Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I rented an electric car for a 4-day road trip." -Fox Business Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I have no idea if this is the right place for something like this but it seems like the relevant sub for it. Mods, please move, delete, or whatever if this is inappropriate for here.)

So, I subscribe to "electric vehicle" news alerts on google and read this gem of a column. I can't say I disagree with him on any of the facts but the whole time I'm reading it I wanted to scream "WHY DIDN'T YOU RENT A TESLA!!". He would not have had these problems with access to Tesla superchargers.

I'm curious what other TMC members think. If you're feeling really brave you can venture to the comment section below the article which is oozing with some if the most vitriolic anti electric-car hate I have ever come across. I honestly will never understand that, if you don't like electric cars then don't buy one but why so much hate??

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/electric-car-four-day-trip-more-time-charg

After reading her Twitter post, there was clearly an agenda. I guess I wouldn't call it malice, but it was deliberate. Even she should know that failure to structure the trip around charging stops would lead to problems.

IMO, it would have made for a more informative article if she did at least 2 trips. One planned around charging stops like most informed EV drivers do, and one without to compare the differences.

Nah this was pure malice. Any preliminary research on the topic would have educated even a simpleton on the basics. They chose to use an app that ignored the EA fast chargers, after using ABRP. Any person with a few brain cells would have noticed the difference in charge times of 2 hours vs 9 hours. They knowingly chose the latter. I call that utter BS. And all this subterfuge is explained away by not knowing which is BS given that they had some sense in there by checking with ABRP in the first place.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this in a little more depth. It seems that the outbound trip was actually New Orleans->Nashville->Chicago, and the return trip was Chicago->Memphis->New Orleans. For those, like me, who aren't intimately familiar with that part of the country, it's easy to miss that this is an elongated oval; Nashville and Memphis are far enough apart, east-west, both from each other and from a direct route between New Orleans and Chicago, that they aren't logical intermediate locations unless the point is to go there to see the sights, visit friends or relatives, etc. That's fine, of course; it's perfectly legit to do that on a road trip. It complicates discussions of what went wrong, though, since each leg needs to be considered separately, with appropriate waypoints added.

On the New Orleans->Nashville->Chicago trip, Wolfe's error was in ignoring ABRP. On that trip, including Nashville as a waypoint, ABRP adds 71 miles compared to a direct route (what Google Maps suggests, for an ICE vehicle), pretty much exclusively by looping out to the east starting from New Orleans. This is done to hit a series of EA stations. Being generous, it's possible that Wolfe looked at that and thought "that's crazy! I'm not going on a 71-mile detour!" Hence the problems outlined in the writeup -- but the writeup didn't mention ABRP or acknowledge that she may have made a mistake in her trip planning by ignoring it. That would have been fairer to her readers.

On the Chicago->Memphis->New Orleans return trip, it's much trickier. It appears that there's a dearth of charging options to the north of Memphis, so ABRP recommends charging to 98% and then driving a maximum-65-mph route that loops out a bit oddly, I suspect to be able to hit an EA station a bit to the northeast of Memphis. Later on, it hits at least two of the slower DC fast chargers that Wolfe used on her way out. I'm guessing there's a quirk of the expected SoC of the car on the inbound vs. outbound trips that explains this discrepancy. In particular, I didn't fiddle with ABRP's defaults too much, which means it assumed a 90% SoC at the start of the journey; but reading between the lines, I suspect that Wolfe left New Orleans on the outbound trip with significantly less than this, hence the need to stop to charge just 40 miles into her journey.

I also noticed one reference to charging to 100%, although it's not clear if Wolfe actually did this or was just reporting what the car was telling her: "our dashboard tells us a full charge, from 18% to 100%, will take 3-plus hours." There was another reference to using a stop to "top off" the charge. Certainly, if she was charging to 100%, that would be part of why she took so long to charge.

Wolfe's Tweet says she was trying to emulate a "typical" road trip. New Orleans is the 53rd-largest city in the US, and Chicago is the 3rd, according to Wikipedia. I wasn't willing to map out routes between all the 2,756 possible combinations of cities from #1 to #53 in population, but I did randomly select ten pairs, and I found that the New Orleans->Chicago trip is very atypical. ABRP suggests routes that add no more than 2.8% of trip distance compared to what Google Maps recommends, for the ten randomly-selected pairs I used. (I did discard two pairs because they were too close together. The rest ranged from 632 to 2693 miles apart.) The straight New Orleans->Chicago path adds 15.97% of trip distance. Looking separately at the outbound and inbound trips, with the Nashville and Memphis detours, those add 7.06% and 15.09%, respectively, compared to what Google Maps suggests for trips with those waypoints. It's hard to argue that Wolfe picked this trip specifically because it's an outlier; her Twitter bio says she lives in New Orleans, and the article says she was visiting her alma mater in Chicago, so this is a trip she might legitimately take. These facts do, though, illustrate the fact that DC fast charging infrastructure still needs to be built up in the US; some routes are still challenging for EVs -- especially for non-Teslas. This is a legitimate issue; but the problems Wolfe encountered are not typical, IMHO, and presenting her problems as typical is deceptive.

I told ABRP to use the Kia EV6 SR RWD for its calculations. It's unclear precisely what car Wolfe was using; she said it was listed on Turo as an LR model, but said that a Kia representative thought it might have been an SR version. I won't re-run all the calculations, but ABRP drops 40 miles and fifty minutes off the Chicago->Memphis->New Orleans trip when I switched to an LR RWD EV6. My own 2019 Model 3 LR RWD could do it in almost two hours less time than the LR RWD EV6, thanks to better Supercharger placement. I didn't factor any overnight L2 charges into my calculations, although Wolfe claims to have done so.

I probably should have some kind of range anxiety but I can’t generate the concern.

Had a flight cancellation last month at last minute, Nc to Ohio. Just drove straight from the airport to Columbus, one supercharger stop. So easy. Trips down to south Florida etc super easy even just using Tesla navigation.

I know these clowns deliberately chose a non-Tesla vehicle and played up how hard it was through deliberate sabotage of their trip. Just another example of shaping the news for a desired result, which seems to be all journalism amounts to this past 10 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
FWIW, I've done yet more checking. Wolfe created PlugShare entries for most of her stops, which helps in verifying the journey's details, even when she gets a bit vague toward the end about where she stopped. Her PlugShare profile says she's had 8 check-ins, and I've located 7 of them -- most quite easily because they match the locations she mentions in her article. I still haven't found the 8th, though. She created them all (or at least the 7 I've found) on April 14, so of course for a 4-day trip, that means they must have been created after the fact. One of the check-ins is for an L2 EVSE near a hotel, so it seems she did have the sense to do an overnight L2 charge, at least at one overnight stop.

Anyhow, if I've located all the stops (I've probably missed one or two), the legs of her journey range from 27 miles (after L2 charging because she found she lacked sufficient charge to reach her next stop, as detailed in her article) to 202 miles, with an average distance of 142 miles. She mostly went 100-180 miles between charges. If I've missed a stop or two, then the average distance would of course come down a bit. This is all consistent with her having the short-range EV6 (232 miles of range, vs. 274 or 310 miles for the long-range AWD and RWD variants), which makes the trip a little bit trickier -- but it would still have been do-able with better infrastructure. It's also consistent with her not charging to 100%, at least not at most stops.

Having spent way too much time poking around on PlugShare, my view on this is changing slightly. I still think the tone of the article is overly negative, and she omitted certain critical details (like the fact that she ignored ABRP); but the CCS charging infrastructure around New Orleans and heading toward Memphis from the north is pretty dismal and needs to be improved. There are too few stations, and too many of the ones that exist top out at 50 kW or even less. On her outbound trip, she really would have saved herself a lot of problems if she'd followed the ABRP guidance, but even that requires a significant detour to hit the good EA sites. The return trip was difficult more because of the aforementioned deficient infrastructure than because of mistakes that Wolfe made. The good news is that PlugShare shows a lot of "coming soon" sites along this route, so with any luck it'll improve in the near future.

Using an SR version would definitely be stacking the odds against an EV. An SR EV6 is a fine car for the occasional 400 mile trip, but it's by no means a car good for multi day journeys. Proper journalism would entail that you at least point out that the long range variant of the same car exists and would likely have saved significant amounts of time.

Reactions: Pricedm
I think the bottom line here is that given the charging infrastructure differences, EV choices and chosen route, one can have a very wide range of experiences ranging from very positive to very negative during a trip. Given her choices and lack of experience, it was a given that her's would skew towards the negative.

But like mentioned already, using her experience as a barometer for long trips in an EV is deceptive. From the very beginning she should have chosen the most common EV in the US: a Tesla. And the more I think about it, the more I have hard time believing that wasn't on purpose and that there wasn't a hidden agenda.

Reactions: Pricedm
I've spent way too much of my weekend digging even deeper into this, and writing a rebuttal that's much longer than Wolfe's own piece. I might or might not put it up on my Web site.

I strongly suspect, but am nowhere near positive, that Wolfe was charging her car to 100% at some or all of her DC fast charger stops. She makes several references to "full charge," "100% charge," or similar terms, although these are often in the context of the car telling her how long it'll take to reach that charge; she could of course have unplugged before then. Given the drive distances and couple of times she almost ran out of charge, it seems likely that she was driving the SR version of the EV6 (235 miles rated range, more like 200 miles on the highway), and some of her legs couldn't be done without something very close to a 100% charge. (OTOH, maybe she neglected to mention intermediate charges; or she might have been driving an LR version with a lead foot or had some other problem that was degrading its range.)

Can somebody ask her about this on Twitter? I don't have a Twitter account, and I'd prefer not to get one just for this purpose.

I've spent way too much of my weekend digging even deeper into this, and writing a rebuttal that's much longer than Wolfe's own piece. I might or might not put it up on my Web site.

I strongly suspect, but am nowhere near positive, that Wolfe was charging her car to 100% at some or all of her DC fast charger stops. She makes several references to "full charge," "100% charge," or similar terms, although these are often in the context of the car telling her how long it'll take to reach that charge; she could of course have unplugged before then. Given the drive distances and couple of times she almost ran out of charge, it seems likely that she was driving the SR version of the EV6 (235 miles rated range, more like 200 miles on the highway), and some of her legs couldn't be done without something very close to a 100% charge. (OTOH, maybe she neglected to mention intermediate charges; or she might have been driving an LR version with a lead foot or had some other problem that was degrading its range.)

Can somebody ask her about this on Twitter? I don't have a Twitter account, and I'd prefer not to get one just for this purpose.
how about email her directly? [email protected]

I am impressed over the amount of research you put into this effort. Unlike Ms. Wolfe.

Do none of you get the point that it is unnecessary to plan a route in a petrol car. Which makes driving an event much less convenient. While on holiday recently we used my wife's petrol car as who wants to plan exactly where to go depending on charging availability.

I don’t plan a route. I just stop at a supercharger when the battery gets low every 400 miles or so when on a trip.

Most of the USA is blanketed with these chargers. The “expose” piece deliberately chose a part of the country with lowest penetration, and chose a non-Tesla so that superchargers were not an option. The trip was formulated specifically to support their narrative.

By all means, enjoy your gas car.

I don’t plan a route. I just stop at a supercharger when the battery gets low every 400 miles or so when on a trip.

Most of the USA is blanketed with these chargers. The “expose” piece deliberately chose a part of the country with lowest penetration, and chose a non-Tesla so that superchargers were not an option. The trip was formulated specifically to support their narrative.

By all means, enjoy your gas car.

The writer lives in New Orleans. So, yes, she would have to deal with sparse infrastructure if visiting Chicago, where I believe she's from.

The problem, as is typical for such article written by general journalists is that they aren't an owner, and, worse, act almost like a complete noob, which means that it's not representative of the EV ownership experience. And journalists, who know how to do research, should _never_ be acting like a noob unless they are _specifically_ demonstrating noob v knowledge.

As far as knowledge goes, just a small amount makes things so much better because (1) charging is not the same as refueling (2) there can be limited DCFC available.

I've had the charging desert problem where I thought we were going to a charging desert so took our Volt instead. Turned out that having been a rushed alternative (canceled flight) we changed on the fly and didn't go to the charging desert, so could have taken our Kona.

On a trip to Charlottetown, PE, I was overprepared, because we were going to Canada and I wasn't _completely_ sure that we'd have cell data. With cell data, you can easily access information on the fly. My wife was concerned about how much effort I'd gone to, but it really was primarily about the cell coverage. Charging density was fine, but capacity was limited so I was stopping more frequently to give me a contingency charger.

Yeah that’s all fair.

I am down in New Orleans every month or two but won’t drive my Tesla there… mainly due to how common vehicle break ins are particularly in the French Quarter.

I have made trips up and down the east coast and to the Midwest, I basely think about charging as the vehicle does it all for me based on route. I do have ABRP etc but honestly it’s just not worth the effort.

Reactions: electricar