Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should by from private seller (not dealer) or Tesla official website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone,

I have seen 2016 model S or X around 90D for months.
I really want some advice, either I should buy from private sellers or from the official website. At beginning, I expected private seller's price may be cheaper, but actually they seem like pretty similar.
So, which one would you suggest?

Thank you

Go with a private seller. Most should be at least 10% cheaper. Here is what I see from Tesla inventory on EV-CPO for the Model S...

upload_2019-6-15_5-57-58.png

...those are all pre-facelift. And here is the most recent S90D on the TMC For Sale pages: a facelift with a likely negotiable price...

2016.5 S 90D White with chrome delete $47500

10% cheaper

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Private or dealer does not matter, what matters is car history and warranty.

When buying a low vin X you will want to see if the windshield has been replace, this is very important. Also check on door repairs and the drive shaft vibration. With an S it's all simple stuff.

Any Tesla you buy should have warranty and rule of thumb is get the newest you can afford.

Buying from private party or dealer will make you become a Tesla’s second class customer (might be third class - after model s/x owners).
Every times I had an issue with promotion, inquiries. They told me that I didn’t buy the car directly from them. Wasted more more times to deal with these problems.

Private or dealer does not matter, what matters is car history and warranty.

When buying a low vin X you will want to see if the windshield has been replace, this is very important. Also check on door repairs and the drive shaft vibration. With an S it's all simple stuff.

Any Tesla you buy should have warranty and rule of thumb is get the newest you can afford.
what problems with the windshield on MX ? can u clarify?

Thanks, guys, but it seems like there isn't any conclusion yet.
I know I'm supposed to pick the facelift one among 2016's, I remember people told me their batteries are better or some-kind.
I don't think this is correct, there has been a bunch of owners of 90's having battery degradation issues, I think most informed buyers would prefer an 85 or a 100. I also think that there was/is a lot of buyers who stretched themselves financially to own a an S and the warranty was/is really important to them. There is so much less on a S series that can go wrong as opposed to a S class Merc or a 7 Series BMW. With all of these cars the biggest cost is depreciation and there the S has taken a huge hit over the last 12- 18 months. For a real bargain you can buy a really good well optioned P85D now for $55K (new $120K plus) which is nearly as quick as a new P100D (3.00 vs 3.05sec 0-60mph) and if it has the rare Exec rear seating its an even more luxurious drive.

Reactions: neroden
And also I'm quite interested why people sell their X between 30k-40k mileage according from EV-CPO?
or it's just a coincidence?

I cannot speak for other X owners but I sell mine to upgrade. I love the X, it's an amazing vehicle. Why better than the S IMO.

And like I said before, it doesn't matter who/where you buy from just check the car out and try to get as much warranty and the newest car as you can.

Last edited: