Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
We were going north on El Camino from the Palo Alto shopping mall. It was red, and must have been the one from the Detroit show. It was on a flatbed truck. From that vantage I could see a flat bulge underneath the car, which I assume was the battery pack. I could also see through the windows and glass roof. It had a standard CA license plate, not a dealer one.

It looked great!

Not sure where it was going though - the truck was moving pretty slowly and I didn't have time to follow it.

...It had a standard CA license plate, not a dealer one...

Yes, I think the Model S concept has had a "standard" plate all along.
Probably it has a registered "donor chassis" at first, so it may not have had to have special registration like a new prototype would.

heading_inside_large.jpg

(I wonder if someone "ran the plate" if "manufacturer" would show up as a Tesla or a Mercedes?)

It really does exist...

This reminds me of that M&Ms commercial, where the one M&M faints when he sees Santa Claus, exclaiming, "he really does exist!" Seriously, though, those of us who have production queue numbers are heartened by any news or sightings of our Model S!

Seriously, though, those of us who have production queue numbers are heartened by any news or sightings of our Model S!

While I'd normally agree, I don't think this particular sighting is anything spectacular. It's just spotting a car that we already know exists in transit :) Heck, for all we know, it could have broken down horribly and needed a tow! :biggrin:

Yes, I think the Model S concept has had a "standard" plate all along.
Probably it has a registered "donor chassis" at first, so it may not have had to have special registration like a new prototype would.

heading_inside_large.jpg

(I wonder if someone "ran the plate" if "manufacturer" would show up as a Tesla or a Mercedes?)

I did some sleuthing of my photo collection of the S model and the same California plate # is shown in photos of the red, gray and white painted S model. I don't know if it's the same car repainted a different color or 3 separate cars and the license plate is being moved from vehicle to vehicle.

I suppose someone could have borrowed the front plate from the gray->red one and stuck it on the back of the white one...
tesla-model-s-sedan_1.jpg

By the way, the white one doesn't run... It doesn't even have a complete interior. It is a "pusher/roller" body model.

I suppose someone could have borrowed the front plate from the gray->red one and stuck it on the back of the white one...

A front plate should not have stickers on it ...
Both vehicles in the same room does not mean both had license plates ...

Don't have time to search the "S" pictures ... but ... hint ... look for same plate/month/year-stickers in the same photo ... :smile:

No plate, dummy plate, dealer plate, manufacturer plate, take your pick...
3423445362_7749e599d4.jpg
4086386050_ed49ecaf2f.jpg
3492158154_8834e82aa0.jpg
4293870501_467ee55576.jpg

At the LA intro when gray and white were together they both had dealer plates...

Last edited:

Yeah - I think that is a plate #.
So, for instance a dealer and/or manufacturer (and in some cases both) gets a set of plates each with the same vendor #, but each with a unique sequence plate #.

I gather the Model S concept cars are a bit of a gray area so they just sometimes decide to grab an available plate from somewhere and just put it on there temporarily.

I think many of those dealer/manufacturer plates are fairly interchangeable. I think it is OK to move them from vehicle to vehicle. The 5NPH921 plate, on the other hand, probably is supposed to stay on a specific vehicle with a particular VIN #. (But if the vehicle is only ever in a shipping truck, private parking lot, or exhibit hall then it probably doesn't matter.)

Yeah - I think that is a plate #.
So, for instance a dealer and/or manufacturer (and in some cases both) gets a set of plates each with the same vendor #, but each with a unique sequence plate #.

I gather the Model S concept cars are a bit of a gray area so they just sometimes decide to grab an available plate from somewhere and just put it on there temporarily.

I think many of those dealer/manufacturer plates are fairly interchangeable. I think it is OK to move them from vehicle to vehicle. The 5NPH921 plate, on the other hand, probably is supposed to stay on a specific vehicle with a particular VIN #. (But if the vehicle is only ever in a shipping truck, private parking lot, or exhibit hall then it probably doesn't matter.)

As I recall vaguely that plate was also seen on a Roadster was it not? No proof and no desire to search but it sticks in my mind that we had this discussion before and it was between a Roadster and Model S or perhaps two Roadsters .....