Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I rolled my own Carbon Fibre taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hcsharp

Jun 7, 2011
Vermont
I put such a stupid amount of work into these that I have to show them off...:)
IMG_1041f.jpg

IMG_1045f.jpg

IMG_1037f.jpg

Did u make any extras? :)
I think what you're asking is "Did you make any extras that somebody might want to put on their Roadster?"

I made a LOT of extras. But they didn't turn out good enough to use. These taillights are extremely difficult to make, and I have some experience with composite fabrication. The only reason I didn't give up is because my stubbornness was stronger than my common sense!

That said, I finally got a pair that I felt were good enough for my car. In the process I developed an extremely labor intensive technique that results in remarkably beautiful parts about 60% of the time (I'm guessing, but it's in that neighborhood).

Am I going to make them for sale? I don't know yet. I don't know what I could sell them for. I know that I'm going to make at least one more pair for a friend of mine who generously did me a nice favor. That's all I know at this time.

I believe they're complete CF reproduction assemblies.
That's correct, they are not overlays. They are a complete replacement of the plastic surrounds including the brackets on the back side. Roadrunner13 saw them in progress while he was charging here one day. I'm traveling right now and when I return I'm going to continue trying to develop a technique that will result in reliable parts. No promises.

Include me as well...Will you be making more?
I've managed to make a few, but it's quite labor intensive. Not sure how many I'll be able to make. I sold one pair and might have some more in a couple of weeks. I'll add your name to the list (and anybody else) and let you know if/when they're ready. Don't hold your breath. I'm also working on door sills.