Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see Gen 3 home chargers over heating, what about Gen 2’s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B1FB9C6B-48E7-446E-93E8-60AF55DB8AE0.jpeg
B3CB4244-A487-4C25-AC1C-C589BF3F3F8E.jpeg
0FBB0196-8672-4E2B-8A97-66015B38DB63.jpeg

My Gen 2 signature musk home charger has burned out. The smell after removing the cover was obvious and you can see the damaged/burnt terminal connection area(s).

I’m going to email/chat with Tesla about this as this is really unfortunate but anyone else have this issue with a Gen 2 charger?

View attachment 608699 View attachment 608700 View attachment 608701

My Gen 2 signature musk home charger has burned out. The smell after removing the cover was obvious and you can see the damaged/burnt terminal connection area(s).

I’m going to email/chat with Tesla about this as this is really unfortunate but anyone else have this issue with a Gen 2 charger?

That was a bad install. But sometimes Tesla will still honor replacing it. Wire was not properly seated and tightened. And it doesn’t hurt to check after 6 months or so. But it’s a poor design because it’s not easy to confirm you are seated.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I had the same thing happen to me. Same signature HPWC. Same leg burnt out. I was charging at only 40A. Tesla gave me a new non-signature HPWC. All I had to do was take the signature fascia off the old and pop it into the new. Handle is shiny, not matte. HPWC comes with 4 year warranty.

thanks for the feedback guys! i have a warranty claim open with Tesla and hoping they can provide a solution. while the matte was good looking, i don't care as much any more as long as i can get my higher amperage back with a replacement that has a long enough cord like the 24 foot one.

for now, had to move to a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the standard mobile charger that is giving me 32 amps and 20 miles per hour.