Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see my old P85D on Tesla's used inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's listed as having been in an accident and I don't know why. I never wrecked it and it's never been body work repaired while I owned it. It still has the Tesla center console I had Tesla put in and looks like the new tires I put on it before it went to Tesla are still good, I had this car looking awesome, spent all day buffing the solid black paint back to new looking and everything.

The only mechanical repair I had was the charge port replaced under warranty, not bad for three years.

2016 Model S | Tesla

Here's the damage on the vehicle, that was the only damage reported.

Maybe an error with the VIN on the "accident" vehicle ....which was a Tesla with a slightly different VIN. I'm always seeing errors on CarFax's.

This is the information reported by AutoCheck... There's a Case number showing:
upload_2019-5-6_17-51-22.png

Do "Previously Repaired" vehicles have clean titles? Does Tesla sell salvage title vehicles?

Tesla would not sell cars with salvaged titles. This car has a clean title and if the damage was under 500 then it could have simply been a scratch that had to be filled, sanded and repainted which would have involved blending adjacent panels depending on the size. If I was in the market this type of damage would not deter me from a purchase.

Tesla would not sell cars with salvaged titles. This car has a clean title and if the damage was under 500 then it could have simply been a scratch that had to be filled, sanded and repainted which would have involved blending adjacent panels depending on the size. If I was in the market this type of damage would not deter me from a purchase.

The problem is: how can you know it was something minor, for sure? You can’t. It’s a gamble. And for people that don’t have luck with cars (such as me), it’s obvious what to do: keep looking.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
The problem is: how can you know it was something minor, for sure? You can’t. It’s a gamble. And for people that don’t have luck with cars (such as me), it’s obvious what to do: keep looking.

I'm sure it was something very minor, like under $500 as mentioned in the car fax report. I'll bet the former owner didn't even get it fixed since there was no damage.

I'm sure it was something very minor, like under $500 as mentioned in the car fax report. I'll bet the former owner didn't even get it fixed since there was no damage.

Under 500 is very minor but at a body shop with rates from 65 to 85 an hour 500 does not go far. Definitely a very minor blemish which most of us have on our cars or have had and do nothing about.

If it was repaired to Tesla specs then the work is professionally done and guaranteed and 99% of people can't even tell if anything was done. If you steer clear of a very minor issue like this one then you would never buy a used car or many new cars. I'm in the collision parts business and you wouldnt believe how many brand new cars have minor damage from transport or a lot attendant that is not very cautious around other cars.

Reactions: Seven7
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've read the upgrade no long applies, unless you had placed a deposit on the upgrade and never got it done, you were still eligible to receive the upgrade?

I asked a well known non-Tesla engineer about upgrading my P85D to Ludicrous, assuming I could get the right parts... and even he said it's no longer possible since Tesla stopped signing the firmware versions to support P85DL upgrades. So even "hacking" the car, it's not possible for P85Ds.

So my only hope now would be to get a salvage P100DL and transplant the battery and everything else needed. It might be easier to transplant the P+ suspension out of my car into another P100DL. Either of those two options would cost more than the original $5000 upgrade fee.