Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relatively small cargo storage and wired Car Play (only) are deal killers for me. Don't want to have to plug my phone in every time I drive.
There are adapters that plug in to car’s usb to provide wireless apple CarPlay. I suspect a native wireless option will eventually be offered.
Native CarPlay in a tesla without third party hack? Hmmm. I did add CarPlay to a fire HD tablet that I could mount in my MYP. works pretty well but extra junk in the interior.

The Credit is on the FRONT of 1040A. it does NOT reduce your tax owed. It reduces your gross income like if you put 7500 into a 401k your W2 at year end shows you made 7500 less
Form 1040A was discontinued after 2018. Please do not give tax advice. The EV Credit is a dollar for dollar tax credit if you a tax liability. It is a non-refundable credit. Ask you tax person.

Really? Only one EA station in MN? You're talking about the one in Woodbury right? It's like one minute drive from my work and about 10 minutes from my house. I guess I'm well covered here with the one EA station and the Oakdale supercharger, even though I will rarely use them.

here are CCS chargers in MN.

397AC950-728E-4AC0-88FB-CBF558771F56.jpeg

Reactions: voxel
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

View attachment 764281

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
I agree with healthy Tesla competition. Since my LR MS was pushed out several times since April 2021 I took a Taycan for a test drive. I’ve driven a Teska MS for the last 5 years and a BMW 528 prior to and I must say, the Taycan was the most fun I had behind the wheel in my life! Yet no car maker can compete with Tesla charging infrastructure. So I am still waiting for my S RN 1147. EDD Feb 10-20. We’ll see. However the moment Porsche drastically increases it’s range AND Tesla opens up its network to all EV makers I’m getting the newest Taycan.

I agree with healthy Tesla competition. Since my LR MS was pushed out several times since April 2021 I took a Taycan for a test drive. I’ve driven a Teska MS for the last 5 years and a BMW 528 prior to and I must say, the Taycan was the most fun I had behind the wheel in my life! Yet no car maker can compete with Tesla charging infrastructure. So I am still waiting for my S RN 1147. EDD Feb 10-20. We’ll see. However the moment Porsche drastically increases it’s range AND Tesla opens up its network to all EV makers I’m getting the newest Taycan.
Tesla not Teska 😂

I see Charge Pointe has many chargers, but Electrfy America only has two, as was stated by the OP.
There's a couple of Charge Point chargers at the HyVee grocery store near us but half the time they don't charge (or charge extremely slowly.) It's fine if you just want to get a few miles while you shop but not useful if you actually need to charge. I haven't looked for others but my experience makes me a bit biased/skeptical.

The EV6 is supposed to come out with a version that has 576 HP. Im curious to see how that performs.

I thought i would never use AP when i bought the Tesla but i find myself using it all the time on the highway. I would love to have auto lane change but I refuse to pay $12,000 for that. If Tesla brought back EAP for $4,000 i might consider.

Hyundai/Kia have poor paint quality though from my experience. The paint is thin and soft like the Tesla.

Reactions: cusetownusa
The EV6 is supposed to come out with a version that has 576 HP. Im curious to see how that performs.

I thought i would never use AP when i bought the Tesla but i find myself using it all the time on the highway. I would love to have auto lane change but I refuse to pay $12,000 for that. If Tesla brought back EAP for $4,000 i might consider.

Hyundai/Kia have poor paint quality though from my experience. The paint is thin and soft like the Tesla.
No no, it's definitely KaliFornia and their silly low VOC laws ;-)

There's a couple of Charge Point chargers at the HyVee grocery store near us but half the time they don't charge (or charge extremely slowly.) It's fine if you just want to get a few miles while you shop but not useful if you actually need to charge. I haven't looked for others but my experience makes me a bit biased/skeptical.
@sleepydoc Sounds like those are L2 chargers, especially if you're charging a Tesla on it with the standard J1772 adapter. ChargePoint has far more L2 than L3/DCFC chargers out there, but they also do L3/DCFC chargers. Or so I've read, I've never used one personally. You would need a CHAdeMO or CCS1 adapter to charge a Tesla on one.

Bummer to hear that the regen level needs to be reset each time you start the car.

Otherwise I’m totally in love with the look of the IONIQ 5. I’m pretty sure you can set that in the setting tab in the infotainment system. I can in my Hyundai ioniq electric. You can set the regen level for each drive mode ECO,Normal,SPORT and the car will start in the last set drive mode.

Bummer to hear that the regen level needs to be reset each time you start the car.

Otherwise I’m totally in love with the look of the IONIQ 5.

It depends on your driving mode preference.

To clarify:
There are 4 regen levels: 0 (min/none) to 3 (max).
There are 4 driving modes - Normal, Sport, Eco and Snow
Sport mode doesn't stick: if you turned the car off in Sport mode it reverts to Normal when you start the vehicle.
Each driving mode has a default Regen Level.
Snow Mode only allows 0 to 1. The other modes allow 0 to 3, which you can set using the paddle shifter.

So whether you need to reset the regen would depend on your preferences and the ability to configure the defaults.

In my Kona EV the initial defaults are:
- Sport 1
- Normal 1
- Eco 2
The default is configurable from 1-3, but not 0.
I modified Eco to default to 3. I drive in Eco 3 in my Kona EV, and I don't have to adjust the regen each time.
But my wife drives in Sport 0, so she has to adjust regen from 1 to 0 each time she drives (after selecting the drive mode).

(I also just learned something by reading the relevant section of my owners manual that I'll try out once I get my car back. Deer + backordered parts. Hopefully get my car back in 2 to 2 1/2 weeks if backorder dates are accurate.)

Last edited:
I may have missed it but I thought it had to do with the level 1 charger that came with the car - can't even use the dryer plug. Level 1 charging, isn't charging
Strictly speaking you can't do more than Level 1 with the default Tesla Y or 3 charger either. You have to at least buy a new plug pigtail for the charger, which is admittedly not expensive ($45).

Wrose than that (7.5 seconds) :)

IMHO that puts it out of the league of the Model Y and Teslas in general, especially the YP (with same 303 range). Think of all the appeal of Teslas in general, and cut out the performance part of that appeal. Ew.
Is this real? That’s my Toyota Sienna minivan number. This can’t be right, can it? I guess no need to test drive for me if this is true.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Is this real? That’s my Toyota Sienna minivan number. This can’t be right, can it? I guess no need to test drive for me if this is true.
That's for the RWD version of the Ioniq 5. The AWD version with dual motors is a better comparison to the Model Y.

The acceleration numbers vary a bit depending on where you check, but I'm seeing 0-60 MPH times of 7.3 sec for RWD, and 5.1 sec for AWD. I test drove an AWD SEL Ioniq 5 and the acceleration was smooth, quick and adequate for me, although it's a bit slower than 4.8 sec for the MYLR.

I drove an SE AWD today and I was very impressed. I've been looking for another car, and don't want another Tesla, but do need to have that EV zip/happy to drive feeling. I was really happy with the Ioniq 5's quickness and handling. This was the low end trim, but was very comfortable, and I actually like the extra space in the front cabin because there is no console between the seats. I always have a bag and in my Tesla, it goes on the passenger seat and I listen to the stupid airbag warning ding all the time until I throw it on the passenger floor and hard to reach. So that's a small thing that makes a nice difference to me.

Markups here are a thing, but the dealer where I test drove did not have a markup. He also had a very long wait for a Limited. I have talked to several other dealers and have been quoted markups between $1000 and $5000, some only markup for out of state buyers (I'm in the DMV so lot's of states here). Compare this to the RAV4 Prime I also looked at which was $5000 to $10000. I saw on a website on a Hyundai dealer website that they were marking up $25,000. It actually said that on the website. MSRP 54,000 plus price adjustment $25,000 for a total cost of $79,000. I had to laugh and I am going to call them on Monday, because I have to know if they mean it! They are pretty far outin the boonies, so maybe they are just tired of wasting time on calls.

One thing I love about the Tesla is the one pedal driving. I know some folks up here said the region resets every ride, but I think if you put it on something called I-pedal (which is the one pedal driving), it stays in that setting. I did not try this.

I'm really looking forward to being able to hang my jacket on a hook for the commute to work. Haha! Crap, that reminds me I forgot to look for a hook. So strange what becomes important...

But overall, seems like I nice car.