Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how this is contextually relevant to this thread....

ZenRockGarden said "Location is also crucial for charging. If your car only has ~200 miles real-world practical range, and the Electrify-America station is 30 miles away... you now have a 140-mile range car. Not great."

I took that to mean they'd be driving 30 miles to charge, then 30 miles home. I would not own an EV if I could not charge at home, therefore the issue of the nearest fast charging location being 30 miles away is irrelevant. People who can't charge at home are typically people who live in shared parking areas that they do not have control over and can not create a plug-in option for themselves. I charge on a 240v/50a circuit and the nearest Supercharger is 36 miles away and I've only been there once just to see what that location was like. Otherwise I have no use for a fast charging location within 150 miles of my house.

So what I'm saying is ZenRockGarden's argument is only relevant for people who can't charge at home, and I think that's irrelevant because I discourage people from buying EVs if they can't charge at home, because even the fastest EV charging is still a frustration. The thing that matters with Tesla Superchargers versus CCS is long range coverage, which Tesla DOES currently have the advantage on. But nearness to home is absolutely not the issue.

I test drove an AWD SEL Ioniq 5 and really liked it, mainly do to the comfy ride, quiet cabin, and nice seats with plenty of room. I wish it had the decent sized frunk and that big storage under the floor in the rear like the Model Y has. As mentioned, the big problem now are the dealer markups which vary by location. Here, the typical markup for the Limited is $10K though some dealers charge less for an SEL. I think I could have talked down a couple of dealers to $5K for a Limited, but that's still way too much for my taste. It's a first year car but I was willing to give it a chance due to the great warranty, which starts with 5 yrs, 60K miles overall, and 10 yrs, 100K for the power train and battery.

One funny experience I had with one dealer was when he explained his markup he said it included a $2K value "protection package". That package included a "protective" undercoating, plus seat and paint "protection". I couldn't believe they are still pushing undercoating, especially on that car which includes a 7 yr, 100K mile rust warranty. Plus there is a good chance such "protection" could void that Hyundai rust warranty. In the past I heard stories of the "protection" making rust more likely due to blocking drainage holes on the bottom of the car. I wonder what an undercoat could do to a battery? And what are the seat and paint "protection"? For the leatherette seats it's probably a wipe of Armor All and for the paint maybe a "protective" spray in a car wash. The dealer model really sucks, IMO, especially in the purchase of a new or used car.

I test drove an AWD SEL Ioniq 5 and really liked it, mainly do to the comfy ride, quiet cabin, and nice seats with plenty of room. I wish it had the decent sized frunk and that big storage under the floor in the rear like the Model Y has. As mentioned, the big problem now are the dealer markups which vary by location. Here, the typical markup for the Limited is $10K though some dealers charge less for an SEL. I think I could have talked down a couple of dealers to $5K for a Limited, but that's still way too much for my taste. It's a first year car but I was willing to give it a chance due to the great warranty, which starts with 5 yrs, 60K miles overall, and 10 yrs, 100K for the power train and battery.

One funny experience I had with one dealer was when he explained his markup he said it included a $2K value "protection package". That package included a "protective" undercoating, plus seat and paint "protection". I couldn't believe they are still pushing undercoating, especially on that car which includes a 7 yr, 100K mile rust warranty. Plus there is a good chance such "protection" could void that Hyundai rust warranty. In the past I heard stories of the "protection" making rust more likely due to blocking drainage holes on the bottom of the car. I wonder what an undercoat could do to a battery? And what are the seat and paint "protection"? For the leatherette seats it's probably a wipe of Armor All and for the paint maybe a "protective" spray in a car wash. The dealer model really sucks, IMO, especially in the purchase of a new or used car.

Whadyamean you don't want the trucoat!

It isn't.......probably just free-floating regret. FWIW, I owned an EV for 2 years in a condo building where I couldn't charge at home. More than do-able, and it would have been even easier if it had been a Tesla (with Supercharging).
That makes sense. Tesla's Supercharging network can be a fairly significant perk depending on your driving habits and whether long distance treks are a requirement, or can be satisfied with an alternate (ICE) vehicle. It decrement a points for the Hyundai, at least right now, in many areas where Electrify America and other options are sparse, unreliable, slow, or all of the above.

I can't imagine anyone buying these protection packages. It's snake oil, fear mongering, and pure profit for the dealer. It's a shameful practice. The worst dealers are those that preemptively apply and won't let you remove. Haven't seen this in awhile in the PacNW but walked from a few dealers back in the 90's and 00's that insisted this was their "standard protection package on all vehicles" and wouldn't remove. The PPF application is likely the latest iteration, and if the price isn't too terrible and they are say protection the front, part/all of the hood, the mirrors, and door pockets, I don't mind as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: kindofblue
Close friend of mine (2021 MYLR owner) test drove a SEL, good list OP highlighted on pros & cons. He ended up selling his 21 MYLR to Vroom for ~$58k and paid MSRP for the Ioniq5 AWD. 3 key things that he valued the most
- More comfortable ride, HUGE improvement compared to MYLR with 20" inductions
- 360 camera available
- Apple Carplay

Also mentioned the build quality is more consistent, doesn't value the "Supercharger" network much because 99% of his drive will be within a 2 hour radius of home. For what it's worth, there haven't been any negative reviews on the Ioniq5 or EV6 (I'm more excited about the Kia in fact). Exciting to see what the next 18-24 months will bring in new EV entrants.

Close friend of mine (2021 MYLR owner) test drove a SEL, good list OP highlighted on pros & cons. He ended up selling his 21 MYLR to Vroom for ~$58k and paid MSRP for the Ioniq5 AWD. 3 key things that he valued the most
- More comfortable ride, HUGE improvement compared to MYLR with 20" inductions
- 360 camera available
- Apple Carplay

Also mentioned the build quality is more consistent, doesn't value the "Supercharger" network much because 99% of his drive will be within a 2 hour radius of home. For what it's worth, there haven't been any negative reviews on the Ioniq5 or EV6 (I'm more excited about the Kia in fact). Exciting to see what the next 18-24 months will bring in new EV entrants.

The SEL trim doesn’t have a 360 camera.

To me, it’s Limited or bust. The problem is markups with that trim.

Reactions: Corndart
You have to buy Limited package to get glass roof (with sliding cover - something Tesla should have),
360 camera, ventilated seats and HUD.
Did you know Hyundai only gives you a 115v charger with the car with no option
to get a 220v charger for home use. You would have to buy aftermarket charger for
additional $400-$500. At least in my area, EA charger locations are few and far between.
There are pluses and minuses for each car. You have to decide which of those are most important to you.

I did like the interior roominess of the Ioniq 5. The sliding center console and the reclining/sliding rear seats give more flexibility with space.

I know some people prefer the center console that extends from the seats to the dashboard but I like that open space at the front to put stuff... or my feet if I'm not driving and just relaxing.

But once you have frunk... you will always want a frunk... especially if you don't have that large rear cargo area or under floor space like the MY has.

My friends always ask me what's so special about a frunk... they don't know nuthin'. :)

Reactions: WhiteWi and tm1v2
It isn't.......probably just free-floating regret. FWIW, I owned an EV for 2 years in a condo building where I couldn't charge at home. More than do-able, and it would have been even easier if it had been a Tesla (with Supercharging).

I don't know what you mean by free-floating regret.

Stapling your hair up to keep it out of your eyes is "more than do-able", but doesn't mean it's a good idea. Not being able to charge an EV at home is obviously do-able, it just omits a major advantage of EVs and isn't a good idea.

Do you charge at home now? Do you perceive an improved vehicle experience?

I'll never, ever buy a car from a dealer selling over MSRP. Nice review!
Same here. A few years back my wife and I were shopping for a Honda Pilot (I think) and the dealer wanted $5k over MSRP. I laughed and told him to call me when he was ready to sell at MSRP. He never did call, but I also got another SUV from the Mazda dealer on the same block for less than MSRP the next day. Best auto purchase for the money we have ever made. Dealers love their markups, but as a buyer, if you keep an open mind and shop around, there's almost always a better deal. Assuming you don't live out in the stix.

FWIW I like the look of the Ioniq 5, I'll be taking a more serious look at it in a year or two.

Reactions: patnshan
Same here. A few years back my wife and I were shopping for a Honda Pilot (I think) and the dealer wanted $5k over MSRP. I laughed and told him to call me when he was ready to sell at MSRP. He never did call, but I also got another SUV from the Mazda dealer on the same block for less than MSRP the next day. Best auto purchase for the money we have ever made. Dealers love their markups, but as a buyer, if you keep an open mind and shop around, there's almost always a better deal. Assuming you don't live out in the stix.

FWIW I like the look of the Ioniq 5, I'll be taking a more serious look at it in a year or two.

I hate dealerships and their pricing games too, but let's be honest Tesla has been steadily raising the price of the same car they were manufacturing a year ago based on demand and ability to meet it. That's exactly what the Honda dealership (thought) they were doing.

That said, yeah to hell with paying over MSRP! I hate the whole dealership system. It's infuriating and needs to die.

Nice review. Yeah the charging network is Tesla's secret weapon, and I think it will only increase in value since it looks to me like the non-tesla carmakers are ramping up electric vehicles faster than the country is building non-tesla charging stations.

Location is also crucial for charging. If your car only has ~200 miles real-world practical range, and the Electrify-America station is 30 miles away... you now have a 140-mile range car. Not great.
Out of curiosity I looked up EA chargers in Minnesota - there's one. Yup, a single EA charging station in the entire state, and it's in a far eastern suburb of St. Paul (9 miles from the Wisconsin border, actually.) I looked in Wisconsin and there's a total of 4.

There are other chargers around, but since EA is one that many companies are partnering with they'd better up their game.

Not being able to charge an EV at home is obviously do-able, it just omits a major advantage of EVs and isn't a good idea.
Well, I guess it depends on what your major advantage was when you bought it. It may be different than mine. I think it's fine idea, even though it's not "best practices" for the health of the battery. I decided trading a little life off the battery (which is going to last longer than the rest of the car's technology anyway) was a reasonable trade off for not having to drive an ICE vehicle. YMMV.

Do you charge at home now? Do you perceive an improved vehicle experience?
Now I have a 3rd-party L2 charger in my building's parking garage, so while I'm still paying retail prices, I can be in my apartment while charging. I still can't leave it plugged in overnight, but it's an improvement and a reasonable trade off for living in a condo rather than a house. I have a better "vehicle experience" only because I now have a Tesla MY rather than a Nissan Leaf (although I honestly loved my Leaf and only changed when my driving patterns changed).

For my driving patterns at the time when I bought my Leaf, I used to spend an hour a week charging my car (DCFC) once a week in the summer, and twice a week in the winter. Combined with some L1 and L2 charging in various places when convenient, that was all I needed, and I was perfectly happy to read email, newspapers, or favourite websites on my phone for that time. Usually I'd have a Starbucks with me, and was OK with that bargain. I often spent that hour in front of my computer at home too, so I was perfectly happy to spend it in my car while charging - I thought of it like going to the laundromat, but with more comfort and privacy. Of course, it depends on how far the nearest charger is from your home, but that was my situation.