Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see Gen 3 home chargers over heating, what about Gen 2’s?

djillusion

Mar 19, 2020
Chicago
B1FB9C6B-48E7-446E-93E8-60AF55DB8AE0.jpeg
B3CB4244-A487-4C25-AC1C-C589BF3F3F8E.jpeg
0FBB0196-8672-4E2B-8A97-66015B38DB63.jpeg

My Gen 2 signature musk home charger has burned out. The smell after removing the cover was obvious and you can see the damaged/burnt terminal connection area(s).

I’m going to email/chat with Tesla about this as this is really unfortunate but anyone else have this issue with a Gen 2 charger?

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
View attachment 608699 View attachment 608700 View attachment 608701

My Gen 2 signature musk home charger has burned out. The smell after removing the cover was obvious and you can see the damaged/burnt terminal connection area(s).

I’m going to email/chat with Tesla about this as this is really unfortunate but anyone else have this issue with a Gen 2 charger?

That was a bad install. But sometimes Tesla will still honor replacing it. Wire was not properly seated and tightened. And it doesn’t hurt to check after 6 months or so. But it’s a poor design because it’s not easy to confirm you are seated.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark

teethdood

Jan 30, 2017
Visalia, California
I had the same thing happen to me. Same signature HPWC. Same leg burnt out. I was charging at only 40A. Tesla gave me a new non-signature HPWC. All I had to do was take the signature fascia off the old and pop it into the new. Handle is shiny, not matte. HPWC comes with 4 year warranty.

djillusion

Mar 19, 2020
Chicago
thanks for the feedback guys! i have a warranty claim open with Tesla and hoping they can provide a solution. while the matte was good looking, i don't care as much any more as long as i can get my higher amperage back with a replacement that has a long enough cord like the 24 foot one.

for now, had to move to a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the standard mobile charger that is giving me 32 amps and 20 miles per hour.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC