Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think my Portable Charger is dying and I'm looking for a better solution.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 performance that I charge at my restaurant exclusively (a lot cheaper electricity cost than home). Lately, I have to reset my charger 3-5 times before it finally works. I've been getting errors in the car that the charger had a GFI fault (There is no moisture anywhere near it). It's getting worse very quickly, leading me to believe the built in GFI that to my knowledge, can not be replaced, is going bad.

My dilemma.. There is a lot of theft near our restaurant (The hotel next to us arranged a deal with the city to house the homeless for example). Our parking lot is out of the way of being visible to the public road, so there are drug deals, people using in their cars and so on in our parking lot that we are frequently kicking out. It's gotten so bad that I have to keep my parking lot lights on all night long, even though we are closed, just to act as a deterrent to theft and drug deals, yet it still happens.

If I install a Tesla Charger on the wall, externally accessible, I can guarantee you, the chord will be cut off within the first week and taken to a scrap yard for copper. My current solution has been to lock my mobile charger as well as a 30' RV 50 amp rated extension chord in my electric room. Each morning, when I get in, I have to unlock the gate to a gated storage outside the electric room (that can be climbed over), then unlock the electric room. Pull the cable out, plug it in, and run it out to my car. The mobile charge cable will not reach my car charger without the 50 amp RV extension cable.

My thoughts on a solution is to remove the 50 amp Nema 50 connector and plate it off. Instead, wire nut onto the lines I have in there, and run some EMT around the outdoor storage, to the front, next to the gate, poke it through to the exterior wall, and then get some sort of large lock box on the exterior that a Tesla Wall Charger could live in full time, that's got enough space for the charger and the cable. I was wondering if any of you have seen a box specifically designed for securing your Wall Mount Charger, or some other form of locking system for said charger, so people can't salvage the parts. The other question was, is the Wall Mount Charger waterproof/designed to be mounted in the elements, or do I need to make sure that the box I secure it in, is an outdoor, weatherproof box? So far, I'm looking at it for security, but wasn't sure if I need to look at it for weatherproof too.

The homeless are so bad out here that things like plastic bubble boxes over electrical outlets with locks on them don't work. The homeless break them open to charge their free cell phones the gov gives them, so they can enjoy the built in flashlight to help them steal more stuff! Sad world we live in.

Another question.. Does the Wall Charger need to communicate in some way with the vehicle, or does it communicate with the part that's physically plugged in? If I have the wall charger locked up in a solid steel box with only a hole for the cable to come out of, I want to make sure there won't be communication issues that prevent the car from connecting and accepting the charge.

If you're from Oceanside, CA, you might check on the solution your neighbor, Rainbow Sandals, in San Clemente has. He has his Wall Charger in a lockable box.
see PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
The Wall Charger is outdoor rated so the box only has to survive without rusting itself.
Be careful to not leave much coiled cable inside the closed box when charging or it could overheat.
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Any idea where he got it?