Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I figured out why Model S browser MCU1 will never work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whitex,
From what I've read the emmc usually fails after 4 years or longer depending on mileage. My car is only 2 1/2 years old and very low mileage. Really doubt the emmc is failing. Guess if it fails in the next 1 1/2 years I get a new one under warranty. If it fails after that I would just do the $2500 MCU2 upgrade, begrudgingly because of losing the AM/FM radio. Hell, if you didn't lose the radios I might have done it just to get the faster browser. But getting a couple games (never will use) and faster browser while losing radio is NOT worth $2500, maybe $500 or do the extra work required to keep the radio and charge $1500

whitex,
From what I've read the emmc usually fails after 4 years or longer depending on mileage. My car is only 2 1/2 years old and very low mileage. Really doubt the emmc is failing. Guess if it fails in the next 1 1/2 years I get a new one under warranty. If it fails after that I would just do the $2500 MCU2 upgrade, begrudgingly because of losing the AM/FM radio. Hell, if you didn't lose the radios I might have done it just to get the faster browser. But getting a couple games (never will use) and faster browser while losing radio is NOT worth $2500, maybe $500 or do the extra work required to keep the radio and charge $1500
I wasn't saying your emmc is failing, rather that if it's over half way to death and therefore much slower than when it was new. As cells wear and as the emmc fills up, it will slow down as the chip firmware has to do more for every write to wear level. The new emmc I put in my car should fail in 140 years if I extrapolate the fact this the original lasted almost 5 years. Why bother with such an overkill? Because for the next 14 years I want it to have the same performance as my original emmc had in the first 6 months of its life. :)

Reactions: EV-Fixme
whitex,

We have had some fail in 2 years, not as often but does happen.

I wasn't saying your emmc is failing, rather that if it's over half way to death and therefore much slower than when it was new. As cells wear and as the emmc fills up, it will slow down as the chip firmware has to do more for every write to wear level. The new emmc I put in my car should fail in 140 years if I extrapolate the fact this the original lasted almost 5 years. Why bother with such an overkill? Because for the next 14 years I want it to have the same performance as my original emmc had in the first 6 months of its life. :)

Totally, new emmc is so much faster! And for longer duration.

Thanks. At what point will they replace my mcu under warranty? I mean if it is slow and half dead, can I get them to replace it or does it have to be totally bricked dead?
So far all reports from members here say it has to be totally bricked. I inquired about browser not working before my warranty ended, I was told it's a known issue and some future update will fix it - standard Tesla line for "no fix available which would be covered by warranty".

I brought up the browser issue during my last service visit a few months back. What they did they reset all buffers and histories. But that didn’t help much. The browser is still mostly useless.

I have pretty much given up on it. Planning to upgrade to MCU2.

Used to work for me in MCU1. Now after V9, even on MCU2, it's more useless than it's ever been. Not missing much there.
That is very surprising. The browser in my 3 is very usable though on the rare occasions that I am parked long enough to use it, I much prefer Netflix or YouTube. I do plan to spend the $2500 to update my 12/2016 S to MCU2 regardless, but can’t understand why the browser wouldn’t work as well as the one in my 3.

whitex,
Most owners don’t own two Teslas to compare MCU1 vs MCU2, but as one who does I am spending the money for much faster map response more than any other benefit. (Netflix, YouTube and a usable browser are nice, but I don’t think many of us use those features much — unless one is living in the car.) Of course $2500 is a lot of coin. Hopefully I am avoiding the dreaded “emmc” failure on my 12/2016 or else the expenditure is probably a bit of a waste of money.

That is very surprising. The browser in my 3 is very usable though on the rare occasions that I am parked long enough to use it, I much prefer Netflix or YouTube. I do plan to spend the $2500 to update my 12/2016 S to MCU2 regardless, but can’t understand why the browser wouldn’t work as well as the one in my 3.
1. Doesn't support split screen to leave a web app running while doing other things.
2. Actually kills the page when you switch away now, so when you switch back to it requires you to allow location access/etc again.
3. Lately, it hasn't even been loading some pages. No status, no error, URL bar still shows old page - simply nothing happens.

Most owners don’t own two Teslas to compare MCU1 vs MCU2, but as one who does I am spending the money for much faster map response more than any other benefit. (Netflix, YouTube and a usable browser are nice, but I don’t think many of us use those features much — unless one is living in the car.) Of course $2500 is a lot of coin. Hopefully I am avoiding the dreaded “emmc” failure on my 12/2016 or else the expenditure is probably a bit of a waste of money.
Our Model 3 screen is much more responsive than my Model S 2017 screen.

It’s like comparing a new iPad with an iPad 2 on some things.

Having said that, the MCU1 screen in my Model S is still streets ahead of other car screens I’ve suffered. Browser-wise I’ve never considered the Model S browser more than a novelty. I see the screen more as an in-car controller, music player, and Nav-on-steroids. It does these things well.

But, using the Model 3 screen is a joy. And the voice control is more responsive than my Model S.

would I spend money on upgrading my MCU1? No, the improvements for MCU2 are great, but I’ll be getting a new Tesla in a couple of years and I think what I have is good enough.

Ok, update to my thinking guys. So I got in the loaner today to go pick up my car. The browser that worked perfectly in the old no autopilot, no fsd, no dashcam, no rtt, mcu1 car now doesn't work at all either, just like my newer car. So just sitting overnight somehow killed the browser. So I double scroll rebooted it and guess what, after 20 minutes it still didn't connect to 3G. So old cars have a bigger issue I guess. Then I got my car and on the service invoice it said the browser is fine, worked fine, customer goes to websites that use a lot of data and slow it down. Well, LOL. So they had to keep my car an extra day because it took like 6 tries to get the firmware to stick, same thing happened a half year ago when replacing a faulty camera. Anyhow, so I picked it up and tried the browser, it worked fine for about 2 pages and then completely died again until double reboot. So my guess is either the software is just broken or Tesla may just stop the browser once you use X amount of data to save on LTE fees. I have grandfathered unlimited though. I mean if the issue is the browser used a lot of data for a webpage, well the solution is, DUH FLUSH THE MEMORY BUFFER AFTER EVERY WEBPAGE LOAD. ARE YOU SEEING THIS ELON OR ANY ENGINEERS?

Reactions: Messagepads