Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So:

Auto Lane Change
Navigate on AP
Summon
Auto park

Those are fantasy features? It appears you got burned by Tesla somewhere and somehow. But you’re just being irrational to claim a buyer gets nothing if they buy today’s FSD offering. It’s one thing to argue it’s value, but arguing it’s existence is just weird.

EAP had those features to justify the additional $2k in price. So now you have to pay for FSD to get those really basic and arguable low value features, that is what you are paying for today and all you get now. Mostly "fluff features". I have EAP and find all of those features pretty useless for $2K. If the car could safely drive itself I would pay $7K but by that time it would make more sense to buy a new car with a new pack tech and hardware improvements. Let's see what and when people actually get for their $7K. I use the above features basically, never. I can park better than Auto Park "when" it works, I already have to touch the wheel to change lanes so Navigate on AP / Auto Lane change is just a toy that needs babysitting. Summon has very few practical uses that can easily be forgotten. So until there is a full FSD system that does not require me to babysit it's just money better invested elsewhere. Like I said before, anyone that believes full FSD will arrive soon is just justifying their purchase or sees huge value in these marginal features. Believers in FSD arriving translates to Tesla success so that $7k in Tesla stock could likely buy one a new Tesla with that feature by the time it arrives. I know where my $7k is gaining value. Tesla should have a marketplace where you can sell feature to other owners and they can take a cut, I would sell my EAP if I could net $500. LO-L more revenue for that $7K in stock to rise.

Autopark I agree doesn't work that well.

Auto Lane change is great, a recent update made it work really fast instead of the slow change previously. Plus you can turn off the need to confirm the Lane change if you want.

Summon has gotten a lot better but they got a ways to go from a simple gimmick .

NOA works well for me but I have missed two interchanges a couple of times, less than driving myself lol. Many things could be improved and improvements come out all the time. I don't regret purchasing the FSD package.

Because changing lanes is very difficult when you already have to have your hand on the wheel. Funny

Pretty crazy how they includes deaths there that really had nothing to do with Tesla. Like the one guy was driving a Nissan and loss control which pretty much endangered every car on the road because he swerved left and then back right but they noted a Tesla was behind and hit some of the debris from the Nissan but safely came to a stop on the median. Not sure why Tesla would be included in that death toll. The guy in the Nissan died from losing control of his vehicle, nothing else.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Pretty crazy how they includes deaths there that really had nothing to do with Tesla. Like the one guy was driving a Nissan and loss control which pretty much endangered every car on the road because he swerved left and then back right but they noted a Tesla was behind and hit some of the debris from the Nissan but safely came to a stop on the median. Not sure why Tesla would be included in that death toll. The guy in the Nissan died from losing control of his vehicle, nothing else.

This is a TSLAQ troll site for fear mongering shorts. Don't give them the clicks and indexing.

They explain on the website why they included the crashes where deaths were not caused by the Tesla. "NHTSA death statistics cited by Elon Musk do not differentiate between at-fault and not-at-fault. All manufacturers are treated the same way. For the purposes of calculating Tesla fatalities in accordance with NHTSA methodology,"

Because changing lanes is very difficult when you already have to have your hand on the wheel. Funny

It not that it's very difficult but just taping the turn signal and having the car do it automatically is pretty damn cool.

I will say though... it is damn annoying if after you tap it and the car starts switching lanes but then it thinks it sees a car speeding up in the lane you're switching too so it swerves back into your original lane... damn annoying.. but over all pretty awesome

Tesla is rewriting the self driving software! That low percentage bet, expensive, ill- fated, evolving promise chance of feature-complete now is a real 0...and unlike normal donations this one cannot be tax deducted. Ouch.

I've been cheated by Tesla too many times. The products might be interesting, but their ethics are questionable at best. I'm out.

In this case a prompt refund offer should be extended along with some apologies.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
It not that it's very difficult but just taping the turn signal and having the car do it automatically is pretty damn cool.

I will say though... it is damn annoying if after you tap it and the car starts switching lanes but then it thinks it sees a car speeding up in the lane you're switching too so it swerves back into your original lane... damn annoying.. but over all pretty awesome

More importantly, I think it makes Autopilot “seamless”. Without the autolanechanging, you have to disengage autopilot and reengage at each lane change. With it, I can stay on Autopilot for - quite literally - hours at a time. It makes the entire package very fluid. If I were to drive another Tesla without FSD, it’d feel very incomplete.

Reactions: JeffnReno
I had a 2016 Model S with FSD until December 2019. I got a Model 3 without FSD in February of this year. The only feature I used sometimes on the MS that I don’t have on the M3 is lane change using the turn stalk, and only because it was easier than exiting and then reengaging AP. However, within a few minutes of driving my M3 I had already adjusted to this and it isn’t an issue at all any longer. I am so happy I didn’t waste $7,000 on FSD this time around. They would have to release completely automated driving for me to think it would be worth that price, and I don’t see that happening during the term of my M3 lease which ends in early 2023.

I had a 2016 Model S with FSD until December 2019. I got a Model 3 without FSD in February of this year. The only feature I used sometimes on the MS that I don’t have on the M3 is lane change using the turn stalk, and only because it was easier than exiting and then reengaging AP. However, within a few minutes of driving my M3 I had already adjusted to this and it isn’t an issue at all any longer. I am so happy I didn’t waste $7,000 on FSD this time around. They would have to release completely automated driving for me to think it would be worth that price, and I don’t see that happening during the term of my M3 lease which ends in early 2023.
I’ll be using my P3D+ as the bellwether on this since the price was right.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I did not buy FSD because my driving has little use for it but the offer always seemed pretty clear:

Lock in now for a lower price than later when it is more developed. The tricky part here is that every person has a different opinion of when later has to arrive. I suppose my take would be that so long as Tesla is making its best effort at R&D there is little to complain about.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I don’t see them being able to charge much over $7k for what is effectively a software upgrade on a car with a base price <$40,000. I may be wrong, but even for someone like me where I usually just buy the best version of whatever I’m buying regardless of cost, $7k was already way too much for what is reasonably likely to be released over the next 3 years.

I did not buy FSD because my driving has little use for it but the offer always seemed pretty clear:

Lock in now for a lower price than later when it is more developed. The tricky part here is that every person has a different opinion of when later has to arrive. I suppose my take would be that so long as Tesla is making its best effort at R&D there is little to complain about.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I don’t see them being able to charge much over $7k for what is effectively a software upgrade on a car with a base price <$40,000. I may be wrong, but even for someone like me where I usually just buy the best version of whatever I’m buying regardless of cost, $7k was already way too much for what is reasonably likely to be released over the next 3 years.
Agreed. I just can’t see the entirety of the suite going over 10K like it is now (bAP is $3,000 independently)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110