Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I'm going to turn OFF cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those claiming little to no loss with COHP turned on: are you sure it's running? Have you checked it throughout the day?
My car seems to go into a deep sleep during the day which prevents COHP from running until I open the app to check on the car.
Today I opened the app to see the interior at 124° and it started dropping immediately after opening the app and waking the car. (No AC mode selected, this was about 3 PM before the servers went down)
v 32.2

Can you add another range line to the chart for a similar day but with COHP switched off?

Just getting this plot would have burned some miles, interested in the difference COHP makes.

Point of reference, it’s COP if you want to abbreviate it. Cabin Overheat Protection per Tesla Manual. Think of it “policing” your cabin temperature for 12 hours.

Last edited:
Ever been in a regular car that has spent years in a hot climate? Everything in the interior gets absolutely blasted and at best you are going to get messed up fabrics / plastics over time. This is a great feature for those of us that live down in blast furnace land. Now we might have a chance to avoid all the issues that beset other manufacturers.

We’ve used COP on our Model S since it became available. And BTW also use a sunscreen in it. Live in a more or less inland area so summers can be very hot. And if you have days with hot temps, full sun and no real air movement with your car sitting on concrete or blacktop you are going to have some really hot temperature ranges in your sealed up car over the course of the day with sun beating on it. We typically have blue skies with no clouds, temps can be in the 90-100s by noon. Not everyone has a tree near their driveway or office park offering some shade. Glad it’s now available on on the Model 3 so I’ll be able to use it when I get my car.

Saying other cars including EVs do not offer this and we haven’t had the need for this ever before even in ICE vehicles, well Tesla is not like other cars out there. Most of the cars don’t have the electronics in it that Teslas do, nor the screen size, nor a huge battery running nearly the length of it, nor so much glass everywhere. Be it heat or UV related, all of my previous California ICE vehicles that I’ve have had issues over time; all sit/sat out in the driveway in the sun. The leather seats dried out in my Toyota and the seams in the backseat of a Honda Accord closest to the rear window ripped apart due to the stitching disintegrating over time. The rear window faces south when parked in the driveway. Toyota and another brand or two have had horrible issues with the dash becoming totally gummy. Believe there was a pretty wide class action lawsuit over this a number of years back and a lot of very unhappy owners. We’d rather expend the extra electrons to keep our car cooler. And as mentioned it’s much nicer to get into a 105F car when you don’t pre-cool than one above 120F.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWord
Is there firm evidence that it is necessary to protect the electronics in the car? I have not seen that mentioned by Tesla before and if it were necessary I would think it wouldn't be able to be turned off. Furthermore I believe that the most sensitive components are liquid cooled and not immediately in the passenger cabin as someone else noted. It doesn't get as hot in the areas not in the passenger cabin.

I have noticed for sure while the car is charging (both with L2 and supercharging) that it will automatically initiate cooling measures for the battery pack and associated electronics. I do not know for sure if it does this when the car is sitting out without being hooked up the a charger though.

As for Tesla making it so COP couldn’t be turned off, why? Not everyone lives in an area that gets as hot. Some people leave their windows down too. Others park in garages or have shade or days filled with clouds. Clouds will make a marked difference in how much your car needs to adjust to lower the temp. When we first got COP in the MS, I did a check over many hours each day over maybe a month on the conditions outside, the exterior temp and temp inside the car with COP on and saw the differences and watched the mileage loss. A lot of weather factors go into how much it loses.

These are not small losses. My commute is 3 miles each day. After 8 days I went from 90% to 20% charge. This stuff adds up.

SC told me to leave overheat protection off. They said it wouldn't damage the car...

We live in a hot inland area and have used COP on our MS for the past year and half. Larger car to cool. I can tell you based on our tracked losses when we started using COP that it sounds like something other than COP is going on with your car causing the drain. At most I think we saw a 12 mile range loss in a day. Most days were much less than that. We don’t charge our car everyday or drive it every day (but during the summer will sit in it every day to activate COP).

I’ve heard people don’t always close their Model 3 doors all the way when exiting although they think they have (they are harder to close shut more so than the MS). Perhaps something like that would keep the system going longer. I’d suggest searching the forum for other vampire drain loss reports and see if you see any similarities, maybe even software version. Really don’t know but just don’t think that kind of loss was due to COP being turned on.

Last edited:
Obviously there will be people who flame me because they don't care about a few lost miles...whatever.
I'm seeing enough mileage loss that I'm thinking keeping my car at a comfy 105 F is not worth it. I'm already running NO-AC mode for cabin overheat protection and I lost 13.5 miles (~3.3 kWh) in 5.3 hours today. It was only 86 F outside. The car was parked & off for all these data points. I don't have small children.
View attachment 329975
How did you get this data output? is there a way to get this data from any tesla?

Point of reference, it’s COP if you want to abbreviate it. Cabin Overheat Protection per Tesla Manual. Think of it “policing” your cabin temperature for 12 hours.

Cheers, I know what it does. European cars have COP disabled by default, because all cars have tilt/intrusion detection installed and active by default.

Use a sunshield facing the sun, and crack open the windows for ventilation.

Works great

The whole damn roof is glass. And leaving the windows cracked open is an invitation for disaster if it rains, which it well might do during any given week. And the only time I'm concerned about range is when it's parked for an extended time. However, if I haven't moved to Maui by next summer, I'll buy the car cover for it. If I'm in Maui I won't be leaving the car parked unplugged for a week.

There s really a nice feature that actually works with any car... it’s called leaving your car in the shade...

Shade is not always available, and in fact there's no shade available at all at any of the places I had to park for a week at a time when I was in Canada this summer.

The whole damn roof is glass.
It doesn't matter if the car has ventilation.

I agree that rain can be a reason to not leave windows open*. This may be climate specific, but for me days that I worry about rain are not the days that the sun is beating down on the car. I also find that leaving the window open just a crack prevents the car from really over-heating and might let a few drops of rain in but nothing that presents a problem. I should say though that I live in a dry climate so I don't worry about mold.

I think it really comes down to being willing to give the question a moment's thought before leaving the car. Most days the answer is yes, I can ventilate the car for free. **

* I gather that Arizona residents have a different problem that discourages them for opening a window: dust.
Hot as hell and dusty. What a place to live.

** I also very rarely park without shade. My wife and I have turned shade finding into a game, aided by our willingness to park a few hundred meters away from our destination. Often times all it takes is being cognizant of where the sun is and parking on the side of buildings that is shaded.

Last edited:
we really need to stop the speculation that COP is intended to keep electronics cool. It's not. phones and tablets, if left in the car or outside do indeed shut down due to battery safety mechanisms. For most devices, that threshold is around 60C. At those temps, your battery is at risk of thermal runaway if you use it heavily (think phone fire or explosion).

There's no electronics in the dash that is sensitive to max temps of an enclosed cabin in a hot summer. The battery is safe underneath the cabin and is only susceptible to shade temps and radiative heat from the ground under it.

Silicon circuitry can withstand very intense heat. CPU/GPU chips traditionally are designed to operate correctly to 80C but modern chips can go even higher, near boiling temps. Risk of hitting these temps are not environmental at all; they are from waste heat caused by its own operating power. There are dedicated heat sinks and cooling systems in place for these components.

Earlier in the Spring, our pal Montana Septic speculated that the anecdotal reports of phantom touches on the touchscreen was due to high cabin heat, and that this summer, we would see a widespread recall of screens as the heat destroyed all the touchscreens. Did not come to pass.

There is no cause for FUD here.

It doesn't matter if the car has ventilation.

I agree that rain can be a reason to not leave windows open*. This may be climate specific, but for me days that I worry about rain are not the days that the sun is beating down on the car. I also find that leaving the window open just a crack prevents the car from really over-heating and might let a few drops of rain in but nothing that presents a problem. I should say though that I live in a dry climate so I don't worry about mold.

I think it really comes down to being willing to give the question a moment's thought before leaving the car. Most days the answer is yes, I can ventilate the car for free. **

* I gather that Arizona residents have a different problem that discourages them for opening a window: dust.
Hot as hell and dusty. What a place to live.

** I also very rarely park without shade. My wife and I have turned shade finding into a game, aided by our willingness to park a few hundred meters away from our destination. Often times all it takes is being cognizant of where the sun is and parking on the side of buildings that is shaded.

Clearly different considerations for different people. I don't mind using a few electrons to cool the car. The only time it's a concern for me is if I'm going to leave the car unattended and unplugged for a week or more, when I might lose significant range. And in cases like that, I have to expect some of every kind of weather. And the only time this happens for me are those annual hiking trips to Canada. Rain at some point is nearly guaranteed, as are hot sunny days. I actually tried to find someone who would rent me garage space for a week, but could not find anyone. Apparently it's an insurance liability issue. So I'm forced to park in the sun. And leaving windows open is not an option.

When I'm at home I'm not all that bothered if the car is hot when I get back to it. I'll open the windows and in a minute the A/C is blasting hard enough to close them, and in another minute the car has cooled enough that the fan dials itself down. We don't get extreme heat or cold here in Spokane.

we really need to stop the speculation that COP is intended to keep electronics cool. It's not. phones and tablets, if left in the car or outside do indeed shut down due to battery safety mechanisms. For most devices, that threshold is around 60C. At those temps, your battery is at risk of thermal runaway if you use it heavily (think phone fire or explosion).

There's no electronics in the dash that is sensitive to max temps of an enclosed cabin in a hot summer. The battery is safe underneath the cabin and is only susceptible to shade temps and radiative heat from the ground under it.

Silicon circuitry can withstand very intense heat. CPU/GPU chips traditionally are designed to operate correctly to 80C but modern chips can go even higher, near boiling temps. Risk of hitting these temps are not environmental at all; they are from waste heat caused by its own operating power. There are dedicated heat sinks and cooling systems in place for these components.

Earlier in the Spring, our pal Montana Septic speculated that the anecdotal reports of phantom touches on the touchscreen was due to high cabin heat, and that this summer, we would see a widespread recall of screens as the heat destroyed all the touchscreens. Did not come to pass.

There is no cause for FUD here.
Exactly this. This is also not a feature for keeping you comfortable when you get back in the car (105 is not exactly cool, use preconditioning for that). Tesla specifically states this is a safety feature for children and pets.
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 10.41.43 AM.png

Tesla

Cheers, I know what it does. European cars have COP disabled by default, because all cars have tilt/intrusion detection installed and active by default.

The COP clarification was because you referred to it as COHP and others started using it too.

Don't know if it is set to be On by default or not since I don't have my Model 3 yet but I think most people go through their various screen settings to acquaint themselves with the system and customize it to whatever their needs are much like on an cell phone when they get it.

Not sure what tilt/intrusion detection is. Is that language from the other side of the pond? Sounds like a person coming over your hood and through your front windshield LOL. And not sure why that feature would mean that COP is disabled by default.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
Not sure what tilt/intrusion detection is. Is that language from the other side of the pond? Sounds like a person coming over your hood and through your front windshield LOL. And not sure why that feature would mean that COP is disabled by default.

Tilt protection triggers the alarm if the car is jacked up or towed.

Intrusion is an ultrasonic sensor inside the cabin. If any of the windows are broken then it triggers the alarm.

COP becoming active would trigger the intrusion sensor.

Tilt protection triggers the alarm if the car is jacked up or towed.

Intrusion is an ultrasonic sensor inside the cabin. If any of the windows are broken then it triggers the alarm.

COP becoming active would trigger the intrusion sensor.

I knew things were different over in Europe. Are you saying the AC coming on in your car with COP would set off the alarms? So you can't pre-cool then?