Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is actually very handy and I am sure one day you will use it. There are some days you feel like relaxing and just want to put the car on FSD and drive. I like it very much during stop and go traffic. Don't forget it is also a great brag in front of friends LOL
Also a side note: the updates feel like Christmas gift, once you get new updates on the FSD, you can't wait to get in the car and try it out!

Are you on a beta? You and a few others here seem to be the only ones that have access to FSD. How does it handle intersections and turns at traffic lights? LOL.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Are you on a beta? You and a few others here seem to be the only ones that have access to FSD. How does it handle intersections and turns at traffic lights? LOL.
According to the service center, we’re all on beta and stuff like phantom braking, random quits or speed increases and decreases, map errors, and occasionally the red hands of death are all part of the program.

• Funny
Reactions: LittleBlue
It clearly says "in the future." Therefore my comment is correct - they did not tell you it would do it at the time of purchase. They said it would be coming in the future.

Musk said "feature complete" by the end of last year, now it is supposedly coming "soon". If it was promised to do that "in the future" when purchased, and it is "feature complete" now (or soon), then it should do as promised to do (in the future) when you purchased it... that is my point. How can you call it "feature complete" full self driving if it doesn't do what FSD was promised to do (in the future) at the time of purchase?

Last edited:
Musk said "feature complete" by the end of last year, now it is supposedly coming "soon". If it was promised to do that "in the future" when purchased, and it is "feature complete" now (or soon), then it should do as promised to do (in the future) when you purchased it... that is my point. How can you call it "feature complete" full self driving if it doesn't do what FSD was promised to do (in the future) at the time of purchase?

He promised feature complete. That should be good enough for you. If you own a Tesla you should not have any opinion that defies the great one behind the curtain.

I'm wondering if the AutoSteer works better on cars with the FSD? Because it basically doesn't work much at all on the Autopilot. Whenever there is the slightest curve in the road it turns off. My Model 3 doesn't stay on for more than a few moments if the road is not completely straight.

You should make a service appointment. My non-FSD SR+ follows curves like a champ on AutoSteer.

I paid $3000 for EAP and I am perfectly happy with that. I use autopilot and driver initiated auto lane change a lot during long highway drives. But I find autopilot to be dangerous on construction zone lane shift. So you always have to be alert and don't over-trust your car.
I almost never use summon because I enjoy the 200 ft walk and I don't enjoy watching the paint dry ;).
NAP is OK 80% of the time. Sometimes it waits too long to merge to lanes for next interchange exit and eventually misses the interchange.
I am in software engineering profession since 1995 and for last three years I am working on Machine Learning space (not in automobile industry). I think FSD is still years away. By the time FSD comes into reality, I will no longer own my current Tesla for sure. To me, spending a dime now on a feature that I will never use is pointless.
I think Tesla should make FSD software transferable. So if you buy the software for your current Tesla and want to use on a new Tesla on the future, you can disable it on one car and enable it on another one.
Tesla can also make FSD software subscription based. So you pay for the service only when you need to use it.

My Model 3 Long Range AWD is 6 months old, and I too am still grinning. While FSD capable, I haven't bought the upgrade yet. Maybe next year. My commute is short and my road trips infrequent, but I do find myself acting a bit ridiculous behind the wheel on the highway. The acceleration, you see. Anybody want to buy a cherry SAAB Aero? I love her, but I'm done with her.

I took my P3D+ out for a two-hour shakedown ride on the highway and I had so much fun that I realized that I will seldom use FSD - no matter how cool it is. The reason is that this is indeed a driver's car - and I consider myself to be a car snob having owned Porsche, BMW and Benz - and having driven them, shall we say, with spirit.

The thing that was most surprising was an immediate sense of trust. The car is easy to predict, even on wet roads, it corners like a champ and powers out of turns like a supercar. This is to say nothing of the 0-100 mph performance. The car is eager to please, rock-solid and confident. I am looking forward to getting it out to the track to see what 160+ mph feels like

Anyhoo - After I got back from my ride, I noticed two things. 1. I didn't use the FSD features once. 2. My face hurt from smiling.

Now I know longtime Tesla owners are like - "yeah, no $h!t, welcome to the club newbie." But please allow a newbie a few more weeks of fanboyish exuberance before it all settles down and I find something to complain about.
I took my P3D+ out for a two-hour shakedown ride on the highway and I had so much fun that I realized that I will seldom use FSD - no matter how cool it is. The reason is that this is indeed a driver's car - and I consider myself to be a car snob having owned Porsche, BMW and Benz - and having driven them, shall we say, with spirit.

The thing that was most surprising was an immediate sense of trust. The car is easy to predict, even on wet roads, it corners like a champ and powers out of turns like a supercar. This is to say nothing of the 0-100 mph performance. The car is eager to please, rock-solid and confident. I am looking forward to getting it out to the track to see what 160+ mph feels like

Anyhoo - After I got back from my ride, I noticed two things. 1. I didn't use the FSD features once. 2. My face hurt from smiling.

Now I know longtime Tesla owners are like - "yeah, no $h!t, welcome to the club newbie." But please allow a newbie a few more weeks of fanboyish exuberance before it all settles down and I find something to complain about.
I’ll bet the shorters never bought a Tesla. If they had they would have know : the product is just too good to fail.

at this point, given that fsd is now years away (likely), they should a-la-carte the options and let people buy what they want.

higher customer satisfaction, that way. loss of 'face' for elon, maybe, but is that a good enough reason to NOT offer options, separately? at least in reasonable groupings; and no, 'all or nothing' is not a reasonable set of choices.

5 month in and I still get a huge grin on my face when accelerating onto the freeway! :D

As for FSD as it is now, I use it sporadically but like OP @WarEagleX I prefer to enjoy the driving experience. I do find it very helpful for stop and go traffic (happens often on my commute across bridges) and it's very handy on small stretches where I want to figure out something on the map or with a passenger. Just an extra convenience I never had with an ICE car (last car was an '07).

Since you're in Cumming, GA I think you'll find plenty of use for FSD when you're stuck in rush hour traffic headed to Atlanta on I-85. I didn't opt for FSD on my 2020 Model 3 but Autopilot has made a huge difference for me in Atlanta (I live in Peachtree Corners). Thankfully, I just retired so I can plan my drives around traffic. BTW, War Eagle back at you. I'm class of 1972!

It's hard to have a discussion about FSD without clarifying what is being referenced. When Tesla discontinued EAP, they split some functionality into standard AP and other functionality plus anything new into FSD. It would be better to use the SAE nomenclature to be more consistent.

1. AP "Today" - Level 2 autonomy
2. EAP "Yesterday" - Level 2 + some Level 3 autonomy
3. FSD "Yesterday" - Promise of Level 4 or Level 5 autonomy
4. FSD "Today" - Level 2 + some Level 3 autonomy with the promise of Level 4 or Level 5 autonomy some point in the future

I find the EAP functionality, which is now FSD functionality, to be very useful. I use Autosteer, lane changing, and Navigate on Autopilot to all be great contributors to more relaxed driving across a number of driving situations I'm in.

I came to this thread to see if FSD is worth my $4000. I bought my car in 2018 when FSD was not being offered and only EAP was there for $5000 purchase. Right now in EAP, I have almost all features as FSD, like NAV, Smart Summon, Autopark, Adaptive cruise and Auto steering. So, I was thinking if it is worth spending $4000 upgrade for FSD, which I do not know if it adds anything new today only for a promise to get some features in future. Reading through the posts it looks like not. Though I am glad I bought EAP as I use that often on long trips or freeways. Just not sure if FSD will give me marginal benefit worth $4000.

I came to this thread to see if FSD is worth my $4000. I bought my car in 2018 when FSD was not being offered and only EAP was there for $5000 purchase. Right now in EAP, I have almost all features as FSD, like NAV, Smart Summon, Autopark, Adaptive cruise and Auto steering. So, I was thinking if it is worth spending $4000 upgrade for FSD, which I do not know if it adds anything new today only for a promise to get some features in future. Reading through the posts it looks like not. Though I am glad I bought EAP as I use that often on long trips or freeways. Just not sure if FSD will give me marginal benefit worth $4000.

FSD does nothing for you right now.

I paid $3000 for EAP and I am perfectly happy with that. I use autopilot and driver initiated auto lane change a lot during long highway drives. But I find autopilot to be dangerous on construction zone lane shift. So you always have to be alert and don't over-trust your car.
I almost never use summon because I enjoy the 200 ft walk and I don't enjoy watching the paint dry ;).
NAP is OK 80% of the time. Sometimes it waits too long to merge to lanes for next interchange exit and eventually misses the interchange.
I am in software engineering profession since 1995 and for last three years I am working on Machine Learning space (not in automobile industry). I think FSD is still years away. By the time FSD comes into reality, I will no longer own my current Tesla for sure. To me, spending a dime now on a feature that I will never use is pointless.
I think Tesla should make FSD software transferable. So if you buy the software for your current Tesla and want to use on a new Tesla on the future, you can disable it on one car and enable it on another one.
Tesla can also make FSD software subscription based. So you pay for the service only when you need to use it.

When did you buy your car. I had to pay $5000 for EAP. I find Tesla pricing ad marketing pretty random and looks like they decide based on the whim of Elon. One day the price is something another day its is something else. Not just pricing, whole AP/EAP/FSD were confusing. When I bought there was no FSD option, until recently I thought FSD is just a rebranding of EAP, as feature wise I had everything FSD advertises. But jut recently I saw an upgrade option in my app for FSD for $4000, when I knew I do not have FSD. It was confusing.