Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find it amusing how defensive many people on TMC get about their Tesla. As soon as someone says anything good about another brand or anything bad about a Tesla they jump all over it, taking it as a personal affront.
True. Tribalism is a thing and you’ll likely find that on ANY dedicated brand forum. Just read some posts in the MachEforum.com site for example.

What I find more amusing is when people go out of their way to sh**tpost on a different brand website even when they don’t have any intention of owning the product.

(And no, I don’t have an account on the MachE forum but I have read several posts there.)

Last edited:
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

View attachment 764281

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
Love your review. Im looking at it too

Well, I bought one. Let me know if you have any questions. Coming from a Model S.

Better than Tesla:
Spacious feeling in front seats.
Luxury touches (HUD, ventilated seats, 360 camera view, hooks to hang my jacket)
Quiet.
Adjustable regen braking options.
Blind spot warning (I know many Teslas now have this, mine did not)
Cool factor (honestly, I didn't really expect the comments and questions). Also kind of fun at the Electrify America Station, visiting with all the newbie owners.
Free EA charging for two years.
Highway Driving Assist 2. Coming from Autopilot (not FSD), this is a plus because it does the navigate on Autopilot and the automatic lane change. Plus the park assist where it can pull in and out of a tight space. I've tried everything except the park assist. Works great!

Missing my Tesla:
That map, miss that huge, crisp map.
Walkaway door locks (very, very much)
Not having to press a start button. Just get in and drive. (amazing how lazy you can get)
Range (although I knew I didn't need the range of the S when I bought this car, so it should be fine. Have not tested it yet)
OTA software updates. Ioniq requires you download it to a drive and load manually. Supposedly they are changing to an OTA function, but not up yet.

Same-ish:
Fun to drive!
Audio performance
Storage for me (definitely smaller in the Hyundai, but I don't care)

Haven't tried yet:
Electrify America on a long trip
Service

I spent today driving it around. It was a great day.

Well, I bought one. Let me know if you have any questions. Coming from a Model S.

Better than Tesla:
Spacious feeling in front seats.
Luxury touches (HUD, ventilated seats, 360 camera view, hooks to hang my jacket)
Quiet.
Adjustable regen braking options.
Blind spot warning (I know many Teslas now have this, mine did not)
Cool factor (honestly, I didn't really expect the comments and questions). Also kind of fun at the Electrify America Station, visiting with all the newbie owners.
Free EA charging for two years.
Highway Driving Assist 2. Coming from Autopilot (not FSD), this is a plus because it does the navigate on Autopilot and the automatic lane change. Plus the park assist where it can pull in and out of a tight space. I've tried everything except the park assist. Works great!

Missing my Tesla:
That map, miss that huge, crisp map.
Walkaway door locks (very, very much)
Not having to press a start button. Just get in and drive. (amazing how lazy you can get)
Range (although I knew I didn't need the range of the S when I bought this car, so it should be fine. Have not tested it yet)
OTA software updates. Ioniq requires you download it to a drive and load manually. Supposedly they are changing to an OTA function, but not up yet.

Same-ish:
Fun to drive!
Audio performance
Storage for me (definitely smaller in the Hyundai, but I don't care)

Haven't tried yet:
Electrify America on a long trip
Service

I spent today driving it around. It was a great day.
What model S year did you come from?

I'm liking a trim you can get with the AWD Kia EV6 vs. the AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5.

With the Ioniq 5 you need to get the top of the line Limited version ($54,500 MSRP) to get features like vehicle-to-load (120V AC power), 360 surround view, ventilated seats, premium audio, and parking assist.

With the EV6 you can get those features with the lower cost AWD Wind with the technology package ($52,115 MSRP). You get 19" wheels instead of 20" which I think has a good range advantage. You miss out on a sunroof, heated rear seats, HUD, and a few other things.

If you want to match most of the features of the AWD Ioniq 5 Limited, you can get the AWD EV6 GT-Line ($57,115), but in that case the EV6 costs more (not sure why other than extra styling on the GT-Line).

Reactions: voxel
I'm liking a trim you can get with the AWD Kia EV6 vs. the AWD Hyundai Ioniq 5.

With the Ioniq 5 you need to get the top of the line Limited version ($54,500 MSRP) to get features like vehicle-to-load (120V AC power), 360 surround view, ventilated seats, premium audio, and parking assist.

With the EV6 you can get those features with the lower cost AWD Wind with the technology package ($52,115 MSRP). You get 19" wheels instead of 20" which I think has a good range advantage. You miss out on a sunroof, heated rear seats, HUD, and a few other things.

If you want to match most of the features of the AWD Ioniq 5 Limited, you can get the AWD EV6 GT-Line ($57,115), but in that case the EV6 costs more (not sure why other than extra styling on the GT-Line).

I much prefer driving the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. It brought a smile to my face whereas the Ioniq 5 felt like a Sunday drive in a sedan. However the Ev6 is pretty cramped inside so it might not be for everybody. Headroom is a major issue and a dark interior makes it feel like a cave.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
When you have some EA experience would love to hear about them. Drove a Chevy Bolt from Cape Cod to south of Tucson AZ back in Oct 2019. Mixed reviews of EA sites from that trip from me!

Rich
EA is a mixed bag because it's a work in progress. They've been upgrading their network across the board which means a lot of stations are being worked on/built simultaneously. It used to be mostly 50 kw chargers that were being ICED 100% of the time by Wal-Mart employees but they've gone in and upgraded most of those to 150 kw and even put up threatening signage (i.e. don't park here or get towed) at some locations. The 350 kw chargers are extremely unreliable, but a lot of complaints have more to do with a misunderstanding of their vehicle's charging curve, i.e. you show up to a 350 kw with 50+% battery and wonder why it's only going at 150 kw... The problem with EVs generally is that minimizing charge time requires pushing most people's limits of range anxiety, i.e. going to 5% SOC. See the recent Taycan charging record as an example.

Some of the UX depends on manufacturer implementation. Despite owning this company, VW group vehicles have the worst implementation and instead of just plugging in and assuming it will start charging you need to go into an app (good luck if you have no cell reception!), click a bunch of stuff, and then you wait 30 seconds for the charger to activate. My Taycan supposedly has some software that allows it to start charging automatically but someone said that you have to ask the dealer to "turn it on"...

So yeah, the EA network feels a bit sad compared to Tesla SC, especially when you're in some dinky town's Wal-Mart hanging out in your $120k vehicle next to homeless people and crackheads... but it's sufficient in most places near an interstate not going through WY or MT or going north/south.

This looks like it may check off a LOT of the boxes my wife/I will be looking for to replace the Y in a year or so. She LOVES the Y, but when I see the luxury inside of this one, the external look, and the interior layout? Even she was impressed. Even the rotating globe shift knob. Very nice luxury touch

I much prefer driving the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. It brought a smile to my face whereas the Ioniq 5 felt like a Sunday drive in a sedan. However the Ev6 is pretty cramped inside so it might not be for everybody. Headroom is a major issue and a dark interior makes it feel like a cave.
I tried a RWD (only thing they had) EV6 GT-Line today. I pretty much agree with what you said. The rear seat has plenty of leg room but the center 5th seat is flat and not comfortable (the left/right rear seats were sculpted and nice). Head room even in the front is limited, but good enough for me. If one is over 6'2" or so it could be a problem. The sunroof is tiny too, while the Ioniq 5 has a very big one with motorized shade. The HUD was much better than what I expected, it looks like the display is about 15 ft in front of you and very easy to read without having to refocus your eyes. Regen was great too with several settings.

The EV6 if more like a sports car inside while the Ioniq 5 is like a family car. Both ride great and are very quiet. The EV6 AWD gets about 20 miles range more than the AWD Ioniq 5, probably because it's more aerodynamic.

The biggest advantage for the EV6 at my location is that it looks like I could get one with no markup other than maybe having to get mats and pay a $699 dealer fee. Ioniq 5's in my area are still getting $10K markups for the Limited version, which is the version I'd want. The lower cost AWD EV6 Wind with the tech package has most of the features I'd want and I think I'd prefer the 19" wheels too. The GT-Line has very limited colors availabe. However, the car I test drove had suede leather seats ($295 option) which were very nice, though not sure how they'd hold up to abuse, especially from dogs.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
I tried a RWD (only thing they had) EV6 GT-Line today. I pretty much agree with what you said. The rear seat has plenty of leg room but the center 5th seat is flat and not comfortable (the left/right rear seats were sculpted and nice). Head room even in the front is limited, but good enough for me. If one is over 6'2" or so it could be a problem. The sunroof is tiny too, while the Ioniq 5 has a very big one with motorized shade. The HUD was much better than what I expected, it looks like the display is about 15 ft in front of you and very easy to read without having to refocus your eyes. Regen was great too with several settings.

The EV6 if more like a sports car inside while the Ioniq 5 is like a family car. Both ride great and are very quiet. The EV6 AWD gets about 20 miles range more than the AWD Ioniq 5, probably because it's more aerodynamic.

The biggest advantage for the EV6 at my location is that it looks like I could get one with no markup other than maybe having to get mats and pay a $699 dealer fee. Ioniq 5's in my area are still getting $10K markups for the Limited version, which is the version I'd want. The lower cost AWD EV6 Wind with the tech package has most of the features I'd want and I think I'd prefer the 19" wheels too. The GT-Line has very limited colors availabe. However, the car I test drove had suede leather seats ($295 option) which were very nice, though not sure how they'd hold up to abuse, especially from dogs.
I’m 6’-4" and agree the GT-Line is a bit tight with the moon roof. Drove the Wind and it felt, to me, more roomy. I’m headed back to my local Kia dealer tomorrow to drive both again tomorrow. They have a Wind with the Tech package in my first choice color coming first week of March.

Agree too, with your other comments about the EV6 v Ionia 5. Both nice cars.

The opposite for here in Florida. I had the chance to buy a Limited AWD with $3K markup but declined it after my test drive because my Model Y was arriving two days later. I have unable to find a EV6 without $10K markup (usually $25k or $20K... if lower than $10K they immediately lowball any trade).

Anyhow, if I get an EV6 or Ioniq 5... it can not be my primary car. My primary will have to be my RAV4 Prime.

As a test, I drove my 2022 Model Y to Ocala (90+ miles each way with most of it at 75-85mph) to another event yesterday and this would be near impossible with an AWD EV6 or Ioniq 5 without a giant 30 minute detour to charge at Bushnell on the way back home. I would need to drive much slower and have to leave the house with 100% and make zero detours (um... I make detours and sidetrips all the time.. lol). Today, I did briefly stop with the Tesla at a supercharger but it was at a service plaza along the toll to use the restrooms. There are numerous Superchargers but no CCS1 DC fast chargers along this section of highway/toll which is not an unusual situation for this state.

A month ago, I drove this same route with my RAV4 Prime to various Hyundai dealerships in the Ocala area and it was of course stress-free - even though I was speeding ( like everybody else) at 80+. I love EVs but the practicality of them in daily life in many parts of the country - I'm not convinced. I don't understand EV trucks.. I think they will be giant suburban richfolk toys. Not enough range and lack of DC charging infrastructure will cause owners to sell them soon after buying them. I already know two Floridians selling their Ioniq 5s due to range issues - I've been helping them out.

Breathing polluted air is not a silly thing. Can I send the white rag that gets black every time I wipe my white car down? Lung cancer is not silly.
Snark is hard to parse. I was taking shots at the "gimme my lead based 2mm thick paint job like the old days" type of comments.

Some of the nicest custom cars come out of California, which also must adhere to the low VOC paint laws, so it doesn't pass basic deductive reasoning that it's the cause of Tesla's notoriously not awesome paint job out of Fremont.