Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see so many model Y owners having issues. Would you buy again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We would absolutely buy the model Y again, and probably will after we put 100k on this one. We had one small issue with a panel gap that SC will fix when we do our tire rotation later this year, but no other issues at all. The auto wipers are frustrating in the snow, so we have those turned back to manual. Glad we didnt pay for FSD, as the autopilot has had a couple interesting moments on road trips, and I just dont find it to be as cool as I thought it would be. We have done a couple trips with it and find it to be very comfortable especially with passengers in the back. We are early adopters for the model Y and knew it wouldnt be a perfect experience. However, we really support the vision of Tesla and others in their push for electric.

I would buy again only because so far I have had a good experience getting the two major issues with mine fixed (driver's side mirror and failed cabin heater). The minor cosmetic stuff was taken care of at delivery. The local service center is excellent - my understanding is that this is not always the case. I have experienced the "phantom breaking" issue, hopefully that will improve over time with software. There is one other minor annoying issue, the car doesn't always wake up right away with the phone key. Drives my wife batty enough that I will probably invest in a key fob for her, I understand they work much better. I give the car an unenthusiastic recommendation, it definitely isn't flawless. Any more major issues and I would change that to a "do not buy".

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You still don't have much choices if you want EV. For high-end EVs, you only have Model Y, Model S, IPace and Etron. Low-end, you look at Nissan Leaf, Kona EV, Chevy Bolt, I3, but those are small EVs

You missed a few other options:

- Volvo RECHARGE, available for pre-order in all EV version and delivering this spring (they also have a plug-in hybrid version of it)
- VW ID.4 -- delivering in the U.S. this summer.

Personally, if these options had been available when I ordered, I'm not sure I'd still go with the Model Y knowing what I know now.

I've already had to bring my Model Y back for about a dozen remediations. And even after all the damaged parts were replaced, mis-installed items fixed, and panel gaps and alignments were fixed to "Tesla standards"....the front and rear doors *still* aren't aligned with each other and the front door handles are *still* not perfectly flush with the doors as intended.

Also, the "software updates" to fix problems or add features is a double-edged sword with all Teslas, not the the Model Y. Sure, adding new features is nice and being able to fix software issues without bringing in the car is great. But they don't warn you that Tesla can make *significant* changes to how critical driving information is displayed that you may not like (e.g., see my posts about the crazy decision to shrink the speedometer and camouflage it next to other numerical icons). It didn't occur to me that Tesla would make major changes like that without my buy-in. The large speedo was one of the reasons I was comfortable taking a chance on a car without a physical instrument cluster right in front of me. They shouldn't be able to change stuff like that without giving us options to refuse/accept individual changes to critical displays.

EDIT: Also, I actually think some of Tesla's driver assistance features are actually inferior to other manufacturers' EVs, and in some cases, I've found that having to pay attention to them *INCREASES* my workload.

For example, Tesla "Autosteer" turns off if you make a lane change and one *has* to manually put it back on. So one could be driving for an while, make a lane change, and forget to turn it back on. Then, thinking it's still engaged because you've been using it for an hour, you drift out of your lane and get the ear-piercing alarms from the Tesla. In contrast, the lane-keeping assist feature on the Ford Fusion (and presumably the new Mustang Electric SUV) turns off momentarily if you signal a lane change, but remains on once you're established in the new lane. It's night and day for me, with Ford winning hands-down.

Now some would say, "okay, Bill, so go buy the Teslafull-self driving package for another $10K which includes automatic lane changes once you've signaled or accepted them." Great, except A) that's another $10K, and B) that system *forces* the entire lane change to be handled by the Tesla once you've signaled intent or accepted the car's recommended change on Auto-Nav. You have to let the car handle the entire thing, which I find to actually be more stressful.

Similar comparisons can be made between the Teslas and the Volvo RECHARGE and Jaguar I-PACE EV. I just find the competitors' systems far more intuitive and less stressful. Not to mention that the Tesla forces you to shake the steering wheel every minute to keep Autosteer on...the Ford doesn't. Lane keeping assistance stays on as long as you leave it on. And the driver alertness warnings aren't as loud and frequent in the Ford.

Asides: For the doors, I'm taking it to an expensive independent body shop near me because I've got no confidence Tesla's shop can even fix the doors properly. Not to mention the Tysons Corner, VA location is so nuts and tightly packed that the car got a door ding from someone before I even saw it. I paid a paintless dent removal guy $150 to take it out because the Tysons manager had told me they would not fix any paint or body damage, and that my only option was to refuse delivery. :mad:

My wife ordered the Volvo Recharge all-electric, picking it up in March or April, I think. We're going to drive both and compare.

Honestly, I like the Model Y a lot, but the production line is just *not* tuned at all. As Sandy Monro says, "the fit and finish issues on the Teslas are what one would expect on a 1990's Kia." If it were a cheap, $30K electric car, maybe I'd live with doors being misaligned...but a $55K car? I mean...

Last edited:
No issues since taking delivery of my Model Y Performance in November. Having mobile service come out to install my tow hitch rather than having to drop it off at a service center impressed me even more.

If I find myself in the market for another EV, a Tesla will definitely remain on my list of EVs to consider.

Echoing the sentiments regarding the buffeting/booming resonance issues. Picked ours up on friday and two things immediately stuck out. 1. The AC system is pathetic in the Y compared to the 3. Cannot point the vents to the upper part of the cabin like the 3, the flow of the vents are anemic, and the air doesn't come out cold at all, and 2. the buffeting/pressure/resonance is unbearable. Thought maybe windows were open, but nope.

Can't believe no one at Tesla caught these issues beforehand. I'm a super tesla bull and love everything about the company but the Y issues are crazy...the buffeting issues have been around for the Model S, and they still can't get these issues resolved with the Y? I'm beginning to miss my truck that we traded in. ugh...

I actually had this ac vent problem with my y. I had my driver side air flow pointed max up and split in half. The left half you could feel the air going up but not so high. The right half would only blow down towards the gear shift stalk. Brought it to service a few days ago and got the car back and I had air blowing up to my face. Not sure what they did because my service note only says they removed and replaced the vent and couldn’t replicate the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: mickificki
I’m seeing model Y owner’s experiencing issue after issue. This personally worries me as I have a model Y on order and don’t have the time to deal with service issues and inoperable cars. Would you buy the car again given what you know after being an owner or would you go a different route? Open to all honesty.

Here's my view: it's the Internet. If you look for complaints, you'll find them, on any possible topic you can imagine. That said, I'm not discounting that people have issues with their cars; but bear in mind there are many that do not. I would like to see some balance to positive and negative stories about our cars. So, nothing to be nervous about. Don't not get one because of the "complaints"...that will be true of any car. I got mine last July and I haven't looked back...it's been nearly flawless and I couldn't be happier.

Minor issues that were corrected by mobile service a week after delivery. The MY is the most enjoyable car I've owned in over 30 years. No doubt I'd buy it again.

The slower than expected FSD feature rollout is a bit disappointing, so while I'd probably pay the $7k FSD upgrade again, I'm not sure I'd pay today's $10k price. The $2k AB is quite worth it to me, as we're the TO power frunk and Hansshow kick sensor.

how difficult is the kick sensor installation

I haven’t owned it long, but I I haven’t had any issues at all, driving it in the snow, paint isn’t chipping from salt, it hasn’t burned down my house. The car is so much fun, so quiet, so comfortable, whimsical, and entertaining more so than any other car I’ve owned. If we’re going to let issues stop us from ever buying one of the most complicated pieces of consumer equipment on earth, I could never own another Ford (my transmission dead at 33k miles on a Taurus), Infiniti (radiator burst at 18k miles), or Ram (1500 backup camera fritzing at 38k Miles), Toyota (Hybrid Camry scared the crap out of me by just shutting down going 40 mph, no brakes, no power steering at 128k miles). All purchased new and serviced at spec. I would buy every one of those cars again if I had it to do over except maybe the Ford, I really did like but should have bought a mustang. It is awesome. Stop worrying, start enjoying what is surely a successful life if you can afford one of these things.

Late Oct Build- 2021 model (just missed the double layer glass by 1K vehicles, no auto dark side mirrors)... zero issued from day 1.

To put our money where our mouth is as they say... we (my daughter) ordered a refreshed Model 3 yesterday....:)

Nope, I would have stuck with my Model 3 until a proper competitor to Tesla emerged (fingers crossed for Lucid).

One of the largest companies (by market cap) in the world acting like it’s a startup, and the vehicle quality reflects that.

Of course there will be something better if you wait. I was supposed to have a flying car by now but it hasn’t materialized in the market in my price range :)

Here's my view: it's the Internet. If you look for complaints, you'll find them, on any possible topic you can imagine. That said, I'm not discounting that people have issues with their cars; but bear in mind there are many that do not. I would like to see some balance to positive and negative stories about our cars. So, nothing to be nervous about. Don't not get one because of the "complaints"...that will be true of any car. I got mine last July and I haven't looked back...it's been nearly flawless and I couldn't be happier.

The internet certainly amplifies complaints. Also a lot of sore asses around who simply hate Tesla for whatever reason. A bit like Apple haters, usually completely irrational. Then there are those types who just like to complain about literally everything. Internet forums attract them like flies to poop. Finally you get the odd poor soul who genuinely had a really poor experience - the opposite of a lottery winner. It's a numbers game and once the numbers get relatively large, *sugar* inevitably happens.

Tesla are not perfect cars. There are no perfect cars. But I think it is fair to say that Tesla build quality control is below industry average. But most common Tesla issues are cosmetic and the overall products are class leading all the way. There's a reason why every new EV is automatically compared against Tesla. Tesla is THE EV benchmark they are all aiming to beat. We own a MX and M3 and once the MY arrives in the UK I'm very likely to buy one.