TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I saw a 2020 Performance with the gray wheels on the street today

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tttt, Nov 28, 2019.

1. tttt

tttt Member

I don’t know how big of a deal it is but AFAIK there haven’t been any/many deliveries of this model yet. Could take any pictures sorry. He was in the right turning lane and I was going straight and the light just went green.

I was able to catch a few glimpses - car was gray, and it had the 20” performance wheels, also in gray, plus red brake calipers. Also, all windows were tinted and door handles blacked out

2. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

How are you sure this is a 2020 with the new grey wheels, and not a performance with 20s where someone had the wheels painted / dipped etc? you mention they had a chrome delete and window tint, and most places that do a chrome delete can arrange painting the wheels... it was offered by my place when I got my chrome delete.

• Like x 1
  3. tttt

tttt Member

The wheels looked OEM. Remember these photos of the car carriers - that’s what I saw.

upload_2019-11-29_7-59-17.jpeg

4. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

You didn’t see a 2020. It was a modded 2019.

While waiting for your car your mind sees what it wants. The logic is if you saw a 2020 (with chrome delete, tint, and a license plate already) then you believe that you’re closer to getting your car.

It’s okay, just part of the process. Your car will arrive soon.

• Funny x 4
  5. wariqp3d

wariqp3d Member

But you didn't see a 2020, you saw a 2019 with powdercoated wheels. If ANY performance 2020 was shipped out, this forum would have heard of it.. lol

6. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

Not necessarily true, if only because this site makes up only a small majority of actual owners, and most here already have one. usually when someone joins they're either a new owner or one that is about to buy one w/questions.

7. intelligator

intelligator Member

I looked around on the forum, not finding the paint code for the gray wheels. Anyone recall seeing it anywhere? I have the winter aero's with Nokians on the 3 now. While off the car, I am repairing curb rashed sport 19's... now might be a good time to lay on the gray instead of spraying the silver.

8. rtshefe

rtshefe Member

the wheels could be ordered off tesla.com for a while..most likely what happened

9. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

2020 Performances haven’t even started being made at the factory yet, lol.

But let’s assume they started last week. I’ll even assume 2 weeks ago to put this to rest.

That would mean the car was assembled, inspected, shipped to Florida, prepped for delivery, tinted, chrome deleted, registered with hard plates and casually driven around Florida.

If you believe all of that happened I have my 2020 M3P as well. I’d take a pic but my phone is dead and the internet isn’t working.

• Funny x 3
  10. tttt

tttt Member

Honestly I’m not sure what I saw. I only had a few seconds next to that car and thought it looked special.
    (For what it’s worth it also had the dual motor with underline badge)

11. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Wow, this is a tough crowd. Love those wheels.

• Love x 1
  12. SHERIDANTIMP

SHERIDANTIMP P3D+ 10/24 order

THe stress of waiting is showing it's ugly head. :mad::eek:o_O

• Funny x 1
  13. m3-ricardo

m3-ricardo Member

jeez -- wtf -- why is everyone so crazy on this forum ..

the man saw what he saw .. enjoy the sighting .. stop being an a-hole

• Like x 3
  14. adaminfl

adaminfl Member

This was NOT a 2020. This was a 2019. It is actually a friend of mine who lives on the east coast but was on the west for the holiday. The car has aftermarket wheels, and is wrapped in a gun-metal gray.

15. wariqp3d

wariqp3d Member

Are you reading the same thread? no one was being a d*ck. Just.. stating the obv. Not a 2020, not factory wheels. That is all.

• Like x 1
  16. Loit

Loit Member

To the newbie.. can anyone explain what the difference is between 2019 and 2020 models?

I didn't think Tesla really had model years...

17. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Search

18. tttt

tttt Member

Oh, thanks for clarification. This was at the Miromar Outlets, just off I-75.

19. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Sure, I will try anyway.

Tesla always had model years, just like every other car manufacturer. I believe that noting a model year on the car is a requirement in the US. What you are likely remembering is that, in the past, tesla did not release the "next years model" until the year had actually clicked over into the next year. Thus, in 2018, 2018 model year teslas were made up until december 31st, 2018, and when they started making cars in 2019 those were 2019 model year cars.

This contradicts other car manufacturers who release the new model year somewhere between july and december of the previous year (2020 BMWs have been on sale since around august / september).

Anyway, for some reason that we are unsure of, tesla has changed their stance on this, and started delivering MY 2020 cars in November of this year.

Now, onto the actual question you asked. Since tesla does not currently wait until the model year changes to make changes to the vehicle or manufacturing process, there is no hard and fast "model year 2020 gets or doesnt get this or that".

There has been small de contenting of the vehicle (dead pedal removed, frunk bag hooks removed are the two I remember reading). The reason one would want a 2020 over a 2019 deals mostly with depreciation and the fact that a 2020 is a "year newer" on the depreciation scale.

Here is a thread where people are talking about it, but because I have had my car since december of 2018, I have not read said thread:

MASTER THREAD: 2020 model year Model 3 and the differences, if any, from 2019

Welcome to TMC btw :)

20. Sparty93

Sparty93 Member

#20 Sparty93, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    I am certain this is not true. They have been making the 2020 cars with Grey Performance wheels since at least 21 October! I know, I have one scheduled for delivery in Australia in two weeks. Already invoiced (that’s why I can confirm build date, model year, wheels etc). It is currently going through clearing in country. It takes approx 7-8 weeks from manufacture date to delivery in Australia.

Now it could certainly be the overseas were prioritised for the 2020 builds as it is well know Tesla has learned its lesson and wants to minimise cars in transit at the end of the quarter. So there may not be many 2020 in the US (we know there are some as we saw the truck). I also have no idea what he saw in Florida. My only point is the factory is turning out 2020 M3P+ with the grey performance wheels since at least 21 October. The first deliveries of this model will start next week down under.