Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

View attachment 764281

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
Wonderful comparisons and very insightful.
I do not like Tesla Y as much as I thought. I picked up my Tesla Y less than a month ago. The interior is rather disappointing and spartan, too dark and inconvenient that everything needs to go to the monitor, in particular when you are driving.
Most concerning, sudden jerking when setting the cruise control, a major safety hazard.
Tesla needs good competition, the company culture is rather arrogant, in my view with total non-human touches and lack of customer services, in general, when compared to MB or BMW.
One note, I heard that Ioniq takes only 15 minutes to recharge to 80% but Tesla takes 45 minutes. Very much behind the curve, if accurate.
Thanks for your info.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor
I do not like Tesla Y as much as I thought. I picked up my Tesla Y less than a month ago. The interior is rather disappointing and spartan, too dark and inconvenient that everything needs to go to the monitor, in particular when you are driving.
Most concerning, sudden jerking when setting the cruise control, a major safety hazard.
Tesla needs good competition, the company culture is rather arrogant, in my view with total non-human touches and lack of customer services, in general, when compared to MB or BMW.
One note, I heard that Ioniq takes only 15 minutes to recharge to 80% but Tesla takes 45 minutes. Very much behind the curve, if accurate.
Thanks for your info.
That is not at all accurate. The Ioniq 5 is faster charging, but nothing like you say: https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custo...d-v3-sc-dcfc-soc-time-comparison-20210512.png

Reactions: mangrove79
Thanks for your info.
Apparently you didn't drive one - or even look at one - before you bought?

Reactions: tm1v2
Minor thing, but the Tesla does have a coat hook, next to the rear side passenger light. It pops out when you push it. One on each side.
Refresh Model S's do have hooks, but prior refresh do not. There were a few years you could buy and aftermarket hook you could put on the seat back, but then they changed the seats and my version doesn't allow for that. So value your hooks! Haha!

Apparently you didn't drive one - or even look at one - before you bought?
There's an entire thread dedicated to people who bought Tesla's without driving one, in some cases without even being inside one. It is a thing...

I drove the Ioniq 5 this weekend (as well as the Volvo XC40 Recharge and Mach-E). I drove a limited - and thought it drove really well - I liked it much better than the MY. I thought it performed as well, handled better and was more quiet and comfortable. Just personal preference - but I thought it's really well done.

I am looking forward to looking at an EV6 when they get here (supposed to be a couple at my local dealer in a week or so).

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan and Ormond
There's an entire thread dedicated to people who bought Tesla's without driving one, in some cases without even being inside one. It is a thing...

Basically nobody who bought a Model Y within the first 6 months of them being available test drove one because they weren't available to test drive.

I'm in that category. I looked at the model 3 and compared, and spoke with colleagues who had Teslas but there's no way I could have test driven a MY before I bought it. Even now the local Tesla dealers sell every one they get.

Basically nobody who bought a Model Y within the first 6 months of them being available test drove one because they weren't available to test drive.

I'm in that category. I looked at the model 3 and compared, and spoke with colleagues who had Teslas but there's no way I could have test driven a MY before I bought it. Even now the local Tesla dealers sell every one they get.
Technically there is no "local Tesla dealers" and every car they have was ordered by someone.

I got no pressure on anything from Chevy for my Bolt. So far the local Hyundai dealer is playing ball. I told them what I wanted and have not been pushed at all for ups or extras. I have a price and will stick to it. I expect to see them for tire rotations (two annually?) and an inspection. Again, easier to do this locally than 60-70 mile away.

I wish I were closer to an SC. Those of you who are, congrats! Someday for this area as well.

I got no pressure on anything from Chevy for my Bolt. So far the local Hyundai dealer is playing ball. I told them what I wanted and have not been pushed at all for ups or extras. I have a price and will stick to it. I expect to see them for tire rotations (two annually?) and an inspection. Again, easier to do this locally than 60-70 mile away.

I wish I were closer to an SC. Those of you who are, congrats! Someday for this area as well.
Tire rotations and inspections can be done anywhere. Not trying to pressure you to get a Tesla, the Ioniq 5 is super cool. I just don't get this argument.

The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.
Regarding this point, from what I’ve read, these things handle 240v just fine if you use a plug adapter. We could argue as to whether that’s safe, legal, etc - but my understanding is the actual guts of the mobile evse included are the same as what’s used abroad in 230v countries.

Overall cool car, but I think overall what would sway me from buying one is dealing with a Hyundai dealer. Car dealers are bad enough, but Hyundai and Kia dealers are on another level of awfulness. Then for people in my parents’ generation, I think getting over their reputation from the 90s is very tough.

Last edited:
Consider this from my perspective: I live in a part of Pennsylvania where there is no nearby service center. My choices for service or repair are limited. If I hit a deer or need a serious repair, there’s no loaner available. Ioniq comes with two years of free EA charging, and I already have a charging station at home. To add insult to all this, my state’s laws won’t let Tesla inspect my car and put a sticker on it. So I’m buying a Hyundai
I live near Scranton PA, not far from you and I have 2 Tesla's.
Don't be so sure that the Hyundai dealer will give you a loaner even for warranty repair, times have changed
So you can't leave the SC with an inspection sticker and need to go to a state inspection center (you have 10 days to get this done). Other than the fact that you leave the "dealer" without a sticker the initial time how is this different from any other vehicle?
Have fun with those EA chargers.

Consider this from my perspective: I live in a part of Pennsylvania where there is no nearby service center. My choices for service or repair are limited. If I hit a deer or need a serious repair, there’s no loaner available. Ioniq comes with two years of free EA charging, and I already have a charging station at home. To add insult to all this, my state’s laws won’t let Tesla inspect my car and put a sticker on it. So I’m buying a Hyundai.
Technically the state laws don’t prevent Tesla from inspecting it. The state law simply requires all inspection stations be able to inspect all passenger vehicles. Tesla doesn’t want to do that.

Not really a big deal to just get it inspected at a shop you trust tho