Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I sold my Tesla Model Y today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
honda was likely marked up to make the offer on the MY look awesome, just a guess
Yep. Dealers have a lot of ways to make money in this market. Adjustment to price, adding in extras and also inflating those prices, warranties, etc.. When they sell that Y for a loss the sales person can show the next buyer is getting a good deal because they paid $xxk for it. Ive bought two new cars in the last 12 months that were not tesla and shopped around for more. Many dealers are scam artists.

Dont be an ass. People have their own preferences in cars.
Dont be an ass. People have their own preferences in cars.

Correct. And I can state MY preference as well. I simply said "no, thank you", as in not something I would do, from a preference standpoint to a value standpoint.

However, this is something I could see doing from a monetary standpoint. If one got in a little over their head financially with the Tesla, and could take advantage of the high Tesla value to get out from under the payment.

Not tying to say that's the case here, just an observation.

But I'll say it again. Not trying to be an "ass"...but I wouldn't trade my Tesla for an Insight under any circumstance. Even if I got an exceptional deal, and no longer had a car payment.

I traded into a local Honda dealer and bought a 2022 Honda Insight (hybrid)

Did you know Honda just discontinued the Insight again? That is the vehicle I traded in for my Tesla!

It was easy on gas. The engine is underpowered, and it’s constantly revved up to ridiculous RPM to get any power from it. The engine drones on and on. It sits really low to the ground, has less rear legroom, and also has limited storage capacity. Infotainment was lackluster. Android Auto could be a bit laggy. Lack of blind spot monitoring was a little frustrating, but Honda Sensing system was otherwise great. The vehicle officially didn’t support towing, although a Civic trailer hitch would work on the car. Definitely won’t be towing a boat with this car, but it can haul some bikes around.

The Insight kinda crowded the sedan market at Honda. With the Accord Hybrid being slightly more expensive, but much better ride quality and platform. The Civic used to not be offered in a hybrid, and the Insight was based on the Civic platform. Now the updated Civic will have a larger engine (1.8L vs. 1.4L in the Insight), and have a hybrid option. Supposedly the 1.8L engine was meant to address a lot of the (lack of) performance and noise that the 1.4L had.

I understand the purchase. But I would struggle to downgrade, and live with it (tolerate it).

Given this scenario; Did you get the Insight for a deal? Any reason you didn’t go for the new Civic Hybrid, or Accord Hybrid? I had managed to get a Insight Touring edition for under 30k. But now that the Insight has a (arguably better, updated model) similar priced replacement; it is an interesting choice. If dealers were parting with Insight Touring models for 25k, that would be an easy choice.

Fun fact: Model Y Performance was cheaper to insure than the Honda Insight Touring edition.

You got more for your trade in, but paid more for the Insight. In the end it’s a wash, you didn’t get as good of a deal as you think. Car dealerships are in the business to make money and by giving you more for your trade in and charging more for your new car, they mentally make you think you’re getting a deal.
If you got $66k and didn’t need a new car, than that would have been a good deal. But I have a feeling the dealership wouldn’t have bought it from you for $66k without you buying a marked up car in return.

You got more for your trade in, but paid more for the Insight. In the end it’s a wash, you didn’t get as good of a deal as you think. Car dealerships are in the business to make money and by giving you more for your trade in and charging more for your new car, they mentally make you think you’re getting a deal.
If you got $66k and didn’t need a new car, than that would have been a good deal. But I have a feeling the dealership wouldn’t have bought it from you for $66k without you buying a marked up car in return.
Exactly, without knowing the price paid for insight can’t really judge the deal.

$28k OTD is basically paying MSRP for the Insight, so I don’t consider that having much extra markup. I still think OP got a pretty good deal overall by clearing debt, getting a new car, with surplus cash. If it accomplishes all your goals, bravo!

That said, I personally wouldn’t be able to go from our LR Y down to an Insight. Heck, I can’t go back to flagship luxury sedans after our Model S and now Y. I take that back, if I were in a financial situation where I needed to make sacrifices to benefit my family then sure, I can go backwards in car happiness. But if I had the choice then that would be a hard no thank you. We love our Y and the $5K a year gas savings makes it even sweeter. Of course, against an Insight the gas savings wouldn’t be as big as what we’re seeing now but it still adds up. Everyone is free to drive whatever makes them happy. :)

I actually discussed this with the wife a month ago. Would she be willing to sell our 2021 Y, pay off the loan, with a few thousand extra? She said, “definitely not”, because the only other car she’d want is another Y and it’s not worth waiting 9-12 months and sinking money back into gas each month while we wait for delivery.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rqcg and WhiteWi