TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

I think Model S just saved my clueless neighbor and his dog

Discussion in 'Model S' started by birdsaresmarter, Oct 23, 2013.

1. birdsaresmarter

Feb 21, 2013
    #1 birdsaresmarter, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    I think MS helped save clueless neighbor and his dog

Live on narrow hillside, twisty street. Parking on one side. Often cars parked and little visibility. Room for only one car to pass at a time. Despite this, most people drive like maniacs on the street except "some" of us who live here and know better.

Okay, coming around turn on way home, cars parked causing no visibility to left side down slight slope. Neighbor has dog off leash and decides to saunter across the street to the hillside not paying attention to car coming (headlights folks?) and no visibility. "OMG". Stopped in the nick of time.

I have a hard time thinking I could have stopped the Prius that fast. Love that strong regen.
  2. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Aug 19, 2013
    He would probably would be dead if you had the Prius. Terrible brakes, some of the worst of any car.
  3. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nice save. Do you think the silence of the car at all contributed to this close call?
  4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    If the car was going fast enough for the car to be a danger, which it obviously was considering the panic braking, the tires were making plenty of noise. He could and would have heard it coming if he was playing the slightest bit of attention to his surroundings.
  5. birdsaresmarter

Feb 21, 2013
    Hard to say because this guy is generally not the most "alert" person in my experience observing him walking his dog regularly. Lately he has taken to having his face buried in his cell phone and not looking where he is walking. I suspect that contributed more to the problem than the quiet car. I notice that the tires DO make some noise and in a very quiet time (like it was) I would think most people would have heard it. What I couldn't tell was whether the dog was simply in the middle of the street and, upon noticing my car approaching , (either hearing it or seeing headlights) the man rushed out from behind the parked cars to try to wrangle the dog back at the last second or if he was just strolling with the dog with the face in the cell phone as per usual.
  6. texex91

texex91 Banned

Aug 21, 2013
    Gotta love the S and glad the dog is ok!
  7. Bitech

Bitech Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Have you talked to him about his reckless behavior? How is he and his dog still alive with all the reckless drivers going through the street?
  8. birdsaresmarter

Feb 21, 2013
    #8 birdsaresmarter, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Different primary languages create communication barrier. Several neighbors have tried to speak to him (about other things) and he just kind of grunts at them in disgust. How they are alive is a mystery...dumb luck? Angel on shoulder?

I hope he will learn from this "gift". This is the first time I've seen him/dog out at this time of night in the street. I digress, but... probably decided to use cover of darkness to deposit his dog's "gifts" because got tired of neighbors telling him to knock it off in the daylight hours.
  9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Skaneateles, NY
    I'm sorry, I'm confused by this. This sounds like you were driving like a maniac around a blind corner and almost killed someone... why don't you just drive slower? especially if you already know it's a dangerous curve?
  10. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Southern California
    I doubt it, unless the OP was going 40+mph.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Jul 11, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    #11 cwerdna, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Of the vehicles tested by Consumer Reports, the worst vehicles in terms of braking distance are at Best Safety Performance | Avoidance | Braking - Consumer Reports. But... I guess neither are (passenger) "cars" as one is a "light truck" and the other is a "medium duty truck" by govt ratings.

FWIW, if you have a Consumer Reports online subscription and visit Log In - Consumer Reports, you can sort by 60 to 0 mph braking distances. There are 303 entries in that table. The current gen Prius is in position 111 w/133 ft distance but is tied with 14 other vehicles w/the same distance, starting at position 107.

Here's all of them listed w/that same distance:
    Chevrolet Camaro 2LT (V6)
    Ford Escape SE (1.6T)
    Volkswagen GTI
    Infiniti FX (V6)
    Toyota Prius Four
    Mazda CX-5 Touring (2.5L)
    Hyundai Santa Fe GLS (V6)
    Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
    Lexus CT 200h
    Mazda CX-5 Sport (2.0L)
    Volkswagen CC (2.0T)
    BMW X1 xDrive28i (2.0T)
    Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Nissan Altima 3.5 SL (V6)
    Volvo C70

So, I guess all of the above must have "some of the worst of any car" brakes too.

And, since the Prius isn't anywhere near the bottom, there are 182 vehicles w/worse braking distances. Just for kicks, I've listed ones w/134 to 137 foot distances. So, by extension, all 182 of those vehicles (including these below) must have REALLY horrible brakes.

Chevrolet Cruze Turbo Diesel
    Fiat 500 Sport
    Audi A5 2.0T
    Buick Regal (turbo)
    Hyundai Elantra GT
    Ford Mustang GT Convertible
    Dodge Charger (V6)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (V6)
    Audi A3
    Hyundai Accent GLS
    Volvo S60 T5
    Ford Escape Titanium (2.0T)
    Hyundai Sonata GLS (2.4)
    Chrysler 300 C
    Ford Fiesta hatchback
    Ford Mustang (V6)
    Porsche Cayenne (V6)
    Toyota Sienna XLE (FWD)
    Ford Edge (AWD, 3.5 V6)
    Hyundai Genesis (V6)
    Infiniti G37 Base
    Kia Sportage SX (2.0 T)
    Cadillac SRX
    Volkswagen Eos
    Mini Cooper Countryman S
    Toyota RAV4 XLE
    Toyota Prius C Two
    Chevrolet Malibu 1LT (2.5)
    Kia Sorento EX (V6)
    Volkswagen Touareg TDI
    Nissan Xterra
    Ford Explorer
    Ford Taurus Limited (V6)
    Lexus RX 450h
    Volvo XC70
    Acura ILX 2.0L
    Hyundai Accent SE
    Nissan Leaf
    Lexus GX 460
    Scion xD (AT)
    Scion xD (MT)
    Honda Fit Sport
    Mercedes-Benz GL350 BlueTec
    Hyundai Genesis (V8)
    Acura MDX Tech
    Honda Accord LX (4-cyl.)
    Volkswagen Passat SE (5-cyl.)
    Nissan Murano
    Chevrolet Volt
    Honda Civic EX
    Volvo XC90
    Honda Insight EX
    Hyundai Sonata Limited (2.0T)
    Toyota Corolla Base (MT)
    Toyota Corolla LE
    Honda Odyssey EX-L
    Hyundai Elantra GLS
    Kia Rio EX hatchback
    Toyota Camry XLE (V6)
    Lexus RX 350
    Mazda CX-9
    Nissan Rogue SV
    Lincoln MKS (3.7)
    Nissan Pathfinder SL (3.5)
    Lexus GS 350
    Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    BMW 535i
    Mazda2 Sport
    Chrysler 300 Limited (V6)
    Infiniti QX60 3.5
    Suzuki Grand Vitara
    Buick LaCrosse (V6)
    Ford Focus SE
    Toyota Yaris LE
    Kia Sportage LX (2.4)
    Toyota Venza (V6)
    Mini Cooper Hatchback S
    Scion xB
    Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
    Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2.5

Not surprisingly, most of the worst performers (well beyond the above vehicles I listed) are of "light truck" class (e.g. SUVs and trucks). FWIW, I've glanced thru some of the list and here are a few example cars that do worse than a 137 feet on that test.

Acura TSX - 138 feet
    Honda Accord EX-L (V6) - 139 feet
    Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI - 139 feet
    Nissan Altima 2.5 S (4-cyl.) - 140 feet
    Audi A4 - 140 feet
    Volkswagen Jetta SE (5-cyl.) - 144 feet

Side note: The 85 kwh Model S they tested did get a pretty good 128 feet which is in position 33 on the list, which tied it w/a few other vehicles, starting at position 29.
  12. birdsaresmarter

Feb 21, 2013
    #12 birdsaresmarter, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    Sorry I did not explain it well enough. NO, I was NOT driving like a maniac. I did not say "saved them from death". If I was driving like a maniac, they would be dead. Probably saved them from injury. Perhaps it WAS more a function of NOT driving too fast than a function of the car and perhaps I shouldn't have been as impressed by the stopping prowess going at such relatively low speed given that I have had plenty of morons turn in front of me, pull U-turn in front of me, etc, at much greater speeds, but when there is a living being, person, animal, whatever, even if not in danger of being killed, but perhaps injured, I'm saying I felt the difference. No squishy brakes, no hesitation, just immediate and authoritative stop and I was glad for it.

Take it or leave it but please do not introduce alternate/incorrect facts.

All I was saying is that low percentage situations can present themselves no matter how safe you try to drive, such as somebody/something suddenly coming out from behind a parked car or some other obstruction at the last second. Forget curves...can happen anywhere, a parking lot for example, suddenly a clueless person, not paying attention, just steps out when you are ALREADY RIGHT THERE and, anticipate it as much as you can, there are times it still requires ultra fast response.

Mod - please consider deleting the thread since I'm done with the j/a lawyering attitudes.
  13. gameon

gameon Member

May 29, 2013
    is that a compliment or blaming... just kidding..

when the leaf came out in the market. I remember reading article that blind people can't hear car coming. Nissan said they will install some kind of artificial noise generating device for the blind people to make out car is approaching.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Jul 11, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    All Leafs ship w/a pedestrian noisemaker. Nissan Leaf VSP Vechicle Sound for Pedestrians - YouTube is on the development of the sound.

On '12+ Leafs, the switch to disable the noisemaker was removed.
  15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm kind of curious to see the 1-33 slots, but I can see why you might not want to post it.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy there, birdie. No need to take the ball and go home because some folks upset you.

I'm glad you shared the story, and bummed you feel the need to ask for it to be pulled. :(
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Jul 11, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    In order, they are these... However, many of them have the same distances (CR only lists whole numbers) but I haven't grouped them at all. Cadillac XTS thru Nissan Maxima all got 128 feet in that test.

Porsche Boxster (Base)
    Mercedes-Benz SLK250
    Porsche Panamera S
    Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 2SS
    BMW 135i
    Nissan 370Z
    Audi TT
    Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    BMW Z4 sDrive28i
    Mazda MX-5 Miata
    Ford Focus ST
    Subaru Impreza STi
    Lincoln MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost
    Cadillac ATS (turbo)
    Mini Cooper Hatchback Base
    Fiat 500 Abarth
    Subaru Impreza WRX
    Audi A8
    Scion FR-S
    Subaru BRZ
    Infiniti G37 Journey
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
    BMW 750Li
    Buick Encore
    Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
    Subaru Impreza Sport Premium
    Dodge Dart SXT (2.0L)
    Hyundai Elantra Touring
    Cadillac XTS
    Honda CR-V EX
    Mini Cooper Clubman
    Kia Forte LX (1.8)
    Tesla Model S (base, 85kWh)
    Jaguar XK
    Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ (2.0T)
    Acura RLX
    Fisker Karma
    Chevrolet Sonic LT (1.8)
    Infiniti M37
    Mazda3 Mazdaspeed
    Mini Cooper Convertible S
    Nissan Maxima

The best couple performers are at Best Safety Performance | Avoidance | Braking - Consumer Reports.
  17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    Cool. Thanks.
  18. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Herts, UK
    I have to say that when I'm out on my Vectrix (e-moto (electric motorcycle)) whenever I see a pedestrian ahead who is either on their phone or otherwise obviously distracted or just walking with their back to me I always give them the benefit of a momentary honk of the horn. Some might find it mildly irritating but I'd rather risk that than have them jump out in front of me at the last moment! It would be nice to have a dual-mode horn - if you are doing less than 30 mph, say, a momentary horn press gives a short, relatively low volume (maybe completely different) warning sound. Press and hold the horn button for more than 0.3-0.5 seconds or so and you get the full volume version... MW
  19. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Rome (Italy)
    Very interesting! Cool! But I think that the Model S should also be improved from this point of view. What would have happened if you didn't notice your neighbour and his dog? So I think that the Model S should get a pedestrians and obstacles detection system like Volvo cars have.
    I think that this is a very important item!
  20. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Rome (Italy)
    I understood it correctly. I understood that you were driving safely. I think that you shouldn't worry of being misunderstood. Actually you rose a legittimate item. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are driving safely because an emergency situation can happen also if you are very careful while driving.
    That's why I think that a pedestrians and obstacles detection system actioning the brakes automatically in case of danger should be installed on the Model S.