Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think my new-to-me CPO P85D is a dud. Am I wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I had to drive to a large city for work. I charged the car to 100%, drove the 90 miles to that city at 305 Wh average, only to have to super charge the car to have the mileage to get back home, because the car was saying it only had 88 rated miles of range left, when I left my house with a supposed 243 miles worth of range.

I bought a CPO car in July. The communications board did not work, the door panels were not installed properly, the glove box would not close, and one of the windows leaks water like crazy. Love to see what their inspection is. Post delivery service has been great, the mobile tech fixed the door panels and glovebox on the spot, knew what was wrong just looking at it.

Anway, I digress, mine is not a P85, just 85, and I drive really fast as much as I can, turn the air on before I get to the car, run it while I'm driving, stop five times, get out of the car and go do something and have the air go on and off, and I don't see anything as bad as you are seeing. Last weekend I drove mine 240 miles, speeding with the air on a lot. had ten left when I got to a charger. Battery warranty is eight years, I would so take it into service.

Your car sounds fine.

Charge daily

Close your windows and turn the AC instead of wind drag open windows.

Learn about battery degradation and battery managment.

Read the manual and keep reading this forum and asking questions.

And no the regeneration isn't stronger/weaker after that latest update.

I don't run the AC in 90+ weather, a small crack in the windows does it for me.

I'm not getting what I paid for, which is a car with 253 miles of EPA Rated range.

A way to check tire pressure on the car?

Several have asked WHY you don’t charge daily vs letting it sit and charging it when it’s low?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
320-335 Wh/mi is a pretty normal number to get for the performance models.
Major factors that play into that:

I've never understood that. My freeway commutes home are always way lower than rated. 250ish wh / mile on the low end 270ish on the high end. Currently at 305 average over the last 12K miles. It's the short trips into town that are sky high for me like in the mid 450s) which is why my average is just above 300 which is still below rated.

The following photos are driving from San Jose, Ca to Merced, Ca with about a 200 foot elevation increase. The first photo was leaving at 84% leaving 37% when I got home using 33.4 kWh on a battery that has 74.4 kWh of capacity. Note, if your numbers include letting the car sit multiple overnights without charging, you'll lose a ton there.

i-hHkTxmR-XL.jpg

i-g6LnCfq-XL.jpg

Again, my concern isn't with usage, but that I'm not getting what I paid for, which is a car with 253 miles of EPA Rated range.

Recently, I had to drive to a large city for work. I charged the car to 100%, drove the 90 miles to that city at 305 Wh average, only to have to super charge the car to have the mileage to get back home, because the car was saying it only had 88 rated miles of range left, when I left my house with a supposed 243 miles worth of range.

This is what started my little experiment this last week. I'm planning on charging the car to full, then driving it dead as efficiently as possible to see how much range I get.

I came here to ask this question to make sure I'm not being paranoid, as this is my first Tesla.

So 243 miles fully charged? What did you have left when you got to work vs when you left work to come home?

You should subscribe to teslafi's free trial so you can post some of the logs here.

the S never gets anything close to EPA estimates. S a bit of an electron (gas) guzzler compared to the Model 3 which has a more efficient motor and better regen braking from what I understand. if you drive the 3 reasonably efficiently (i.e. avoiding overspeeding or jet acceleration and regen braking to standard), you get pretty close to 295 or less Wh. And my S is a 75D, the P's are a little harder to get to that efficiency I believe with their performance configuration. On my S sometimes I only get 1/2 the actual 220 range it shows (hard acceleration and city driving).

Range MODE is ON and Chill mode ON and regen braking to standard and seat heat off can help somewhat.

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN
My southern route home from north San Jose, CA (95002) to north of Merced which is 134 miles. 70 MPH the whole way except for 5 mph through Los Banos (stop and go which actually raises this average quite a bit). The 253 I posted earlier is the north route where I can just stay on the freeway the entire trip (124 miles). I take the longer route when the shorter route traffic sucks.

Reactions: BrokerDon
You didn't buy a CPO, Tesla ended the CPO program almost a year ago. You bought a used Tesla.

Wow. If you have a Porsche I'll bet you post on Rennlist. If you have one and you don't you should, you'll find your own kind there.

I bought a used Tesla from Tesla that had supposedly passed a 70 point inspection that somehow did not include "can the car communicate?" and "are the door panels attached properly?" It has a 50K mile warranty. But yes, it is used. Happy now, feel better?

Previous owner ate more than $1/mile in depreciation, I thought I'd avoid that.

I bought a used Tesla from Tesla that had supposedly passed a 70 point inspection that somehow did not include "can the car communicate?" and "are the door panels attached properly?"

Just because something has failed now doesn't mean that it was failed when they inspected it.

ut yes, it is used. Happy now, feel better?

In some states, like CA, a car sold as CPO attaches some legal definitions/requirements so it makes a big difference. Tesla is currently being sued because someone claims that Tesla hasn't followed the rules for selling CPO cars. (It is possible that is part of why they ended the CPO program.)

For the past 50,000 miles, our 2015 P85DL with 21" staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on Arachnid wheels has consistently averaged ~ 350 Wh/mile. I was able to get 200 actual road miles ONCE going between the Page AZ and Blanding UT Superchargers through scenic Monument Valley in mild not windy weather driving very conservatively on 19" square Michelin All-Season MXM tires on Cyclone wheels. which was ~ 295 Wh/mile... but typically I only get 150 to 175 miles when charging to 90% overnight and driving to 15% to 20%.

Honestly, your wH/mile consumption and actual road mile range sounds completely normal. Enjoy you P85DL for the amazing price / performance value it is. IMHO if you really need a car with more range you should have bought a used non-Performance 85D, 90D or 100D... not a P85DL. Or you could do like the rest of us P85DL owners and simply drive slower if you want to charge less (boring but effective) or drive faster and charge more often (more fun). Pick one.

P.S. I'll bet you could have made your 90 mile return trip if you'd HYPERmiled your P85DL by slowing down, selecting Range Mode, and drafting a high profile vehicle like a Mercedes Sprinter van. Been there, done that to make a Supercharger in Primm NV from Barstow in a brutal desert windstorm with 40+ MPH headwinds.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
In some states, like CA, a car sold as CPO attaches some legal definitions/requirements so it makes a big difference.

Really. What's the big difference to the OP? He has an eight year battery/drivetrain warranty, unlimited miles. He has some time/mileage warranty, which, since he just bought it, he probably has not exceeded. I've not asked him, I'm going off my purchase. Based on my limited experience with my car, which is not a P85, he has something going on that he shouldn't. So I added something I thought would be helpful to him.

Reading some of the comments it seems like a lot of people have something going on, I charged my car on Monday, drove it home, didn't drive it until this morning, so Friday, and I had lost five miles. I wouldn't consider that a "ton". The only time I fully charged it it said 263 miles. And that's pretty much what I got the day I used it all.

If this thread were called. "Semantics, a primer", then I could see the worth of your contribution. Maybe you can make it a sticky thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE
In some states, like CA, a car sold as CPO attaches some legal definitions/requirements so it makes a big difference.

I’ve been unable to find any such law, other than that the vehicle can’t have a branded title.

If you’re going to make this claim please cite CA Vehicle Code or CA Statute that specifies what constitutes a CPO (other than have a clean title).

I’ve looked and been unable to find anything.

You claim there’s a law defining what a CPO is. Link the actual statute as adopted by act of law and I’ll send you $100.

CPO is whatever the automaker decides is appropriate for offering a warranty on a used vehicle. C= Manufacturer CERTIFIED as eligible for new warranty to buyer of used car. PO= Pre-Owned.

Prove me wrong by citing an actual state or federal law and I’ll send you $100.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
You claim there’s a law defining what a CPO is. Link the actual statute as adopted by act of law and I’ll send you $100.

CPO is whatever the automaker decides is appropriate for offering a warranty on a used vehicle. C= Manufacturer CERTIFIED as eligible for new warranty to buyer of used car. PO= Pre-Owned.

Prove me wrong by citing an actual state or federal law and I’ll send you $100.

California Vehicle Code section 11713.18. I think the big problem Tesla had was this requirement:

(6) Prior to sale, the dealer fails to provide the buyer with a completed inspection report indicating all the components inspected.

Since they refused to provide inspection reports to people, they can't call the vehicles "Certified".

You can send the $100 to the Pongo Fund.

Well, I have to say that after mobile service looked at my car and found several problems while just looking at it I emailed my "delivery coordinator's" supervisor, small part of a long story is that buying a car from them, Tesla, was the worst car buying experience that I've ever had. I don't remember now what they called the person who was supposed to be the contact on the sale, but I think it was delivery coordinator. i could not, for love or money, get her to call me back. I finally couldn't leave a message, her mailbox was full.

I somehow got this supervisor, and I said pretend I'm Elon, and I just got the mailbox full message from my delivery coordinator, would you be okay with that?

When I did get to talk with the elusive delivery coordinator, she agreed to a Monday pickup at Fremont. I travel a lot for my work, and i had a ticket home on Monday, to Santa Barbara. So I paid the $200 airline change fee to go to San Jose. Then i get the supervisor, because I never could reach the coordinator again. We are closed on Monday, you can't pick it up. So I change back to Santa Barbara, my flight, another $200. Then I get an email from I've never determined who, you can pick the car up Monday. Since he didn't answer, i never found out who he was, and didn't spend another $200 to change tickers.

I go get the car, communication does not work, they tried to fix it there, the door panels are loose, the glovebox won't close, and when we washed it we found the window at the very front of the driver's side is leaking like a sieve.

I emailed the supervisor who was answering emails, no one else was, asking if I could see what inspection the car had passed was, and I got no reply.

They were horrific to deal with, no reply was the default to anything, it was impossible to actually get hold of anyone. In hindsight, I wonder a little if they were trying to get people to not buy the cars they had deposited on,I deposited four days before they eliminated supercharging on used cars, so it was after that when I was trying to pick it up.

I'm self employed, have been for years, on my survey I said that if they'd fire whoever was in charge of used car sales and was completely useless I'd come work for "the man" and fix it, it was atrocious. Certified or not.

California Vehicle Code section 11713.18. I think the big problem Tesla had was this requirement:
Since they refused to provide inspection reports to people, they can't call the vehicles "Certified".
You can send the $100 to the Pongo Fund.
Tesla really should make this certification checklist available to the buyer. I can’t see any reason not to do so. If Tesla is declining to use the term CPO for a paperwork reason I don’t see how that’s any meaningful detraction from CPO.

I’ll still call these CPO because they meet the common understanding of a vehicle certified to receive a new warranty dated from delivery to new owner. For people looking to buy a used Tesla it’s the best add-on warranty value out there.

Attachments

• F2818C84-F766-4196-9BDC-5F9DD3ACB0A4.png
    F2818C84-F766-4196-9BDC-5F9DD3ACB0A4.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder a little if they were trying to get people to not buy the cars they had deposited on,I deposited four days before they eliminated supercharging on used cars, so it was after that when I was trying to pick it up.

I'm self employed, have been for years, on my survey I said that if they'd fire whoever was in charge of used car sales and was completely useless I'd come work for "the man" and fix it, it was atrocious. Certified or not.
I ordered after they dropped FUSC and get the same general feeling. Tesla used car sales is definitely broken. It’s slow, with little and often poor communication from different people who don’t seem to be on the same page.

I’m still waiting for my P85D. Story I was told was that when transport went to pick up the car it had a bad MCU. So Service was scheduled but they didn’t seem to even look at it for over a week, then they had to order a refurbished MCU and install it. Finally a month after I ordered the car is handed off to Logistics team again but no estimate of when it’ll be picked up by transport or ETA at the delivery center where I need to pick it up.

I had heard/read the horror stories and only reason I’m going through with this difficult and frustrating purchase is that I haven’t found a better deal on a P85D.

I want a vehicle with the Tesla warranty in place, and even though it’s been a huge delay I’m actually happy this car now has a replaced MCU. MCU failure would have been my biggest worry of ownership but now it’s already been replaced.

Tesla used car sales just seems as if there’s no coordination and that they really don’t care about the customer experience. Maybe they’re all millennials with no recollection or knowledge of what real Customer Service even is.

I’m not inside, and don’t know if anyone is held to account or fired. I do agree that there needs to be some big changes in Tesla used sales and that probably means some significant personnel changes. And no this isn’t an area Elon should take over. Hire good people to get the job done right.

Last edited: