Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I see dead people...." (Well, the X is seeing ghosts)

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
We removed a dying tree from alongside the garage so I installed blinds on the garage windows to keep the temperatures down in the summer. Ever since then when parking the car in the garage it "sees" a ghost standing behind the right rear...Curious, but it can only be the blinds/light that is causing it; we can see the ghost every time during the day and always in the same spot. (BTW, the X always produces odd images for my Roadster on the left)

IMG_7093.jpeg

IMG_7092.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

moot

Feb 2, 2019
California
This is so cool lol. We have a few bikes in the garage and its always funny to see the motorcyclists. Also, it picks up our trash bins as trucks sometimes. The ghost is awesome though

• Love

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Man that is creepy.

It is a function of the ML model. It knows a few types of object classes like [truck, motorcycle, van, car, person] Then based on the model it makes a prediction as to the class of object it "sees".

Such as [truck, motorcycle, van, car, person] = [0.11, 0.09, 0.05, 0.75]. And based on the highest value says "the highest probability is a person, therefore that white blob in the driveway behind me is a person", and the screen software draws a person.

Strange that it is so far away from your car. Is there are tree, mailbox, lamppost, or other object a car length behind your car?

FWIW, it classifies our BMW 335 as a van when it is parked next to the X. I suspect if sees it is a vehicle and sees the garage wall behind the BMW as part of the vehicle. Therefore tall vehicle with short length => big van.

Last edited:

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
Strange that it is so far away from your car. Is there are tree, mailbox, lamppost, or other object a car length behind your car?

Nope, nothing except shadows.

FWIW, it classifies our BMW 335 as a van when it is parked next to the X. I suspect if sees it is a vehicle and sees the garage wall behind the BMW as part of the vehicle. Therefore tall vehicle with short length => big van.

The "motorcyclists" to the front left of my car is actually the robot pool cleaner. :D

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC