Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see so many model Y owners having issues. Would you buy again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could have been from the early batches of the Y? We've had our two model 3s since 2019 and so far trouble free after a combined 45k miles. Like all cars I think it's good idea to avoid first model year. I'm planning to pick up a model Y as soon as they refresh the interior.

I’m seeing model Y owner’s experiencing issue after issue. This personally worries me as I have a model Y on order and don’t have the time to deal with service issues and inoperable cars. Would you buy the car again given what you know after being an owner or would you go a different route? Open to all honesty.

We have Y number 4XX and have had zero issues, it's been a great so far!

Don't forget, forums are magnets for complains not praises.

I find these discussions about the quality of the Model Y or other Models entertaining. I got my Y in November and it now has 6K miles on it. No problems. One minor rattle is all. When I picked it up I looked at the other cars in the lot that were there waiting for their owners. I did not see any issues with any of them. I really got entertained by some new owners going over the vehicle with intense scrutiny. Why did I get entertained? I buy cars for a living and work in the auto industry and have for years. I have seen and driven just about every car available. What some people complain about is generally nothing. Is the Tesla perfect? No. It is a great car. I owned a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor LR. I put 31k on it and it was time for new tires so I traded it in on the 21 Model Y. The Tesla has a warranty that is all anyone needs to be concerned about. Yes, some will have issues. ALL CARS DO! It would shock you to know the truth about a number of "luxury car" and their problems. I challenge you to find a better car for the money. If you don't like it buy one of the "luxury cars" and put up with those problems. I sat in a $100k luxury car yesterday and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to start it and put it in gear. It was so complex the owner did not know how to use most of the buttons and features. In a few hours, I will get up and walk across the lot full of luxury cars and unplug my Tesla Model Y. I will get on the freeway and put it in AutoPilot and head home. I will enjoy a sweet ride that is really fantastic. Is it perfect? No! But it is as good as or better than anything on the freeway today. And it is getting better. AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR TESLA THEN SELL IT TO ME. I buy cars for a living.

We love our MY AWD and would buy another Tesla 100%.

Like others have stated you have to wait for production to get to steady state before ordering.

Our car was flawless with no interior or exterior issues as described. The only thing we found was an off center steering wheel and the SC handled it ASAP getting us our car back in 3hrs.

I also had an experience with the mobile service to install the homelink and it was one of the best service experiences I have ever had. My experience with all Tesla service has been amazing!

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Yes, absolutely! I had minor service to adjust a rear door, rear lights, and some minor rattling early and it's been just about perfect since. Your service center will take care of you and want to make you happy.

I love getting in my Tesla, driving, and having it drive me. I think I'm spoiled and there's no way I'd go back to an ICE vehicle. My experience with Tesla has been so good that it'd be hard for me to buy anything else.

Here's the source report: The Most Satisfying Cars on the Market

I wonder how many Model Y owners that fit in… "We believe our findings—based on the experiences of actual car owners with 1- to 3-year-old vehicles—offer invaluable insight to help you make a successful match with your next new car."

So ignoring that 1-3 year-old requirement with owning a Y for less than a week, yes we would buy again.

I’m seeing model Y owner’s experiencing issue after issue. This personally worries me as I have a model Y on order and don’t have the time to deal with service issues and inoperable cars. Would you buy the car again given what you know after being an owner or would you go a different route? Open to all honesty.
My 2.5 month old Model Y is not quite as luxurious as my previous Volvo XC40 R-Design, and not quite as much fun as my 2012 MINI JCW Roadster.

But it is a great car with zero issues for me, and I would definitely buy it again (& now get the heated steering wheel!).

I have certainly had issues, although none were major. Once you look past some of the "quirks and features" it is a great car (with some interesting quirks...). That being said, I'm not sure I "will" buy again (I switch cars out every three years for business reasons). If the EV landscape remains static over the next few years, I may just buy it again. But, fortunately for EV lovers, the landscape seems to be evolving at a rapid pace. Traditional companies are introducing EV's and new EV startups are moving towards production. I'll need to re-evaluate in the next few years, but needless to say I won't be going back to an ICE vehicle. I'm excited to see where the EV trend goes.

After seven months with a Y there are some things I don't like such as the relatively stiff suspension, no easy Apple music integration, the disappearance of the map in mountain areas outside cell range, tiny screen fonts, and some clumsy controls.

Those are far outweighed by the electric efficiency, performance, handling, zero emissions, supercharging infrastructure, no need for gas and oil, the quiet at lower speeds, the quick heat from the heat pump, the comfortable seats, the smart navigation, the good sound system, the overall experience with the center screen - it works - and the plentiful storage.

Fit, finish, and paint seemed normal to me, like Toyota. Forums like this do concentrate complaints.

I'm not a big user of the standard-level autopilot and rarely even notice the glass roof. But that's just me.

I'd buy again, but I'm hoping for more EV competition and choices in the future.

I should be taking possession of our MY by end of February or early March.

What's the things to look at the most? From reading around it seems like the most important thing to look at is the panel gaps and paint scratches/chips?

Outside of panel gaps and paint scratches/chips, what else should we be looking at?

When we picked up our M3 last year, we didn't really see many imperfections and anything we did spot was fixed by Tesla Mobile Service quite promptly.

I've had some minor issues and some frustrations in connection with getting said issues fixed by Tesla; however, I'm still very pleased with the purchase. I would do it all over again if given the opportunity. At this juncture, there isn't a better EV CUV or SUV on the market IMHO.

OP, if you're hypersensitive to having to allocate time to address issues I'm not sure this is the car for you. I believe many MY owners have had to deal with some issue at some point.

On line forums tend to become bullet magnets for people positing their complaints. There is a term for this...Forum Induced Anxiety (FIA). Common for all the brands.

I just got a flyer from a local BMW dealership. They announced they will have 41 service bays. They expect to make most of their profits off servicing the cars they sell, as they really make very little on each car they sell.

When all is taken into consideration, EVs take far less servicing to keep them on the road that ICE vehicles require.

Reactions: Eric9610
VIN 32XXX

Issues:
  1. Smudges on headliner - Advisor cleaned it off with spray and a cloth
  2. Wheel liner in rear passenger well was outside the plastic instead of inside - Ranger fixed it in seconds while installing Homelink
  3. Missing plastic cover inside front camera box - Service Center installed it
My panels are perfect, my trunk hatch is properly lined up, everything is wonderful. The car is great.

I would buy another Model 3, I would buy another Model Y and I am trying to get family to buy one too.

Reactions: Eric9610
I had similar concerns as the OP. I have owned Japanese and German cars. I keep Japanese cars much longer than German. In the past 27 years I haven't have spent much time getting defects fixed. Always take care of my cars and get the serviced on a scheduled.
I have young kids, and work is very busy. I was fearful that I will have to spend time getting defects fixed. I feared service will be terrible.
I picked up my MY in early November. There were a few minor issues that were resolved in just 1 appointment. I am not driving a lot these days due to Covid. I have enjoyed owning MY so far. I like to see new updates coming down. I like how it drives. Single paddle driving, not having to lock/unlock, starting/stopping the car and charing at home. If you want an EV Teslas are hard to beat. You will have to accept that there may be fit/finish issues. Service may be slow. I have multiple cars so if it breaks down I will be fine.
Range in winters does go down significantly.

I am reading folks with heating issues. It will be tough to have heating issues in winter in MN.

I will certainly buy again. I will avoid first year model on most cars. I have 2021 MY.