider the available room and seat to be really great. My butt is perhaps wider than the seat pan but that's not the seats problem and isn't uncomfortable.

I also have a pretty long torso, as my pant length is only 30", despite my height. I think you might try leaning your seat back a good bit and extending the steering wheel. Extend your arm and put it on top of the steering wheel. If it's much closer than just under the wrist or forearm you are too close.
I found a couple similar comments elsewhere in other forums and what I find interesting is that I might actually be in this awkward middle zone where my hips are neither narrow enough to fit between the bolsters, nor wide enough to sit "on" them, which ironically may be more comfortable than the position I'm in, where the bolsters kind of "graze" me and cause this discomfort.

Reactions: Georgesb2
my FIL has a Volvo SUV (XC90 I think), and he hates the seats complaining how uncomfortable those seats are.
Research and actual test drive (more than once) before purchase is essential.
For sure, life lesson learned for me. I actually pre-ordered a Volvo EX30 yesterday and will test drive it before committing fully. My preference for car size living in a city but having 2 young kids with forward facing carseats is actually exactly what my old GTI is. The EX30 is almost exactly that same size. Model Y size can come in handy occasionally but mostly I prefer the smaller size to make parking easier. Model 3 size is better but I can't really live without the practicality of a hatchback. Perhaps Model 2 someday, but for now I think the EX30 may be the perfect fit for me, IF the seat comfort and seating position end up working out...

For sure, life lesson learned for me. I actually pre-ordered a Volvo EX30 yesterday and will test drive it before committing fully. My preference for car size living in a city but having 2 young kids with forward facing carseats is actually exactly what my old GTI is. The EX30 is almost exactly that same size. Model Y size can come in handy occasionally but mostly I prefer the smaller size to make parking easier. Model 3 size is better but I can't really live without the practicality of a hatchback. Perhaps Model 2 someday, but for now I think the EX30 may be the perfect fit for me, IF the seat comfort and seating position end up working out...
If you are very tight and uncomfortable in MY, you will hate your life in EX30.

Anyone know why Tesla elected to set the seat risers at such high height?
Maybe not what you're asking, but seat risers improve visibility, increase comfort with a more natural seated position for your legs/knees, and make it easier to handle child seats (bend over less). Of course the tradeoff is headroom for rear seat passengers.

Honestly that's hard to say. I love my GTI and have no size/seating issues which is the exact same size as the EX30. I think it's more about how the car is packaged in some cases and not how big the outer shell of the car is.
I guess you will have to actually see and ride the car and try not to make the same mistake this time. Good luck!

Reactions: ehfz

As did we.

If you are very tight and uncomfortable in MY, you will hate your life in EX30.

Honestly at this point I'm hopeful you're just a bot.

Reactions: Redbaron73