Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I stopped by a gas station to put air in my Tesla's tires yesterday, and I. . . "

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. . . thank the Gods I don't have to come here anymore once a week and stand in an oil spot holding a grimey handle breathing gas vapers as fuel that didn't leak out of the underground rusty tank is pumped into my tank so it can slosh around behind my backseat, while watching the dollars add up on the pump.

I hope I live long enough to see them all bulldozed.

There is no reason to ever stop by a gas station to put air in my Tesla's tires. I bought a small portable air compressor and use that to maintain the tires' air pressure, at home or on the road.

good call. I have a small compressor. .. and have 5 licensed drivers who are dependents 21 and under. . . I leave the compressor in one of the Honda CRVs they share, since they have spares and would need to inflate a spare when they mount it. . .

... and, believe it or not, the air is free at my nearest gas station, so no hassles.

. . . felt like I had walked into the ladies' restroom -- a place I knew I didn't belong."

Seriously felt strangely out of place.

Other sentiments?

...even more so when on a road trip you pull into a gas station to use their squeegee - you usually need to pull right up beside the pumps to do that. (wish: more Superchargers should have a bucket/squeegee handy for use while charging)

and yes, I also have a 12V compressor in my frunk, but it's often convenient on the way home to pop into the neighbourhood gas station to use their (free) air - though around here it's starting to get tougher to find gas stations in the city, they keep closing them to sell the expensive land to condo developers!

I once washed my windows, while on a trip, at the gas pump. I did buy a DQ in the store, so I felt OK about it as a customer.

For air, I usually use the compressor that is part of the tire sealant kit. You can just use the pump without the sealant! Plug the power into the cig lighter outlet.

If I only need 1-2 psi, I use a floor-stand bike pump. It's about 12 strokes per psi.

I agree it is strange. I had to pull in to a highway rest stop gas station a year or so ago to buy Windshield Washer anti-freeze as it was one of those sloppy days when you are using gallons of the stuff and I had run out. Every once in a while I will go to the gas station to use the no-touch drive through car wash - it is a fun outing for my daughter and I.

I keep a small compressor and squeegee in the frunk. I'm sure the gas stations don't care, but I do feel a little bad using their stuff when I don't give them any money. Tangentially, right after I bought my Leaf I stopped in at the local station to grab some eggs and my little one proudly told the cashier that we now had an electric car. Afterwords she thought it over and was worried that the station worker might have been hurt. :)

Reactions: Shock-On-T
...even more so when on a road trip you pull into a gas station to use their squeegee - you usually need to pull right up beside the pumps to do that. (wish: more Superchargers should have a bucket/squeegee handy for use while charging)

and yes, I also have a 12V compressor in my frunk, but it's often convenient on the way home to pop into the neighbourhood gas station to use their (free) air - though around here it's starting to get tougher to find gas stations in the city, they keep closing them to sell the expensive land to condo developers!

Amazed you have stations with free air. Around here (Boston area), all the ones I know of have charged ($1.00 for so many minutes) for years....

. . . felt like I had walked into the ladies' restroom -- a place I knew I didn't belong."

Seriously felt strangely out of place.

Other sentiments?
I love it!!!! :D
I haven't gotten mine yet (just ordered my Model S last week) but I am looking forward to passing by the gas stations even though my husband has an Expedition and a new F150, so HE will be the only one going to the gas station. I waved at the gas pumps as I drove past the ones near my home and thought, "Not much longer!" I cannot wait!

Reactions: GSP and gregoryg
My sentiment is that supercharger stations have a ways to go before they replace the need for gas stations, even for EVs, or you wouldn't have been there,
But....those are things a lot of us can do at home. Can't pump gas at home though and that's the main reason the gas stations are there and thankfully there is NO NEED to stop unless you are on a road trip and need to air up your tires. I imagine it's fun to drive up to a gas pump and watch others' reactions. When I was first married 44 years ago, we have a Volvo 240DL and one time I pulled up to the gas pumps to fuel up and a man came over to me and said, "Young lady, you are supposed to be putting Diesel fuel in that car!" I looked at him, shook my head and told him, "No. This is a gasoline car." Then has asked me what the "DL" stood for and I just looked at him and said,
"DE- LUXE." He walked away shaking his head. I've since had two diesel Mercedes (in the 1980s and 1990s) and NEVER again. No more gasoline cars for me either! YAY!!

believe it or not, the air is free at my nearest gas station, so no hassles.

In Cali there is a law stating air must be free to paying customers. Even if the air pump is coin operated just walk inside and ask them to turn it on. They usually just comply regardless if you're actually buying anything.

The only time my S has been to the gas station was for air within the first month of ownership...and really felt out of place there as well. Somehow all tires got down to around 35psi. I have the Tesla portable air compressor on order now.