Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real problem with buying a promised software today is the FSD is not a normal software license that you can install and use on different vehicles. It is linked to the car! If anything happens to the car, while waiting for the promised land you loose the "license" without ever had a chance to use it. A pretty hard pill to swallow in my book.
And what about salvage value? $7k value of the car, who gets that if the car is written off? I doubt the software could be any less functional even after the most comprehensive accident damage.

To be clear, Elon himself was very clear on what "feature complete" means, on TWO occasions.

And each of them contradicted the other :D

This is the fundamental issue IMO. If the goalposts move how do you assess the value of the product? How can I tell if I am getting what I (or the previous owner) paid for? The way FSD was advertised in 2017 and early 2018 is not the same way it is advertised now so what definition do I go by? Even the term "feature complete" is ambiguous... does that mean it is done and won't get better? Does that mean that all of the features are there but not perfect? How good does it have to work to be sufficiently good for what I paid? What if the current suite of sensors and cameras can never actually provide those features at a reasonable level of autonomy? How many HW upgrades am I entitled to having purchased FSD? Do I get HW4 or HW5 for free? Do I get better cameras for free if they are required to truly implement FSD?

This whole concept just invites trouble. It is a hell of a fun car to drive, which is why I got one, but I don't care for the way they handle FSD at all.

Unnecessary lane changes, random slowdowns and hard braking events due to over reliance on GPS data (NoAP)

I agree, that's really worth the $2k. The random braking is very fun and happens more than my much older S. AP has come a long way. Now rather that drive many hours with my hands off the wheel I have to deal with nags and not just the one in the passenger seat.

Is that statement true?

Tesla_Model3_DesignStudio_5.png

It sure looks like that's what it said and it sure looks like someone could pay $3000 for it! My car was ordered in early 2018, I am not the original owner so I don't know what it said when they bought it but it certainly said that at some point.

Clean Technica article is still available if you want to read it for yourself.

Full Article

It clearly says "in the future." Therefore my comment is correct - they did not tell you it would do it at the time of purchase. They said it would be coming in the future.

It's a horrible feature that is unpredictable. In addition you need your hand on the wheel and I can do a better job with less effort and stress.

I disagree based on my experience. I use auto lane change daily during my 65 mile highway commute and it's very smooth and precise. Lne changes in NoA work well too but not as nice because the car is more conservative and will slow down to find an opening rather than speeding up to find one.

Reactions: focher
I took my P3D+ out for a two-hour shakedown ride on the highway and I had so much fun that I realized that I will seldom use FSD - no matter how cool it is. The reason is that this is indeed a driver's car - and I consider myself to be a car snob having owned Porsche, BMW and Benz - and having driven them, shall we say, with spirit.

The thing that was most surprising was an immediate sense of trust. The car is easy to predict, even on wet roads, it corners like a champ and powers out of turns like a supercar. This is to say nothing of the 0-100 mph performance. The car is eager to please, rock-solid and confident. I am looking forward to getting it out to the track to see what 160+ mph feels like

Anyhoo - After I got back from my ride, I noticed two things. 1. I didn't use the FSD features once. 2. My face hurt from smiling.

Now I know longtime Tesla owners are like - "yeah, no $h!t, welcome to the club newbie." But please allow a newbie a few more weeks of fanboyish exuberance before it all settles down and I find something to complain about.

Autopilot is an absolute God-send when in bumper to bumper traffic, I use it all the time during traffic and I'll throw it on for a minute or so at a time when I need to split my attention slightly to change the music, or get my sunglasses, etc. Super useful, you will not regret it.

I’ve had 3 Tesla Performance Model’s starting with P90D and 2 P3D’s. For my lifestyle ,very little Highway , TACC is great and I’ve never wanted FSD. I had it for then trial but meh. It would be great if it followed the owner than the car as my last 3 is a lease and next is a Y , Plaid X, and Cybertruck which might be the only one I get it on as I will keep that Long term. It’ll also will be very seasoned in 2 years ...

A monthly subscription offered on FSD could be A great income stream

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I couldn’t imagine owning a Tesla without the FSD. FSD is what it’s all about, the dream. It’s lots of fun and very helpful on highways. Read the Tesla business plan, everything thought unachieveable back then has come through so far, so why doubt FSD now?

Reactions: JeffnReno
Autopilot is an absolute God-send when in bumper to bumper traffic, I use it all the time during traffic and I'll throw it on for a minute or so at a time when I need to split my attention slightly to change the music, or get my sunglasses, etc. Super useful, you will not regret it.

very good point. I forget about that. Now that is probably the best feature atm. Tesla should have locked that to NOA so it would make NOA more worth it.

I’ve had 3 Tesla Performance Model’s starting with P90D and 2 P3D’s. For my lifestyle ,very little Highway , TACC is great and I’ve never wanted FSD. I had it for then trial but meh. It would be great if it followed the owner than the car as my last 3 is a lease and next is a Y , Plaid X, and Cybertruck which might be the only one I get it on as I will keep that Long term. It’ll also will be very seasoned in 2 years ...

A monthly subscription offered on FSD could be A great income stream

Yeah you probably never wanted it because it mainly works on highway driving atm and you do very little so it doesn't make much sense for you.

Reactions: Sg911
very good point. I forget about that. Now that is probably the best feature atm. Tesla should have locked that to NOA so it would make NOA more worth it.
If there’s anything Tesla should do it’s add lane change by turn signal to basic so it’s like AP1 in functionality. This as well as going back to unbundling would be great.

FSD is actually very handy and I am sure one day you will use it. There are some days you feel like relaxing and just want to put the car on FSD and drive. I like it very much during stop and go traffic. Don't forget it is also a great brag in front of friends LOL
Also a side note: the updates feel like Christmas gift, once you get new updates on the FSD, you can't wait to get in the car and try it out!

I'm wondering if the AutoSteer works better on cars with the FSD? Because it basically doesn't work much at all on the Autopilot. Whenever there is the slightest curve in the road it turns off. My Model 3 doesn't stay on for more than a few moments if the road is not completely straight. Does it work better n FSD?

I have to say that the AutoSteer worked Awesome on my 2018 Volvo XC90 and never shut off - Always kept me centered on the lane, even with the highway curves.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC