Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should by from private seller (not dealer) or Tesla official website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this is correct, there has been a bunch of owners of 90's having battery degradation issues, I think most informed buyers would prefer an 85 or a 100. I also think that there was/is a lot of buyers who stretched themselves financially to own a an S and the warranty was/is really important to them. There is so much less on a S series that can go wrong as opposed to a S class Merc or a 7 Series BMW. With all of these cars the biggest cost is depreciation and there the S has taken a huge hit over the last 12- 18 months. For a real bargain you can buy a really good well optioned P85D now for $55K (new $120K plus) which is nearly as quick as a new P100D (3.00 vs 3.05sec 0-60mph) and if it has the rare Exec rear seating its an even more luxurious drive.

Thank you Markly, I will add 85 and 100 on my list now. Good info.

Certified Pre-Owned - FYI - Tesla sells used cars that go through some top secret check list which might include such things as "Do we have their money yet?" and "How about now ?"

Certified Pre-Owned is generally regarded as when the dealer takes the best of the best lease returns and trade ins and rigorously checks them. They generally come with an enhanced warranty. Tesla ****used*** to have a CPO process, but now sells used cars, but they do have either 2 year /100k warranty or 4 yr /50k warranty, which is something a private seller won't be able to do. You can buy a used private sale car with remaining warranty though.

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Private party
The fact that some owners are delusional is a ridiculous reason for dismissing all private party sales.
I wouldn't even consider dealing with Tesla at this time, they are completely overwhelmed.

But sadly for now this is true and it's a stupid cycle feeding itself. Tesla sells less and less used cars - private owners think they all have some sort of unicorn (I hate this term so much) and keep the prices at completely unreasonable levels.

Unless somehow Tesla gets their act together with the pre-owned sales, this isn't going to get better soon.

To give you an idea, there are some good private party deals to be have. I have a 2015 S P85D+ with 52k miles on it, yet I still have 2 more years and 23k miles under my CPO warranty.

Today I was offered $37,800 for it from Tesla on trade (I was considering upgrading to a Raven)

That price is insane low, so if I really wanted to sell (which I dont) you good get a decent deal directly from me

Reactions: neroden
I just bought a 2015 P85D from Tesla and I could not be happier with the car and the experience. 9 business days from deposit to delivery. Car was shipped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh. I actually did not know it shipped it was a bit of a surprise they called to say it was ready for pick-up. Car and detailing was above what I expected. Brand new 21" tires when I picked it up.
I shopped dealer and private party and have to say I think Tesla was the best value including 4 year warranty. Prices were nearly the same but buying from a dealer meant no warranty and no ability to buy extended from Tesla.

STOP THE MISINFORMATION.
You buy from a dealer, you get no warranty extension option, which will also will decrease your resale value down the road.
You buy from Tesla or private party that was never in dealer hands, you can extend warranty.

Re. second class customer comment above, I am pleased to report getting top tier treatment ongoing
four years now from the Columbus SC as a private party buyer.

Unless someone is selling a CPO car.
To be clear I bought my nP85D from a private party that had remaining CPO warranty.

But why would someone by the Model X in the link posted up above by Model B
FOR SALE: 2018 Tesla Model X 100D | eBay which only has 3 years (or less) or 45k miles on the original warranty?

IF
for the about the same price they can get a 2016 Model X P100DL with 35k miles?
2016 Model X | Tesla getting a full 4 year and 50k more mile warranty

I definitely agree that buying private party, especially from someone on here, is the way to go, but there are exceptions.

To be clear I bought my nP85D from a private party that had remaining CPO warranty.

But why would someone by the Model X in the link posted up above by Model B
FOR SALE: 2018 Tesla Model X 100D | eBay which only has 3 years (or less) or 45k miles on the original warranty?

IF
for the about the same price they can get a 2016 Model X P100DL with 35k miles?
2016 Model X | Tesla getting a full 4 year and 50k more mile warranty

I definitely agree that buying private party, especially from someone on here, is the way to go, but there are exceptions.

Are you asking me why someone should buy my car instead of an older CPO car?

Well it's personal preference. I have owned two 2016 X's and would never go back no matter how many options, warranty or low price. They can have too many issues and Tesla has pretty much stopped fixing the big issues like windshield and shudder issues. In MY opinion owning 12+ Tesla's I have learned the hard way that newer is better.

Last edited:
Just bought a 2015 85d in March through Tesla used direct. Glad I did as I've been in the service 5 times since 4/2019.
1. Rattles, scratch on delivery, various other recalls (shouldn't they have addressed this before delivering the car?
2. Literally driving out at picking up the car, AP hardware failed
3. Right front door handle replaced and rear left seal replaced
3a. Brought in because window switches glitches sometimes. Could not replicate so they just recalibrated
4. Right Suspension snapped driving down to San Diego. Ran over a little debris somewhere in the night. Wheel didn't bend, tire didn't pop (golf size bubble around wheel)
5. Dropped off today too fix the fender alignment that misaligned when the suspension dropped on me while exiting freeway. Also re looking into window glitch issue (Rep tried to blame tinted windows. Then I said, Tesla sold me the car with the rear windows tinted.. silence)

So far 3 months of ownership at 33kmiles

I just recently purchased a 2015 S85D (loaded with options) from a dealer. It was priced very competitively. Tesla Service Center tech told me that I "did good" with my purchase. There was no "mechanical inspection" by the dealer. It was strictly an "As-Is. Where-Is" sale. Car was a "one owner" vehicle, traded in and the dealer purchased it from Mannheim Auctions. This dealer does the "least" to prep a car other than a running it through the local car wash. Car was filthy, inside and out, when I arrived after a 3 hr. drive.

Having spent 110,000 miles behind the wheel of my old S85, I don't consider myself an expert. I have been a "car guy" all of my driving life and owned a import auto repair shop back in the 90's. During the test drive everything functioned as expected and the state-of-charge was 253 miles of range.

Only issues at this point were the left scroll wheel was pushed-in and a few paint chips in the hood (normal). The scroll wheel I can fix. I can fill in the paint chips. All charging accessories with included and a rear seat armrest. No interior damage!

The 3 hr. drive home is uneventful and the autopilot worked great! That is a real game changer when it comes to long trips. As I turn the corner 3 blocks from my house I am now driving down a pot hole ridden, badly repaired stretch of typical Toledo Ohio city street. That is when the suspension sounds like it is barely secured to the frame of the car.

The next day my first stop is to the local Service Center and the diagnosis is both front and rear suspension aft arms need replacement, an upper control arm and a 4 wheel alignment. Cars is like new again. I am still ahead on the deal.

Buying a used Tesla is the same as buying any used car. Do your homework, know what to look for that are abnormal signs of wear. Have a mechanic look it over if possible. If the dealer won't offer any kind of warranty, even 30 days, then walk away. There are hundreds of Tesla Model S's out there for sale. I would buy from a private party and from someone that pampered their car. You will pay a premium in that situation.

Tesla's super crazy about their used sales -- they don't let you see the car before purchase and they make you put down a nonrefundable deposit.

Therefore, buy private party. So you can check the car out.

It can be tedious to get Tesla to admit that you own the car, but once you get through that process, they'll treat you just fine.

i vote for private party for a couple reasons... I bought mine when it was 2 years old and immediately bought the extended warranty... this gave me 6 years of coverage which is technically more than a CPO would give me for more money. Also in some states, Like Nevada and Arizona there is no sales tax on private party sales... So this also saved me about 6-7K in taxes,,,so not only did i get a great deal from the previous owner (who was a rare person who was not delusional about the value of his car) but i saved on taxes and for 4K got the extended warranty... in short the best of all worlds as far as I am concerned. The key is to just make sure that the car has never gone through a 3rd party dealership and you are good to go.... Back then only the Original owner could buy the extended warranty (this has changed) so i had him buy the warranty before i took possession of the car and built it into the sale price...

If you can find the right private owner it is a better way to go in my opinion, Even more so now that the CPOs don't have the extensive refurbishment program that they had a couple years ago..

If i was in the market today I would be looking for a private sales of a late late 2016 so i could get the unlimited supercharging and face lift (I believe) and I would take the 7K i would save on taxes and buy the extended warranty all over again... this also would be a good selling point when it is time to pass it along to the next person...

i vote for private party for a couple reasons... I bought mine when it was 2 years old and immediately bought the extended warranty... this gave me 6 years of coverage which is technically more than a CPO would give me for more money. Also in some states, Like Nevada and Arizona there is no sales tax on private party sales... So this also saved me about 6-7K in taxes,,,so not only did i get a great deal from the previous owner (who was a rare person who was not delusional about the value of his car) but i saved on taxes and for 4K got the extended warranty... in short the best of all worlds as far as I am concerned. The key is to just make sure that the car has never gone through a 3rd party dealership and you are good to go.... Back then only the Original owner could buy the extended warranty (this has changed) so i had him buy the warranty before i took possession of the car and built it into the sale price...

If you can find the right private owner it is a better way to go in my opinion, Even more so now that the CPOs don't have the extensive refurbishment program that they had a couple years ago..

If i was in the market today I would be looking for a private sales of a late late 2016 so i could get the unlimited supercharging and face lift (I believe) and I would take the 7K i would save on taxes and buy the extended warranty all over again... this also would be a good selling point when it is time to pass it along to the next person...
Unfortunately, very few states allow you to avoid sales tax on private party. 90% of states will make you repay sales tax every single time it is sold. But most states only require you pay tax on the difference if you trade in (only 7 states dont allow reduced tax for trade ins). So buy a Tesla for 80k, trade in a car for 50k, only pay tax on 30k. Usually you can sell cars for more private party than trade in, but the tax break and less stress can make it a nice advantage.

Neither private party nor Tesla include cosmetic restoration, so it is a wash now.

Personally I value the Tesla cpo 4y/50k warranty at about 4k, because that is about what a similar 3rd party warranty would cost. So as long as private party is 4k less than the price on ev-cpo.com then the deals are equivalent to me.