Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should've rejected it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of the car on Friday, and I thought I had a good understanding of what I needed to look for etc. So we looked it over, and we thought it was ok, but I guess we were just too naive. On the drive home, I noticed the the steering wheel was off-center. Then when we got home I started to check closer and I started finding all sort of issues. Door panels not aligning, trunk not aligning, some of the plastic rivets on the rear bumper where not seated all the way. Also there is a deep scratch on the front bumper that we had not noticed.

In addition the trunk and the door hinges had marks as if they were hit by a metal which makes me think that they had already tried to fix it at some point. (the bolts had stripped paint).

It could be that the car was already rejected by someone else, or damaged during transport, or who knows what.

Are the above things fixable and will I be able to forget about this and enjoy the car?

Is there any change that I could get a replacement or I have just been had?

I had the same steering wheel off center issue when I took delivery. all these are fixable through Tesla. I actually took it to a third party to fix steering wheel and got reimbursed by Tesla. I would not sweat it and just report the issues you think need attention and have Tesla address them.

Reactions: Ihvetriedthem
This is what I am afraid of…I live over 100 miles from my delivery center.
Tesla knows the milage of your car. Schedule a service through the app and take pictures of all problems you can find. If the SC asks you to bring the car, call them and talk about the milage due to the distance to the SC. By the way, the milage on my car is 464 and the technician that came today fixed everything for free.

I took delivery of the car on Friday, and I thought I had a good understanding of what I needed to look for etc. So we looked it over, and we thought it was ok, but I guess we were just too naive. On the drive home, I noticed the the steering wheel was off-center. Then when we got home I started to check closer and I started finding all sort of issues. Door panels not aligning, trunk not aligning, some of the plastic rivets on the rear bumper where not seated all the way. Also there is a deep scratch on the front bumper that we had not noticed.

In addition the trunk and the door hinges had marks as if they were hit by a metal which makes me think that they had already tried to fix it at some point. (the bolts had stripped paint).

It could be that the car was already rejected by someone else, or damaged during transport, or who knows what.

Are the above things fixable and will I be able to forget about this and enjoy the car?

Is there any change that I could get a replacement or I have just been had?
This is my biggest fear I take delivery in a few weeks. Ugh.

The learning for me from the OP's post is that I will plan to pick my car in the morning, and keep plenty of time for a thorough inspection. Taking delivery in the night would not be prudent with the poor initial build quality of Tesla's. I am surprised that even after these many years the continue to have these quality issues not being caught at the Tesla factory. Once competition catches up, Tesla will be forced to provide same quality as Lexus or Audi or Toyota.

Reactions: Tararua and MY-user