Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I remember when...my 3 would open without me having to open the app on my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no reason to give the app access to your location at all times. Mine is set to "while using" and works perfectly well.

Nope. If you want it to work without touching the phone you must set it to Always and you must set it to Background.

It is not using your GPS and won't use much battery allowing Always.

This is just how iPhones work, the combination of the two allow apps to do the right thing at the right time in background without using much battery.

I just walked to the car and nothing. Then i decided to pull the handle anyway. It unlocked!
I was under the impression that it would unfold the mirrors and lights would turn on and what not.

The car doesn't give an outward response to your presence, it just allows you to open the door (or unlock the charge port by the button) when the phone is present, and opening the door actually causes it to unfold the mirrors and such.

Think about how annoying it would be if the car turned lights on and unfolded mirrors every time you walked near it when it's parked.

Extra step of unlocking with the card? I use PIN because repeater attacks suck. But I walk up, open the door, sit, touch brake, enter PIN, and go. No card needed. When I stop, I get out and walk away. When I'm about 12 feet away, it locks and arms. I've noticed I can enter the PIN more quickly without it missing numbers on the most recent update.

Thanks for the reply.
So, when I walk up to the car the door unlocks, but as soon as I hit the brake I get the prompt to place the keycard on the console - every time. So I just adapted to using the keycard to prevent having to fish my wallet out and put the card on the console... so the extra step I had was to pull out the keycard after I had buckled up.

The person icon in "locks" seems to be grayed out, there is no response at all to me tapping it.
So I'm stuck wondering why I am constantly prompted to place the keycard... o_O

I have this happen to me about once a week. Not quite sure what is causing it. It may be related to SWMBO’s phone often being just in Bluetooth range of the car when it’s on the charging pad in the kitchen, her having driven the car more recently than me, or the garage being right on the edge of Wifi range, or some bizarre combo.

However, what always works is to gently tap the phone against the pillar behind the driver’s door. That pops up ApplePay and the car unlocks! It may also be sending $1 to Elon, I’ll have to check the next credit card statement.

PS: soft silicone phone case FTW

• Funny
Reactions: JetSpeed
Sorry for no responses since I started the thread. Actual life does distract.

Appreciate all the suggestions - have previously tried all to no avail. Up until several updates ago, it worked at least 95% of the time. But there was an update where quite a few here were having connection issues, so I figured to wait until there was an update to fix that.
But, no fix has come. I just wondered if it was common or just me.

I have iPhone 6s (dragging feet, cuz I see no reason or feature making upgrade viable for the prices now - (as an aside, this phone took that fantastic picture that I use on the left - would hate to retire it). But it did work on the iPhone for quite a while.

Could be the electronic world (which was my life's work) is taunting me: saying "You're not as smart as you think!!"
What irritates me most is the bafflingness (sp) of it all.

Tried reinstalling App, Bluetooth, installing one car at a time, still, works occasionally or rather rarely. Considering having an Exorcist intervene.

Idea for a new game in the Elon Easter Egg venture. You push 'Go' and it randomly disables one feature of the car and counts how many days till you discover it.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: KenC and Fernand
Sometimes the car or the phone appears to be deeply asleep. I find if I hold the door handle out a few seconds it (or they) wake up and start talking and unlock. Most of the time it just works, but sometimes I look inside and the screen is lit up but the doors locked. After a few seconds with the door handle held open it suddenly finds the phone and all works.
This has been the answer every single time for me. Just hold the handle for a bit and the car will unlock and open. I’ve not had this fail yet, and no need to get the phone out, do airplane mode off/on, resets, etc. Just need to give the car a chance.

For me, it’s when I head to, or get off work. I put my backpack in the backseat. Sometimes it just doesn’t unlock for (insert reason) but holding the handle in the “open the damn car!” position has not failed me.

Nope. If you want it to work without touching the phone you must set it to Always and you must set it to Background.

It is not using your GPS and won't use much battery allowing Always.

This is just how iPhones work, the combination of the two allow apps to do the right thing at the right time in background without using much battery.

Not true, mine is set to "while using" and my car always unlocks and locks just fine when i get 20 feet from it. It appears to go off Bluetooth signal strength just fine. I do however have it allowed to background refresh which of course it needs to work when not in the foreground.

Im on IOS 13b (beta) for the last few months on a iPhone 11xs. Initially after installing the beta I had a problem where I would have to restart the Tesla app to get into the car but sometime in July Tesla updated the app and its worked fantastic so far even on the iOS beta.

I just bought a note 10+. My car doesn't unlock as i walk to it. But it does lock itself as i walk away.
Im really hoping i can get it to unlock itself. I will play around with it. Hopefully i will figure it out
Just got the Note 10+ as well and noticed that it doesn't unlock until I grab the phone and unlock it, I don't even have to open the Tesla app. I realized I didn't turn battery optimization off though, so I will see if it works as it should now when I go to my car.

Whatever the cause it's a royal pain. Every time you think you've figured out the solution, it turns out it was a coincidence. Too dumb for words. I can drive hundreds of miles in NOA, flawlessly merging from one highway to another, in dense traffic, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and the car does everything by itself, great. But when I walk up to it to enter the car, every few times I have to stand there there like an ape in 2001 messing with the phone. Access denied, I don't know you!

It's so stoopid I'm embarrassed in public, and I pretend I'm doing something else on the phone. Doh.

I don’t have any problems unless my phone has my body in between it. A shift of my my hips and it pops right open.

iPhone 8, settings as. Such... Location always, back ground app refresh enabled, cellular data enabled.

I park the third level down in a subterranean parking garage.

Thanks for the reply.
So, when I walk up to the car the door unlocks, but as soon as I hit the brake I get the prompt to place the keycard on the console - every time. So I just adapted to using the keycard to prevent having to fish my wallet out and put the card on the console... so the extra step I had was to pull out the keycard after I had buckled up.

The person icon in "locks" seems to be grayed out, there is no response at all to me tapping it.
So I'm stuck wondering why I am constantly prompted to place the keycard... o_O
Wonder if you have a bad Bluetooth sensor in the cabin? Are you sitting in the phone? Where do you keep it in the car?

Reactions: Tron 3