Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I might have sent myself to the back of the queue...... (spec change)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my M3P in Red/White in July. Had been mulling over the idea of changing the spec and not having what would be my 5th red car in a row. Was thinking blue, but saw a MSM/White in the metal today driving in Birmingham..... the pics online don’t do MSM justice do they. The metallic finish looks really good in the sunshine, a little more subtle than red.

I’ve emailed deliveryGB to see if i can amend my order to MSM/White, I’m not sure if i can. I hadn’t got a VIN or anything on red/white. I won’t be upset either way, but I’m guessing if they do change it I’m right to the back of the queue! Not that i had any clue where i was in the queue to begin with. Anyone changed their order via email, do they let you do it if you’ve not been VIN matched? Or do i just cancel and reorder?

Ordered my M3P in Red/White in July. Had been mulling over the idea of changing the spec and not having what would be my 5th red car in a row. Was thinking blue, but saw a MSM/White in the metal today driving in Birmingham..... the pics online don’t do MSM justice do they. The metallic finish looks really good in the sunshine, a little more subtle than red.

I’ve emailed deliveryGB to see if i can amend my order to MSM/White, I’m not sure if i can. I hadn’t got a VIN or anything on red/white. I won’t be upset either way, but I’m guessing if they do change it I’m right to the back of the queue! Not that i had any clue where i was in the queue to begin with. Anyone changed their order via email, do they let you do it if you’ve not been VIN matched? Or do i just cancel and reorder?

++I found to my cost that they just cannot handle the vast volume of emails they are receiving. Best is to drop into a shop and discuss it with them. I really do believe you drop down the queue.

Yeah was thinking about going in to be honest, Solihull is more or less on the way home from work, might pop in and see them when I get back from holiday.

I’ll be honest, if they said the red/white car had arrived or was nearly here I’d stick with it but I only ordered in July so it’s not like I was expecting a car soon anyway and I’ve never had a vin in the source code yet

I get the impression that there are individual queues for each hardware spec, variant, colours, wheels, tow etc - I don't think FSD makes any difference as its purely a software option

How each queue is prioritised is any ones guess. Tesla claim by reservation, then I suspect by order number - initial or reorder number is again a guess.

However, some people appear to have lucked in. Scottish grant seems to have been given priority in some cases - the grant only has a limited period of validity after it has been granted so I suspect that Tesla have prioritised to deliver within this period. Others seem to have possibly picked up orders delayed/rejected by others. Others I have no explanation of - I suspect a few random allocations have been made - early on, a whole load of allocations got pulled as some non reservation holders seemed to be getting priority on like for like orders with reservation holders. Just a guess, but I wonder if Tesla realised this and righted the matter.

So whether you have gone to back of the line depends on three things. Whether your new spec is more prolific than your old (anyones guess, although some options look very limited in numbers), whether your new order number is treated as same or worse, and just pure luck.

I changed my order to my benefit. Don’t worry about it.

Regarding the “last in the queue” worry, I changed my order from a M3 AWD to a P+ and got send a delivery window notification within about two weeks. I originally had 19” wheels ordered and would still be waiting for a delivery window for that car.

I believe that cars on boats are roughly preallocated, so you’re unlikely to skip ahead of someone in your ‘new’ queue and get a car already bound for the U.K. should you change your order now. You will only be delayed if you have a car is already on its way to the U.K., which is very unlikely from what you said.

I’ve heard stories of people ordering or changing their order and getting a near-immediate vehicle allocation, but that is probably when a third-party has refused delivery and they end up with a car in the U.K. that is unallocated.

I changed my order via email ([email protected]). You can ring Tesla or go to a store, but I was told that all the Tesla employees do is email that alias, so you are quicker to do it yourself. I was advised to email from my Tesla account email address so they don’t have to respond and get me to confirm identify. Of course, I didn’t receive an immediate confirmation. I email on 20 July and got a confirmation of change and new order agreement on 8 August. You probably have to email Tesla again and explicitly request an order change as your initial email sounds like a mere query.

As a third option, if you can take the £2k hit temporarily, you can order a second vehicle and postpone your decision and keep your places in the queue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I done the same. I reserved back in June 2017 and ordered on 1st May. Red LRAWD 19" black interior and standard autopilot. Never had a VIN assigned and was always told to wait another 4 weeks every time I called them (that was when we could actually get through to them).
I thought why not pay an extra £300 and go for white Performance black interior and standard autopilot and maybe get the more standard configuration quicker. so I sent them a mail 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. So I dont actually know what I will be getting now. Tried calling today and could not even get the usual "wait for your turn" message. Still no VIN..all very quiet for my liking.

I done the same. I reserved back in June 2017 and ordered on 1st May. Red LRAWD 19" black interior and standard autopilot. Never had a VIN assigned and was always told to wait another 4 weeks every time I called them (that was when we could actually get through to them).
I thought why not pay an extra £300 and go for white Performance black interior and standard autopilot and maybe get the more standard configuration quicker. so I sent them a mail 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. So I dont actually know what I will be getting now. Tried calling today and could not even get the usual "wait for your turn" message. Still no VIN..all very quiet for my liking.
You get an email saying your order has been updated and it will contain a new order agreement when they update your order on the system

Making changes, after your initial order, can make things very difficult for Tesla. If the car is already on the boat over, what are they supposed to do with your custom order, and how are they supposed to keep your place in line for a car they are just learning about.

The best they can do is take your request and look around their on the ground inventory. If they have an unassigned car with your new configuration they can do a swap and easily get your new choice to you.

If nothing falls into place, they must cancel your existing order and deal with having an unsold car on the boat over, and then manufacture a new car for you, starting from scratch.

Complications like these make it challenging for Tesla to have in place a hard policy. Each change order must be handled with respects to the reality of that individual situation.

To make things even more complicated, many countries have in flux their currency valuations and rebate schemes. If a governmental rebate is going away, Tesla will try to ship as many customers as possible, in that country, to save buyers as much $ as possible.

Sometimes, when a rebate goes away, Tesla will face a flood of order cancellations.

Not as easy as it may seem. Tesla has in house algorithms to give them guidance as to supply and demand matching, but when someone changes the color they want at the last moment it usually resolves to the local employees on the ground to keep everything flowing smoothly.

I switched to the same car, but with autopilot. I had no reservation and a later order date so I’m sure that you should be next for allocation when they [eventually] process your order change. Good luck! Please give me the double-handed Tesla wave when we drive by each other.

When I get the car I will be waving to everyone I think so there will be a good chance you will see me :D. Hope yours will not be too long.

Making changes, after your initial order, can make things very difficult for Tesla. If the car is already on the boat over, what are they supposed to do with your custom order, and how are they supposed to keep your place in line for a car they are just learning about.

Tesla have said that there are no custom orders for UK model 3 orders. Its all VIN allocated from the pool of cars that they have made. if you change your order, it frees up the car for someone else with same spec and you just join (in unknown position, but possibly reservation date and/or original order date) the queue for the new spec.

The best they can do is take your request and look around their on the ground inventory. If they have an unassigned car with your new configuration they can do a swap and easily get your new choice to you.

If nothing falls into place, they must cancel your existing order and deal with having an unsold car on the boat over, and then manufacture a new car for you, starting from scratch.

Complications like these make it challenging for Tesla to have in place a hard policy. Each change order must be handled with respects to the reality of that individual situation.

To make things even more complicated, many countries have in flux their currency valuations and rebate schemes. If a governmental rebate is going away, Tesla will try to ship as many customers as possible, in that country, to save buyers as much $ as possible.

Sometimes, when a rebate goes away, Tesla will face a flood of order cancellations.

Not as easy as it may seem. Tesla has in house algorithms to give them guidance as to supply and demand matching, but when someone changes the color they want at the last moment it usually resolves to the local employees on the ground to keep everything flowing smoothly.

Yes fully appreciate the problems Tesla may have with the logistics of people changing configurations though I tend to think that Tesla are responsible for this situation.
I am actually not that fussy about the colour or wheel looks, all I really need is long range and all wheel drive, the rest is a bonus. I only actually went for red because it's a multi coat and so would have a better resilience to weathering etc. Unfortunately it seems I had ordered a unicorn and there was no sight of when this may appear for me.

My mail to Tesla requested they contact me so we could discuss the change in configuration which could have resulted in Tesla quashing my concerns with delivery times, Maybe even informing me that my car is on it's way? and I would have stayed with my original configuration. Maybe, it would be a better option for Tesla to contact the customer to discuss this sort of thing?

Interestingly, my first call to Tesla after I placed my order back in May was a refreshing surprise to me, being greeted as "good morning Mr ...... How can i help you". I responded "how did you know it was me calling, I have never called you before". I was told " Everything is connected here" Brilliant response, unfortunately it seems the connections are not as strong as I had hoped as all subsequent calls were on a downward and dis-connected trend.
I am still hanging on here for a good ending to this :), but I am no sure how much more I need give Tesla for this wonderful car.

So, just to update the thread, I changed from red to MSM. It took Tesla a week to reply to the email, change went through yesterday and my account got updated. This morning I have a hidden vin. 472xxx. No idea what that means in terms of timing, but it feels marginally more real.

So, just to update the thread, I changed from red to MSM. It took Tesla a week to reply to the email, change went through yesterday and my account got updated. This morning I have a hidden vin. 472xxx. No idea what that means in terms of timing, but it feels marginally more real.

I’m beginning to wonder if my expired delivery window with no news and no car (7-20 August) and VIN that appeared (I got excited) then disappeared a few weeks later (grrr!) is because I ordered red o_O

I’m beginning to wonder if my expired delivery window with no news and no car (7-20 August) and VIN that appeared (I got excited) then disappeared a few weeks later (grrr!) is because I ordered red o_O

I think you might be right, an anecdotal glance at various photos of pier 80 over the last few weeks shows very few red cars.

luckily I realised I prefer MSM having actually seen one.

Just got a source code VIN in the 500 range this morning, so hopefully some are on the way! Looks like they didn't sort out the previous P- registration issue as my previous allocated VIN was 424.