Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I subscribed to FSD; I'm really glad I didn't purchase it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
Well, I've been lusting after FSD ever since I got my MY a year ago. After a week with the subscription, I'm glad I didn't purchase it. Apart from a couple of cool, useful features, everything else is either *meh* or makes me nauseous.

Cool, useful features:
  • Green Light Warning - very handy, though I wish it didn't dip the radio sound.
  • Signal Awareness - I LOVE that it stops at stop signs and red lights.
  • Lane Changing - if I could add this to Autopilot I would be a very happy owner indeed!
*meh* features:
  • Summon / Smart Summon - neat idea but the implementation is horrible. It wont pull my car into or out of my garage (very well) and it takes a LOOOONNNGGGG time to activate. By the time it works I could have gotten in the car and drove away, 3 times.
  • Autopark - again, neat idea but it's so slow and halting that its almost embarrasing to be seen parking with it. I'm not very good at parallel parking but I can do at least as well as this feature.
Nauseating features:
  • FSD - for some reason, I get car sick while using this feature. Maybe I would get used to it or it would get better over time, but right now just 10 minutes on FSD and I have a headache the rest of the day. I really, REALLY wanted to like this feature but I'm afraid it just wont be for me.
Future features:
  • Autosteer on City Streets - I think this would be awesome (at least on paper) and I'm looking forward to it. I do most of my driving in this mode and I think it might be the most helpful of all the FSD features. However, given my recent experience my expectations are tempered somewhat.

When you say FSD is nauseating, what do you think you're referring to as FSD? I think you're talking about Auto-Pilot but um everyone has AP these days... you had it before you subscribed for FSD (which is just a couple extra things, it's not the stuff in youtube videos)
Yes, I've had AP for over a year and I've used it several times, once for 1,000 miles, and I never had a problem with it. However, the few trips I've taken on the local highways with FSD have given me a huge headache and made me carsick. I don't know if it's the lane changing or maybe its just my brain telling me that I'm not totally in control, but it really is affecting me. I was curious if anyone else experienced this so I created this post.

I'm willing to give it another try, and probably will before my subscription ends. Hopefully it's just a one time thing or I'll get used to it, or I had particullarly bad traffic conditions and it will be better next time.

I don't understand why anyone would dump $199/month on a feature that isn't present yet. Those who made the one-time payment for FSD are making a (possibly) educated guess that it will be feature complete and usable enough to warrant the cost. However, there is zero justification to subscribing now for almost no benefit. Just wait until FSD is fully released then reevaluate.

It is somewhat disengenuous to complain about paying $199/month now for FSD while it is objectively clear at the time of subscription you are not getting your $199 worth.

Yes, I've had AP for over a year and I've used it several times, once for 1,000 miles, and I never had a problem with it. However, the few trips I've taken on the local highways with FSD have given me a huge headache and made me carsick. I don't know if it's the lane changing or maybe its just my brain telling me that I'm not totally in control, but it really is affecting me. I was curious if anyone else experienced this so I created this post.

I'm willing to give it another try, and probably will before my subscription ends. Hopefully it's just a one time thing or I'll get used to it, or I had particullarly bad traffic conditions and it will be better next time.
What I'm saying is when you're on the highway and enable AP, you're enabling the same AP you've always had not matter if you just subscribed for FSD or not. There's no difference between FSD AP and non-FSD AP when on the highway. Now if you're not used to the car changing lanes for you then I guess I could see some motion sickness there.

The car can be very jerky while at very low speeds with AP enabled in traffic situations... hard braking and then OMG GO GO GO then stop again.

I just want to make sure you're using the term FSD in the proper way. You listed the features that are enabled that are an "upgrade" over normal AP but besides it changing lanes on the highway and being able to drive through stop lights there's nothing new to the way the car performs. There's literally hundreds of posts about whether FSD is worth the money or not, if you got in early at a cheaper price then yeah I think it might be worth it some day but beyond that... naw it's all party tricks at this point until we get a wide-release of what we see on YouTube with it making turns/etc.

I don't understand why anyone would dump $199/month on a feature that isn't present yet.
really? you dont understand 'I want to see what I'd get if I had spent $10k or $7k' ?

I see that. clearly. was almost tempted to try it, just to eat the dogfood a bit, so to speak. I didn't and I wont (silliest but also serious reason: I like the fw version I have now and getting the upgrade would mandate a forced fw upgrade and I'm not willing to do that). but I can see how someone might want to see what they would have gotton, and maybe think if its worth checking in on, time to time.

seems reasonable to me. much more than dumping over $7k on unknowns and NOT being able to get a refund beyond a short initial period.

the feature-on-demand stuff is going to get bigger and every vendor is gonna do it. get used to it. its rent-seeking but its also good if it lets us a-la-carte options instead of having high-priced option *groups*. let me pick and choose and enable/disable when I dont need things.

like it or not, its how the industry is going to go and they'll all play along.

Reactions: RNHurt and Zhe Wiz
Well, I've been lusting after FSD ever since I got my MY a year ago. After a week with the subscription, I'm glad I didn't purchase it. Apart from a couple of cool, useful features, everything else is either *meh* or makes me nauseous.

It seems you're thinking of FSD Capability (often mistakenly called FSD which is still something else) purchase differently than how it was intended. It's a future investment both to help Tesla with capital to develop FSD and for you as the purchaser to not have to pay more for it later. To give you an idea, when we purchased FSD Capability it had NONE of the features you listed except "dumb" summon (i.e. - forward and backward only). So looking back I don't regret purchasing at all because it keeps coming out with more features (i.e. - those that you listed) and they keep improving. Autopilot wasn't even included back when we purchased the car, so seeing all the various features get added/improved over time means I'm glad I don't have to pay more for it later. But I understand others still think of it as "what do I get now for what I'm paying you?"

Future features:
  • Autosteer on City Streets - I think this would be awesome (at least on paper) and I'm looking forward to it. I do most of my driving in this mode and I think it might be the most helpful of all the FSD features. However, given my recent experience my expectations are tempered somewhat.
Past performance is no promise of future reward, but after 3+ years of first hand experience seeing the progression and after seeing how much better FSD beta is, I'm betting Tesla will get there. Timeline? Yeah who knows... 🤷🏻‍♂️

It seems you're thinking of FSD Capability (often mistakenly called FSD which is still something else) purchase differently than how it was intended. It's a future investment both to help Tesla with capital to develop FSD and for you as the purchaser to not have to pay more for it later.
Agreed. I guess the "subscription" pricing changes the dynamic somewhat; you expect more for the money and are not trying to support future development. At least that's the way it's playing out in my brain right now. 🤔

seems reasonable to me. much more than dumping over $7k on unknowns and NOT being able to get a refund beyond a short initial period.
You are 100% correct. I wanted to try it out to see how it worked and if I might like to purchase it / fund future development. In my short experience with it I can say it's not worth the money to me right now. I might have a different opinion of they let us try the BETA v9 stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Actually, that's an interesting thought. Maybe I'll get the subscription every so often to check on the progress. I think I'll definately try again once the new FSD stuff shows up in production.

But that's not what you would get. Over the course of one month, you get....barely anything. Why not just wait until the full feature set is released to evaluate if the $199 is worth it. Of course it isn't now.
because anyone who does not have 'fsd' now and gets the month of fsd use will have experienced what the 'max' package currently is.

some people used to pay money for market research. people still pay money for college. education has value. experiencial education, even more.

see what its like now, get a snapshot, evaluate back again later on. its not either/or, mate ;)

because anyone who does not have 'fsd' now and gets the month of fsd use will have experienced what the 'max' package currently is.

some people used to pay money for market research. people still pay money for college. education has value. experiencial education, even more.

see what its like now, get a snapshot, evaluate back again later on. its not either/or, mate ;)
I’m referring to bashing the subscription because it doesn’t deliver very much. NO KIDDING! yes if you want to watch it’s progress, that’s fine. I bought FSD and I follow progress closely. However, the OP is rating the treating the currently delivered features as if it’s the whole FSD package.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I’m referring to bashing the subscription because it doesn’t deliver very much. NO KIDDING! yes if you want to watch it’s progress, that’s fine. I bought FSD and I follow progress closely. However, the OP is rating the treating the currently delivered features as if it’s the whole FSD package.

For a $200 monthly fee, it sure reflects what would be a full package.

Reactions: hcdavis3
After driving with it several more times I feel like I'm becoming more used to the more full featured "self driving" experience (lane changes, ramp exits, etc.) That's good and it means that I will probably try again, especially after they upgrade FSD to the "beta" software.

One other thing I noticed recently is the TACC seems to be more gentle. I don't know if this has anything to do with FSD or just the latest software (2021.12.25.7) that was installed when FSD was activated. Before, TACC would speed up / slow down quite erratically in heavy traffic. I often wanted it to behave more like a human; you know that it doesn't make any sense to jump to 25MPH when you are just going to go to 0MPH again in 10 meters. Now, it seems like it handles this a bit better and doesn't jump on the accelerator quite as quickly. If this is a result of FSD then it's another check in the WIN column. ✅