TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I think I might stain my wood dash...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DrivingTheFuture, Aug 17, 2017.

1. DrivingTheFuture

Maybe a light grey... Would look beautiful Imo. Anyone else that would do this?

• Funny x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stain it myself... I want the premium interior but I don't know if I even like the wood. I wonder if there will be other options by the time the AWD and performance models come out.

3. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

I've actually been contemplating it since the interior pics came out. Most likely a darker color maybe like a deep cherry stain. Also thought about wrapping it in carbon fiber

• Like x 3
  4. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

I haven't gotten the result i expected with grey stains that I've tried...wood finishing is an art. I personally wouldn't do it without testing on scrap first -- especially in a $35K+ car, but you may get a result you like on the first shot. good luck

• Like x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

They call it "open pore" wood, but I would not be surprised at all if it has some manner of seal on it. Simply staining it might not be possible without sanding it down, and even then you'll have to contend with the seal that's permeated into the open pores that you will not be able to easily sand.

Though, if you're good enough woodworking, you could remove the existing trim and replace it with a wood piece stained to your liking. I wouldn't mind a nice richly stained poplar.

• Like x 1
  6. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

7. chronopc

chronopc Member

I wonder if there will be some aftermarket dash kits. I've seen some on other vehicles.

8. jtri

jtri New Member

All wood in a car would be sealed, toned and finished. To get the color that is desired you would tone the wood. This is a layer of color over a sealed piece of wood. You then top coat over that. This is like a car finish, primed, color then clear coat. Not hard if you you know what your doing, most people do not know how to do this type of finishing. So yes you could add a layer of color over the existing finish and top coat it, but you first need to know what finish is used so that the new finish will adhere.

9. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Not to mention the stain would make your car smell for weeks.

10. atlas310

atlas310 Member

I like the idea of wrapping in CF as well. No way on the staining though.

11. DrivingTheFuture

Oh I'm sure there will be, I just thought it would be a nice way to customize / differentiate my car to my liking since the early production purchasers are all getting the exact same interior.

12. DrivingTheFuture

This would be my biggest fear, perhaps there is an odorless stain out there so the smell could be avoided.

13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that. It might be a good ideal then.