Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I struggle to understand cars like this in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW X7, Dark Shadow Special Edition...

- £115k
- 4.4l V8
- Less than 20mpg in the real world

It's a monster behemoth with appalling environmental impact. Is there a climate emergency at all?

db08b7ca428503297bc1736cfae03e683.jpg

BMW announces exclusive X7 Dark Shadow Edition

I actually really like these crazy SUVs, I remember when EVO took the first gen Cayenne Turbo around a track and was shocked it got really close to the lap time set by a 911. They really are a marvel of engineering, though actually a Model S is probably heavier than a first given Cayenne.

RR SVRs also have a road presence like nothing else, BUT sub 20mpg running costs means you need to insane to run one as your daily driver, which is what SUVs are designed to do.

EVs actually make SUVs so much more justifiable, our X has all in running costs of 3p per mile including tyres/fuel. I don't really buy the environmental benefits of EVs, but I am very happy with cheap running costs.

It just goes to show how these big corporations (or more specifically, the people in charge of them) do not give one iota about anything other than their personal wealth. They have no moral compass, the only thing that drives them is greed. They are, without doubt, bad people. The only thing that will control these awful people is the law. A company like Tesla, who's very existence is to promote sustainable technology, are few and far between and usually much smaller and less successful.

Aww, come on, credit where it’s due and all that.

BMW did some pioneering work on EV technology and battery propulsion way back when the original Tesla (Nikola) was still around. They also worked with their customer to drive down the final cost, speed and streamline production, and increase effective range. All challenges the current Tesla company is still battling with.

Ok, so the customer was one A. Hitler, there was an awful lot of IP theft (or to be more accurate, the theft of entire businesses), a fair bit of slave labour, and some dubious staff relations policies, but there’s no denying the U-Boat propulsion systems were very effective.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pdk42
We are all just pawns in the hands of capitalism! While someone will buy and corporates strike hidden deals, these bohemoths will keep appearing.

Until the day government mandates that we all get our transport in the same form and also bans hobby interests, there will (should?) be neich market products that exist for the pleasure of ownership.

Environmental awareness is still woeful and the assumption for the most part is that life should carry on as normal because that's what we are entitled to.

With Germany having so much solar PV, I don't understand why Ev's aren't pretty much the option of choice.

• Disagree
Reactions: Neilio
Picture for the Model 3 isn't quite as good as the Leaf, but still less than half an ICE car. We also need to look at air quality too where all the latest evidence shows that NOx and diesel particulates are a serious public health issue.

upload_2020-8-11_13-48-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-11_13-47-8.png
    upload_2020-8-11_13-47-8.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: JupiterMan
I guess France is low due to high proportion of nuclear electricity. Norway iirc has high proportion renewable generation. If that's the case, hard to say France has such low fuel cycle 'emissions' if you consider broader environmental picture than CO2.

I guess France is low due to high proportion of nuclear electricity. Norway iirc has high proportion renewable generation. If that's the case, hard to say France has such low fuel cycle 'emissions' if you consider broader environmental picture than CO2.
Yes, it's nuclear. The report is about carbon impact so nuclear is not considered an environmental risk (which arguably it isn't). So far as climate change is concerned, nuclear power is a positive element given the carbon emissions it replaces.

Yes, it's nuclear. The report is about carbon impact so nuclear is not considered an environmental risk (which arguably it isn't). So far as climate change is concerned, nuclear power is a positive element given the carbon emissions it replaces.

Yes, agreed relating to carbon cycle. I wonder why Germany is relatively high? I've done no research, but got the impression they were well off for renewables, especially solar PV.

IIRC when Germany got rid of its nuclear production, it relied a lot on coal, which is still unfortunately the source of a large percentage of its electricity generation (44.3% in 2015).

Electricity production from coal sources (% of total) | Data
Yes, Germany's decision to pull back from nuclear was a backward step so far as CO2 is concerned. Of course, China and the US are the big two, together making up almost half of the world's CO2 output. Germany accounts for just over 2%. The UK is about 1%.

What surprises me is how many new petrol stations I see being built. At the very least I would expect any now to include charging Infrastructure but the last couple I saw had none. Based on the govt time table for electrification it won't be that long before closures start surely?

As has been said the depreciation will be amazing and in 5 years time I know about 3 people who will want to buy this as a complete steal and be like a kid at christmas... untill the harsh reality of running it kicks in and on it moves again

The last thing I try to do with friends, acquaintances or people showing an interest in the Tesla is to show any criticism or holier-than-thou attitude towards other vehicles or manufacturers. There's a fine line between being an enthusiast, a fanboy or a zealot & the latter usually alienates everyone else.

There are plenty of positives to owning an EV, as well as a few current drawbacks so respect that people are free to make their own mind up, especially with brands that have a long and successful history of a high quality ownership experience. Manufacturers produce these vehicles because there is demand for them & it's a commercial decision.

Reactions: Neilio