Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I sprayed my Model 3 with a custom blue Liquid Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car looks gorgeous. I ordered the rim kit from Dip your Car a few days ago, and will use that as a foray into color modification. Wish I had the balls to do the entire car. I ordered standard black, thinking I could always change the color with a dip or wrap. Cost and flexibility of the dip is very attractive, but my guess is there is a certain base skill set that is needed, and I am not confident that I have that skill set.

Reactions: SethCat
That's a really nice blue. I'm very impressed with how it came out with doing it yourself. The pricing is super-cheap as well, which considering it took you 3 days or so, you could change your car colour every year if you got bored.

Good job!

how does this hold up to washing the car, etc, does it rub off? what is the expected time for this to last? how do you get it off, say to change colors?
really cool DIY, did you have previous experience painting anything?

how does this hold up to washing the car, etc, does it rub off? what is the expected time for this to last? how do you get it off, say to change colors?

Looks good, wondering how the seems work (such as between bumper and quarter panel?) And if you also spray the areas behind door panels or the inside of trunk or frunk lid? Would love to see some photos.

Hey OP, great job!! I'm also wondering the same things as @CUBldr97 and @allaw

I didn't have previous experience painting in this way (with a large spray gun). It holds up very well to washing and is very durable. The key is spraying it on the recommended amount so that it's thick. It'd take a lot of scrubbing with a sharp tool to get it off during washing. To remove it though, you just find an edge on the car and work it a little to lift the dip and then peel the whole thing away. There's a lot of youtube videos if you look up "removing plastidip".

Last edited:
Looks good, wondering how the seems work (such as between bumper and quarter panel?) And if you also spray the areas behind door panels or the inside of trunk or frunk lid? Would love to see some photos.

I didn't spray the door panels. You can, but it's significantly more work since you have to mask off the door parts and whatnot. I don't have photos on me right now, but the transition from Blue to Midnight Silver Metallic (the original color) looks pretty cool. If the car were originally red or blue, it probably wouldn't look as nice. With that said, very few people see it with the doors or hood open, so I'm personally not concerned with that.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a little crazy, but I thought I'd share anyway for those that may be interested.
Last night I finished up my first liquid wrap attempt on my Model 3. If you're unfamiliar, liquid wrap (ie. plastidip, proline, autoflex, raail, etc) is a spray-on wrap that can be removed (similar to a vinyl wrap). You can go to a professional installer or do it yourself (depending on the type you choose). Depending on how well it's done, it can look horrible or amazing (as good as vinyl or OEM paint).

View attachment 321916

I used DipYourCar.com "Proline" Matte liquid wrap (which is a medium skilled DIY level spray wrap) to do my car in a custom matte blue color with matte black accents. The car is originally Midnight Metallic Silver. The overall cost of the "paint" was about $400 and the sprayer system was about $400. After some miscellaneous items (ie. tape, cleaning supplies, etc) the cost was probably around $900 and 2.5 days of work. The cost to change the color in the future would be around $400-$450.

View attachment 321917

I had a few screw-ups on the chrome and mirrors (minor runs and lifting when removing tape) so I'm working on removing the wrap on the chrome and doing it in vinyl instead for better durability. Not reflected in the photos, but I've already re-wrapped the door handles and one mirror cap in 3M satin black vinyl and hope to complete the rest in the coming weeks.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

View attachment 321916 View attachment 321917 View attachment 321918 View attachment 321919 View attachment 321920 View attachment 321921 View attachment 321922 View attachment 321923 View attachment 321924 View attachment 321925

P.S. - I was too excited to take a picture that I forgot to peel the wrap from the fog lights. I'll be doing that soon. :)

Awesome job! I'm leaning towards having an installer do either Raail or Autoflex for the full car. However, I'd like to try and do the rims myself. I'll probably go with vinyl wrap for the chrome delete...plastidip would be a lot cheaper tho if it holds well.

Awesome job! I'm leaning towards having an installer do either Raail or Autoflex for the full car. However, I'd like to try and do the rims myself. I'll probably go with vinyl wrap for the chrome delete...plastidip would be a lot cheaper tho if it holds well.

I'm currently re-doing the chrome in vinyl for better durability (and since I didn't spray the chrome great). It's doable if you have the patience. There's some chrome delete threads here that give good info. Autoflex will be a lot better than Raail if you can do it.