Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I'm going to turn OFF cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All it takes to keep the car from cooking is to park in the shade, or park facing the sun and use a sun-shade along with windows opened a little. If I'm feeling particularly coddled, I run the car in vent mode for a couple minutes before I get in to bring the cabin temp down to ambient.

So much bandwidth and energy wasted for such a trivial problem.

Because it's always possible to park your car in the shade. :rolleyes:
And there are people that don't live in CA where it actually rains where leaving your windows open even a little would be bad news if a thunderstorm popped up.
But I guess then it is the fault of the owner for not driving to a place that had covered parking, right? :rolleyes:

Obviously there will be people who flame me because they don't care about a few lost miles...whatever.
I'm seeing enough mileage loss that I'm thinking keeping my car at a comfy 105 F is not worth it. I'm already running NO-AC mode for cabin overheat protection and I lost 13.5 miles (~3.3 kWh) in 5.3 hours today. It was only 86 F outside. The car was parked & off for all these data points. I don't have small children.
View attachment 329975

Can you add another range line to the chart for a similar day but with COHP switched off?

Just getting this plot would have burned some miles, interested in the difference COHP makes.

Can you add another range line to the chart for a similar day but with COHP switched off?
Just getting this plot would have burned some miles, interested in the difference COHP makes.
Don't view the difference as your savings though. The retained heat will be removed during the drive and the AC power will be folded into the driving.

I'm not saying that the energy consumption for cooling is the same either way - far from it. Rather, that the savings is a YMMV and a somewhat involved calculation.

Don't view the difference as your savings though. The retained heat will be removed during the drive and the AC power will be folded into the driving.

I'm not saying that the energy consumption for cooling is the same either way - far from it. Rather, that the savings is a YMMV and a somewhat involved calculation.

If the only difference is having COHP deactivated then you can be pretty sure that's your saving.

But yeah, that won't be the only difference. More/less clouds, wind, etc.

But it would be useful to have a comparison.

I have this feature turned off. If something breaks in the car because it can't stand being in the elements like literally every other car on the road, Tesla is going to have a bad time when they start selling to "regular" people. I get it, it's a feature, but I think people are babying way too much and get paranoid when they see the interior temp in the car.

Ever been in a regular car that has spent years in a hot climate? Everything in the interior gets absolutely blasted and at best you are going to get messed up fabrics / plastics over time. This is a great feature for those of us that live down in blast furnace land. Now we might have a chance to avoid all the issues that beset other manufacturers.

Ever been in a regular car that has spent years in a hot climate? Everything in the interior gets absolutely blasted and at best you are going to get messed up fabrics / plastics over time. This is a great feature for those of us that live down in blast furnace land. Now we might have a chance to avoid all the issues that beset other manufacturers.
I think it is more the sunlight than the heat. You do not need the the COHP to put up a sunscreen, and I am willing to bet that a car that uses a sunscreen without COHP ages better than a car using COHP without a sunscreen.

Reactions: ebmcs03
I'm in SoCal and in July I was easily losing 10-15 miles every day by the end of my work day (7:30am-5:00 pm) sometimes even close to 20 miles. My car was parked outside and I just couldn't handle losing so much range. My round trip commute is only 12 miles so losing that much range while the car was idle was upsetting. I've installed ceramic tint on all of my windows including the windshield so I'm curious to see how much drain I get now. Grant it, it's not as hot in So Cal as it was back in July, but it's still reaching 85-90. Might have to try it again.

Reactions: brkaus
Obviously there will be people who flame me because they don't care about a few lost miles...whatever.
I'm seeing enough mileage loss that I'm thinking keeping my car at a comfy 105 F is not worth it. I'm already running NO-AC mode for cabin overheat protection and I lost 13.5 miles (~3.3 kWh) in 5.3 hours today. It was only 86 F outside. The car was parked & off for all these data points. I don't have small children.

Is it possible that the constant querying isn't allow the vehicle to go to sleep?

Reactions: RichXKU and J1mbo
I get running the fan to cool the batteries but if the display can't be in the car without running the AC during the day, that seems like a huge flaw.

It's not just the display, there is a computer in the car too. Most car don't have a full blown computer inside I think. My wife has left her iPhone 8 in outside in the back yard a few times and it won't turn on after a few hour outdoor in the heat. It said it is too hot to turn it on so it won't turn on until it is cool down. I have fried 1 Android phone because I left it in the car for a day.

>My commute is 3 miles each day. After 8 days I went from 90% to 20% charge. This stuff adds up.

My commute is less about 3 miles also, in Texas. I park outside at work, in shade for part of the day only. I have COHP on. in the 14 straight days I worked recently my charge went from 80% to about 70%.

For me it depends on the circumstances. It's not as though you have to make one choice and stick with it for the life of the car. When I'm parking in the sun for days at a time and no plug anywhere nearby, I turn off cabin overheat protection, to insure as much range as possible when I get back to the car. But at home when I charge to 2/3 (220 miles range) or even if I decide to charge to 50%, I have cabin overheat protection on because I really don't care if I lose a few miles of range.

It's protect the car's interior vs. maintaining enough range to get where I need to go. So it depends on whether range is going to be an issue, which it is not when I'm at home, but is on a long road trip if I have to park away from charging.

It's not just the display, there is a computer in the car too. Most car don't have a full blown computer inside I think. My wife has left her iPhone 8 in outside in the back yard a few times and it won't turn on after a few hour outdoor in the heat. It said it is too hot to turn it on so it won't turn on until it is cool down. I have fried 1 Android phone because I left it in the car for a day.

phones do this because the glass display basically acts like a magnifying glass and the trapped heat then has nowhere to go.

You don't have this problem in a car, where the computer is hidden in a dark recess of the car and is liquid cooled. 2 different animals.

Reactions: SageBrush
View attachment 329975

Have you gotten the BMS firmware update yet? (I seem to recall some people claiming that it resolved excessive vampire drain problems.)

Some people are wondering if Tesla implemented it to protect the displays and electronics.
Is there firm evidence that it is necessary to protect the electronics in the car? I have not seen that mentioned by Tesla before and if it were necessary I would think it wouldn't be able to be turned off. Furthermore I believe that the most sensitive components are liquid cooled and not immediately in the passenger cabin as someone else noted. It doesn't get as hot in the areas not in the passenger cabin.

I have noticed for sure while the car is charging (both with L2 and supercharging) that it will automatically initiate cooling measures for the battery pack and associated electronics. I do not know for sure if it does this when the car is sitting out without being hooked up the a charger though.

Reactions: C141medic
It's bizarre that the default setting is ON, which drains lots of power.

As if most buyers have either pets or small kids, live in a hot climate, and are stupid enough to forget them in a car.

I use this super high tech solution called leaving the windows cracked open an inch.

Not bizarre at all that the default on delivery is on. It’s meant to protect against tragic accidents (and it isn’t a matter of stupidity or people being bad parents, it has to do with how much of what we do daily is based on ingrained routines we don’t have to consciously think about, and how unexpected events plus stress plus a bunch of unlucky sequences can lead to tragedy, the Washington Post, iirc, has a great article on it), so it makes sense to have it on by default, just in case. It’s a simple thing for people to change the setting if it’s not something they feel they need or want.

The only thing I’d like Tesla to change is to let us customize the temperature overheat protection is set at, so people can make it higher if they want, or lower it even for specific circumstances. In my old Leaf, I’d like to leave my car on with the AC going on max to keep it cool if I had groceries in the car and I had to stop somewhere for a while, for example. Camper mode would seem to cover that, but it would make sense to me if they combined the features, and maybe add a notification when you leave the car as to what overheat protection is set at so you can change it if you forgot you had it on.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vaxe and Runt8
Is there firm evidence that it is necessary to protect the electronics in the car? I have not seen that mentioned by Tesla before and if it were necessary I would think it wouldn't be able to be turned off. Furthermore I believe that the most sensitive components are liquid cooled and not immediately in the passenger cabin as someone else noted. It doesn't get as hot in the areas not in the passenger cabin.

I have noticed for sure while the car is charging (both with L2 and supercharging) that it will automatically initiate cooling measures for the battery pack and associated electronics. I do not know for sure if it does this when the car is sitting out without being hooked up the a charger though.

I think it came up when people were discussing the 17" screens in earlier model S models delaminating/leaking/turning yellow/generally failing, but it wasn't an issue for me personally so I am certainly not an expert and am not even sure if those failures were related to heat.

I was just throwing that comment out there since no one else had mentioned a possible downside of turning it off - wanted people to be able to make the best decision for themselves.