Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw a 2020 Performance with the gray wheels on the street today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know how big of a deal it is but AFAIK there haven’t been any/many deliveries of this model yet. Could take any pictures sorry. He was in the right turning lane and I was going straight and the light just went green.

I was able to catch a few glimpses - car was gray, and it had the 20” performance wheels, also in gray, plus red brake calipers. Also, all windows were tinted and door handles blacked out

How are you sure this is a 2020 with the new grey wheels, and not a performance with 20s where someone had the wheels painted / dipped etc? you mention they had a chrome delete and window tint, and most places that do a chrome delete can arrange painting the wheels... it was offered by my place when I got my chrome delete.

Reactions: ZappCatt
The wheels looked OEM. Remember these photos of the car carriers - that’s what I saw.

upload_2019-11-29_7-59-17.jpeg

But you didn't see a 2020, you saw a 2019 with powdercoated wheels. If ANY performance 2020 was shipped out, this forum would have heard of it.. lol
Not necessarily true, if only because this site makes up only a small majority of actual owners, and most here already have one. usually when someone joins they're either a new owner or one that is about to buy one w/questions.

I looked around on the forum, not finding the paint code for the gray wheels. Anyone recall seeing it anywhere? I have the winter aero's with Nokians on the 3 now. While off the car, I am repairing curb rashed sport 19's... now might be a good time to lay on the gray instead of spraying the silver.

Not necessarily true, if only because this site makes up only a small majority of actual owners, and most here already have one. usually when someone joins they're either a new owner or one that is about to buy one w/questions.

2020 Performances haven’t even started being made at the factory yet, lol.

But let’s assume they started last week. I’ll even assume 2 weeks ago to put this to rest.

That would mean the car was assembled, inspected, shipped to Florida, prepped for delivery, tinted, chrome deleted, registered with hard plates and casually driven around Florida.

If you believe all of that happened I have my 2020 M3P as well. I’d take a pic but my phone is dead and the internet isn’t working.

To the newbie.. can anyone explain what the difference is between 2019 and 2020 models?

I didn't think Tesla really had model years...
Sure, I will try anyway.

Tesla always had model years, just like every other car manufacturer. I believe that noting a model year on the car is a requirement in the US. What you are likely remembering is that, in the past, tesla did not release the "next years model" until the year had actually clicked over into the next year. Thus, in 2018, 2018 model year teslas were made up until december 31st, 2018, and when they started making cars in 2019 those were 2019 model year cars.

This contradicts other car manufacturers who release the new model year somewhere between july and december of the previous year (2020 BMWs have been on sale since around august / september).

Anyway, for some reason that we are unsure of, tesla has changed their stance on this, and started delivering MY 2020 cars in November of this year.

Now, onto the actual question you asked. Since tesla does not currently wait until the model year changes to make changes to the vehicle or manufacturing process, there is no hard and fast "model year 2020 gets or doesnt get this or that".

There has been small de contenting of the vehicle (dead pedal removed, frunk bag hooks removed are the two I remember reading). The reason one would want a 2020 over a 2019 deals mostly with depreciation and the fact that a 2020 is a "year newer" on the depreciation scale.

Here is a thread where people are talking about it, but because I have had my car since december of 2018, I have not read said thread:

MASTER THREAD: 2020 model year Model 3 and the differences, if any, from 2019

Welcome to TMC btw :)

2020 Performances haven’t even started being made at the factory yet, lol.

But let’s assume they started last week. I’ll even assume 2 weeks ago to put this to rest.

That would mean the car was assembled, inspected, shipped to Florida, prepped for delivery, tinted, chrome deleted, registered with hard plates and casually driven around Florida.

If you believe all of that happened I have my 2020 M3P as well. I’d take a pic but my phone is dead and the internet isn’t working.
I am certain this is not true. They have been making the 2020 cars with Grey Performance wheels since at least 21 October! I know, I have one scheduled for delivery in Australia in two weeks. Already invoiced (that’s why I can confirm build date, model year, wheels etc). It is currently going through clearing in country. It takes approx 7-8 weeks from manufacture date to delivery in Australia.

Now it could certainly be the overseas were prioritised for the 2020 builds as it is well know Tesla has learned its lesson and wants to minimise cars in transit at the end of the quarter. So there may not be many 2020 in the US (we know there are some as we saw the truck). I also have no idea what he saw in Florida. My only point is the factory is turning out 2020 M3P+ with the grey performance wheels since at least 21 October. The first deliveries of this model will start next week down under.

Last edited: