Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I test drove an AWD SEL Ioniq 5 and really liked it, mainly do to the comfy ride, quiet cabin, and nice seats with plenty of room. I wish it had the decent sized frunk and that big storage under the floor in the rear like the Model Y has. As mentioned, the big problem now are the dealer markups which vary by location. Here, the typical markup for the Limited is $10K though some dealers charge less for an SEL. I think I could have talked down a couple of dealers to $5K for a Limited, but that's still way too much for my taste. It's a first year car but I was willing to give it a chance due to the great warranty, which starts with 5 yrs, 60K miles overall, and 10 yrs, 100K for the power train and battery.

One funny experience I had with one dealer was when he explained his markup he said it included a $2K value "protection package". That package included a "protective" undercoating, plus seat and paint "protection". I couldn't believe they are still pushing undercoating, especially on that car which includes a 7 yr, 100K mile rust warranty. Plus there is a good chance such "protection" could void that Hyundai rust warranty. In the past I heard stories of the "protection" making rust more likely due to blocking drainage holes on the bottom of the car. I wonder what an undercoat could do to a battery? And what are the seat and paint "protection"? For the leatherette seats it's probably a wipe of Armor All and for the paint maybe a "protective" spray in a car wash. The dealer model really sucks, IMO, especially in the purchase of a new or used car.
Ioniq 5 0-60mph in 4.4s according to motortrend.

Reactions: Daekwan
More like 5.1
Either way It’s got plenty of oomph for most people and is faster than the majority of cars on the road. My wife typically drives our Odyssey and loves driving the Tesla. The A4 I used to drive could supposedly do 0-60 in the mid 5’s but the Tesla still feels faster and zippier. The instant low-end torque and smoother torque curve make for a much better experience.

Reactions: Daekwan and WhiteWi
The thing that gets me with the 5 is its wheelbase. It's shape like a hot hatch yet its got the wheelbase of a grand suv, which kind of makes it an oddball. It's gonna handle like a boat, will not be nimble, and yet its got a lot less interior storage space vs a Y.

Reactions: WhiteWi
From kia ev6 first drive

Kia estimates a 5.1-second 0-60-mph time, likely conservative given the 4.4-second sprint our test team recorded from an equally powerful Ioniq 5.

The Kia will certainly appeal to those who don’t ‘get’ the minimalist interior of a Tesla. That fighter jet look of being surrounded by physical controls is very important to almost every anti Tesla person who criticizes my car

The frunk is just about large enough to carry your sandwich and chips for lunch.
Also rear under floor storage is lame.
Sounds like the new S refresh. Not that I need it it but compared to the Y there is so much less room in the frunk and under the rear trunk cover compared to the Y. Only 1 smaller compartment under the cover plus you lose the right cubby hole.

Put a deposit last summer on the Ionic5 as the plan was to get one for my wife. Changed my mind and purchased the S for myself and my wife now drives the Y. She is still struggling with the controls but getting there one step at a time. Showed her voice commands yesterday which helped for a few things. Not that easy for all to use a central screen and can see why so many want more fixed buttons as in conventional design.

Last edited:
The thing that gets me with the 5 is its wheelbase. It's shape like a hot hatch yet its got the wheelbase of a grand suv, which kind of makes it an oddball. It's gonna handle like a boat, will not be nimble, and yet its got a lot less interior storage space vs a Y.
Well, Tesla has had 10-plus to work on packaging. This is Kia/Hyundai's first real EV, so it will take some time to clean everything up (see: Mustang Mach E).

Its cool dude. I get what you are saying. And I agree.. the Supercharger network is the best charging network. Its the biggest, its the most reliable, its the cheapest/easiest/most convenient to use.

That said, I can't imagine EA's network is that horrible where it's basically unusable. If anything here you go.. 2000 miles of driving cross country.. in a Model S Plaid (which makes it even crazier).. and pretty much exclusively using EA's CCS network. All with basically no issues whatsoever.

You guys might want to start re-thinking.. just how bad you think EA's charging network might be. Or at least find some new Youtube videos to watch.

This is good news for all of us. For every EV owner. The more charging networks, the better. EV chargers should be as common as gas stations in the next 10 years.. and Im rooting for EA.. just like Im rooting for Superchargers and everybody else who wants to build a charger. The more the merrier!

Encouraging but I’d worry about battery damage and voided warranty unless this is certified by Tesla. It would be great if Tesla released their own or certified this.

Tesla Superchargers are currently the best option for fast charging. But - to be fair, those also have occasional problems. I just looked at a few Superchargers around me and saw quite a few non-op reports and checkins. if you’re on a road trip - how do you locate chargers in a Tesla?
View attachment 767027
I do prefer the more real time updates with the supercharger network rather than relying on someone checking in. But of course if there is damage done to the stall like a cut off cable, the supercharger update may be inaccurate.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Encouraging but I’d worry about battery damage and voided warranty unless this is certified by Tesla. It would be great if Tesla released their own or certified this.
💯 And of course, the ones available now are over $600 while the Tesla adapter is supposed to be priced similarly to the South Korea version which is $250. I check a couple times each day to see if it's available yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan and SO16