Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I see dead people...." (Well, the X is seeing ghosts)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We removed a dying tree from alongside the garage so I installed blinds on the garage windows to keep the temperatures down in the summer. Ever since then when parking the car in the garage it "sees" a ghost standing behind the right rear...Curious, but it can only be the blinds/light that is causing it; we can see the ghost every time during the day and always in the same spot. (BTW, the X always produces odd images for my Roadster on the left)

IMG_7093.jpeg

IMG_7092.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Man that is creepy.

It is a function of the ML model. It knows a few types of object classes like [truck, motorcycle, van, car, person] Then based on the model it makes a prediction as to the class of object it "sees".

Such as [truck, motorcycle, van, car, person] = [0.11, 0.09, 0.05, 0.75]. And based on the highest value says "the highest probability is a person, therefore that white blob in the driveway behind me is a person", and the screen software draws a person.

Strange that it is so far away from your car. Is there are tree, mailbox, lamppost, or other object a car length behind your car?

FWIW, it classifies our BMW 335 as a van when it is parked next to the X. I suspect if sees it is a vehicle and sees the garage wall behind the BMW as part of the vehicle. Therefore tall vehicle with short length => big van.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
Strange that it is so far away from your car. Is there are tree, mailbox, lamppost, or other object a car length behind your car?

Nope, nothing except shadows.

FWIW, it classifies our BMW 335 as a van when it is parked next to the X. I suspect if sees it is a vehicle and sees the garage wall behind the BMW as part of the vehicle. Therefore tall vehicle with short length => big van.

The "motorcyclists" to the front left of my car is actually the robot pool cleaner. :D

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt